Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Wh40k 1st edition

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
tumblr_lvbru7M4eA1r1g40zo1_400.jpg

crufty

Arcane
retconning squats was sign of decline, wh40k rt rip

(although epic squat trains was a bit strange)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

I think squats have declined severely when they went away from the AD2000-style craziness of the RT rulebook and they tried to make them into viking-dwarves in space.

Ironically, the reason for their demise is that the designers felt they "had failed to do the Dwarf 'archetype' justice in its 40K incarnation".
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11181

Goddamnit, the rulebook squats were just right :shakefist: !

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

After some thinking I came to conclusion that the disappearance of Squats are linked to changing Orks from absolutely unpleasant Tolkien-style Orks to crazy lovable brutes.
Orks simply have stolen the Squat's niche.

Early Orks:
tumblr_ngsehv7bdL1r0uc86o1_1280.jpg

scan0013.jpg

spaceMarineAssault.jpg

Orks from early 90s:
pic1-1.jpg

cover1.jpg

crufty

Arcane
After some thinking I came to conclusion that the disappearance of Squats are linked to changing Orks from absolutely unpleasant Tolkien-style Orks to crazy lovable brutes.

god you can almost feel the opium / drug induced artistry going on in wh40k rt art...i loved that book. binding was shit.

there is some truth to your point.

the original wh40k Orks were 'pre GW Corp' Orks--they were definitely divergent, and there was no real cohesive art style to wh40k RT--it was as if, if the shit was cool it was stuffed in there, somewhere. The cooler the better. Then the game came after...game and art feeding after each other. It made for glorious, but at times truly unplayable, gaming.

The Orks you are posting are really just the WHFB Ork minis, some kind of GW standardization bs

orcs3.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
binding was shit.
My RT rulebook also fell apart :D .

god you can almost feel the opium / drug induced artistry going on in wh40k rt art...i loved that book. binding was shit.

there is some truth to your point.

the original wh40k Orks were 'pre GW Corp' Orks--they were definitely divergent, and there was no real cohesive art style to wh40k RT--it was as if, if the shit was cool it was stuffed in there, somewhere. The cooler the better. Then the game came after...game and art feeding after each other. It made for glorious, but at times truly unplayable, gaming.
RT rulebook heavily featured Wil Rees'es and Ian Miller's art, it gave a very dark and fucked up atmosphere to it. I'm not sure if drugs were involved, though. Possibly just all the inspiration from Durer, Bosch and Bruegel. Too bad they haven't continued with it. Though I heard Wil Rees'es designs for Space Marines were simply impossible to mass produce (in plastic?) due to the amount of detail which is the reason why they went with the simplified ones.
Wil Reese quit after the Rulebook and Ian Miller after Slaves to Darkness and Wh40k art lost a lot of grittiness.

My own style owes a lot to Wil Reese (combined with with my disgraphia :negative: ) and some of my works attempt to capture the atmosphere of the earliest Wh40k.

Another thing was the AD2000 comic book style that disappeared in later RT.

The Orks you are posting
Which ones?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom