Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, what is it that sucks about HL2?

A user named cat

I think it's quite possible that HL2 is more overrated than Oblivion. Both shit games and both crowned kings of their genres by dipshits. I don't know which one is more boring and unplayable without mods.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Apart from steam, one thing really pisses me off in HL2 - arcadization.
It manifests in many things, among them are pattern-attacking bosses dropping glowy, beepy mines and relative harmlesness of APC fired rockets - HL1, while by no means realistic, at least had decency of turning Gordon into a freasy spot after he intercepted a rocked with his spectacled face.
I think that the game is a bit too short, a bit too linear, and ultimately feels too easy, even on the harder difficulties. By and large though, I find it to be one of the better and more memorable games released in the past decade.
It's a superb game.
I personally enjoyed HL1 more than HL2.
HL2's biggest failing was as a sequel to HL1

racofer

Thread Incliner
Phantasmal said:
I think it's quite possible that HL2 is more overrated than Oblivion. Both shit games and both crowned kings of their genres by dipshits. I don't know which one is more boring and unplayable without mods.

Eh... and what genre would that be on Oblivion's case?

A user named cat

Yes, RPG obviously. Of course we can say it's an action adventure game. But I meant according to gaming media and its followers, you know... the ones who did the crowning.

DraQ

Arcane
I almost forgot:

Vortigaunts.
It's cool to have them as allies.
It's cool to see them performing awesome and unexplainable feats, or beat antlions HtH.
It's extremely uncool to have their alien-ness replaces by the essence of Yoda.

They should have made them as alien as they were in HL1, up to and including communication by clicking and whirring noises - give them translator widgets translating their whirrs into crude and impersonal English if necessary - that would make them understandable, but could even amplify they alien-ness.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Pliskin said:
shihonage said:
Shortly after HL2 came out, I was boating until I got stuck. I got off the boat, went forward, killed a bunch of soldiers, then I started being chased by a helicopter.

I spent hours upon hours being chased and killed by that FUCKING HELICOPTER, trying everything I could think of.

Then I read a walk-through which said that I should've never left the boat. So I attempt to go back to the previous level where I left the boat but its no longer there.

Haven't touched the game since.

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were goin' all the way. Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole fuckin' program.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom