Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So was Civ4 dumbed down?

Panthera

Scholar
Solution: Don't play Test of Time.

Panthera

Scholar
If you want to play Civilization 2, play Civilization 2. And if you want a fantasy or sci-fi setting for it, play a Fantastic Worlds scenario.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Also, modern era is boring. They stop at current day's tech and that's that. Pfff. They could easily make the tech tree go to 2100 or 2200, but nooo, let's stop before the sci-fi. You then go to Alpha Centauri, ignoring colonizing Mars and the Moon, which is face-palm worthy.
Well, BtS does come with a mod that extends the tech tree to sci-fi.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tails said:
Ok, so I'm trying out Civilization 2: Test of Time and I get way to often crashes, on patch 1.1. Is this normal under XP?

No. ToT works perfectly for me under XP, didn't have single bug or crash.
I imagine the most obvious solution will be to visit CivFanatics

Tails

Arbiter
Panthera said:
If you want to play Civilization 2, play Civilization 2. And if you want a fantasy or sci-fi setting for it, play a Fantastic Worlds scenario.
Test of Time looks mucho mucho better then vanilla Civilization 2 :graphicwhore:, but it seems lacking of throne/castle thing and videos for wonder of worlds. I can live without them though.

MetalCraze said:
No. ToT works perfectly for me under XP, didn't have single bug or crash.
I imagine the most obvious solution will be to visit CivFanatics
I just reinstalled it and works fine now. Maybe installer corrupted some files or somethin.

Inanity

Novice
I wanted to like the game and i actually did up until the point that my 20th century army started to get wiped out by spam attacks from a neighbor who was using up their leftover medieval units.

I can understand that combat is abstracted but that was too much.I had destroyed their modern army pretty quickly with combined arms when endless waves of catapults and knights started to pour out of their cities,my only guess is that either the AI never disbanded old units or was in the process of upgrading them,they were losing alot of those units at first but i just couldn't keep up with the numbers.I still have no idea how it was able to afford to keep all those units,on top of its modern force, but it was crazy to think that my tanks were being destroyed by lances and swords and short range rock hurling artillery and my infantry fared even worse.I had also hoped they had gotten rid of the movement penalty from the last gamewhen in foriegn territory which was a second frustrating aspect of what happened as my modern mechanized force moved at a snails pace while endless waves of 12th century units used railroads to rush to the front.

I still play it occasionally but once i hit the 20th century i don't continue if war breaks out.

Inanity

Novice
I did enough early nation stomping in Civ2.That route gets a little old after awhile.

Now i only go to war if a nation attacks or is becoming a clear danger to my own.

NotAnAlt

Educated
Inanity said:
I did enough early nation stomping in Civ2.That route gets a little old after awhile.

Now i only go to war if a nation attacks or is becoming a clear danger to my own.

Unless it's modern era right? :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom