Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So the PoP trilogy. Worth it?

racofer

Thread Incliner
I'm talking about the Sands of Time, Warrior Within and Two Thrones obviously.

I've only played Sands of Time back when it was new and I enjoyed it very much. I'm wondering if the other games are worth it as well, given that just recently I've realized I never bothered with then.

What says you, Codexia?

racofer

Thread Incliner
2ajup3a.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
racofer said:
I've only played Sands of Time back when it was new and I enjoyed it very much. I'm wondering if the other games are worth it as well, given that just recently I've realized I never bothered with then.
Sands of Time was designed by Jordan Mechner. The others were not. This, sadly, says it all. I never tried Forgotten Sands though. Some not-so-trustworthy friends claim it's the best one since SoT, but I don't know if that's true.

root said:
is forgotten sands any good? i'm having fun with ass creed right now, but the parkour feels a bit clunky and sometimes develops a mind of its own
Also give AC2 a go, whereas 1 felt like an alpha build this is proper game with a great atmosphere and art design although it obviously fails up to the who assassin thing like its predecessor. Had lots of fun with it.

They are good. Two thrones resembles more sands of time, considering level design.

Warrior within has losts of backtracking. It's a longer game, and if you miss stuff, you may not get the best ending.

combat in these two are better than in SoT. Forgotten sands is not so good, but has the same platform system from the trilogy. But play only if you like the trilogy and want to play more similar games.

Skip the cell shaded prince.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Warrior Within is worth a shot, even though it's GRIMDARK to the maximum, has shitloads of backtracking, bad soundtrack, bugs and maybe 5 levels at best (because of the backtracking), but at least the combat is fun.

Don't bother with Two Thrones. The 'end of the story' is half-assed and looks like it was done in 5 minutes, combat is worse than in Sands of Time (in theory, it's the same as in WW, but in reality, you fight like 3 types of enemies which gets old FAST), plot holes are gigantic, and it dropped the mythic oriental feel SoT and, to a lesser degree, WW had.

I've been replaying the whole trilogy some time ago, and when I got to TT, I dropped it like halfway because of how meh it was.

MetalCraze

Arcane
racofer said:
I'm talking about the Sands of Time, Warrior Within and Two Thrones obviously.

Yes. They are ok. The "sequels" to SoT are more of the same so if you liked that you'll like these.

Lightknight

Liturgist
combat in these two are better than in SoT.
Really ? In what way ? In SoT combat was somewhat repetitive but easily controlled, when i started WW - OMG, they just throw me into action, while burying me under all-sorts of messages about what button does what, which fly by so fast i sometimes cant even read them (that, and the usual bullshit of "press button 1+8", WTF is button 8 ? Is it square or left shift 2 ??? )
So i just randomly mashed buttons in combat, got about a quarter in the game and dropped it.

Joghurt

Augur
Yes the games are worth it.

I's been a long time since I've played those games, but I can remember that I liked the Two Thrones one the best. Don't remember why. One thing I remember is that I in fact liked Warrior Within, but it was annoying because prince turned into some badass emo dude.

taplonaplo

Scholar
WW had much better combat system. On lower difficulty it may turn into button mashing, but on higher they can actually kill you if you are doing that (as i remember). I remember the least about TT. It had nothing really memorable, neither too bad or good. If you are not bored of the gameplay at that point, you may as well give it a shot.
Forgotten sands is mediocre. I wouldn't say outright crap, but it leaves a lot to be desired. The platforming in the last tower was really fun tho.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I liked Two Thrones much better than Boreior Within; the atmosphere felt a long stronger to me, there was less tedious backtracking, and the Dark Prince made for a nice change of pace even if its sections were sometimes a bit drawn-out. And it didn't have fucking Godsmack.

That said, I should really get around to playing Sands of Time.

lightbane

Arcane
TT's ending was REALLY half-assed: According to the "true" ending of WW, the Prince, after fucking up so much with the timeline and his alternate-self a paradox or something like that happened giving birth to the "dark Prince" (who killed his father and took over the city, what's more, you can see on the true ending it was more like a physical entity instead of a "dark side"). Earlier trailers of Two Thrones show that the Empress of Time commited suicide to release once more the Sands of Time, and that the Dark Prince's corruption was permanent and unstoppable (there were rumours of a bad ending where the Dark Prince possesed the Prince and shit happened). Suddenly, the developers decided for some reason to drop everything and asspull a shitty storyline filled with plotholes, with an ending that vaguely connects to the 1st game (also, despite the Sands were released everything about the Dahaka part was completely ignored *facepalm*) :decline:

catfood

AGAIN
I've only played SoT and WW and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. For instance SoT has shit combat but WW has backtracking. I've had fun with them overall.

Darth Roxor said:
Don't bother with Two Thrones. The 'end of the story' is half-assed and looks like it was done in 5 minutes, combat is worse than in Sands of Time (in theory, it's the same as in WW, but in reality, you fight like 3 types of enemies which gets old FAST), plot holes are gigantic, and it dropped the mythic oriental feel SoT and, to a lesser degree, WW had.

I liked the end. I felt it was fitting and gave a good closure. I remeber the end of thief trilogy.

About combat, I hated they cut the ability to dismember. The death animations got weird. Though now it has quicktime events and giant bosses. And platforming is improved, with new traps around. And now there's those chariot sequences. And it felt closer to SoT style, more than WW i think.

About plot holes, time travel stories has lots of them, but I can't say two thrones has significant ones. In fact, warrior within had one that was kind of a cheat: the second chance as a sandwraith. When you're playing the prince, the sandwraith dies by the hand os the dahaka. When you're plaiyng as the sandwraith and reaches the moment of your death, you give the prince to the dahaka, creating a paradox. Of course, that's the point of that mask... but...

Lightknight said:
Really ? In what way ? In SoT combat was somewhat repetitive but easily controlled, when i started WW - OMG, they just throw me into action, while burying me under all-sorts of messages about what button does what, which fly by so fast i sometimes cant even read them (that, and the usual bullshit of "press button 1+8", WTF is button 8 ? Is it square or left shift 2 ??? )
So i just randomly mashed buttons in combat, got about a quarter in the game and dropped it.

Use the mouse+keyboard. Best control system ever. Anyway, WW starts with intense action and a boss fight that, if you're not used to the controls, you die a lot. But recently I replayed and I felt it was very easy.

But mashing? man, combat had a lot of option that I felt I was in complete control of the character.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Slaughter said:
About plot holes, time travel stories has lots of them, but I can't say two thrones has significant ones. In fact, warrior within had one that was kind of a cheat: the second chance as a sandwraith. When you're playing the prince, the sandwraith dies by the hand os the dahaka. When you're plaiyng as the sandwraith and reaches the moment of your death, you give the prince to the dahaka, creating a paradox. Of course, that's the point of that mask... but...

That sort of stuff I can accept because it sortof works in the "reality" of the game. What I find more problematic is the motivation for the character: the dahaka is after the Prince because he created a paradox in SoT (and even then the thing has already been done so killing the Prince after the fact is more of a punishment than an attempt to fix the timeline) and his logic is that to save himself he must create another paradox. And then you have more retarded deus ex machina and boring dialogs. But there is a villain wearing a metal thong, though she gets killed too fast.

Gragt said:
That sort of stuff I can accept because it sortof works in the "reality" of the game. What I find more problematic is the motivation for the character: the dahaka is after the Prince because he created a paradox in SoT (and even then the thing has already been done so killing the Prince after the fact is more of a punishment than an attempt to fix the timeline) and his logic is that to save himself he must create another paradox. And then you have more retarded deus ex machina and boring dialogs. But there is a villain wearing a metal thong, though she gets killed too fast.

What amazes me is that warrior within is seven years from SoT. And forgotten sands is in between. No mention of the dahaka in FS.

In fact, there was no paradox in the first sands of time anyway.

Archibald

Arcane
SoT was my second favorite PoP, original obvious was the best :love:

Anyway, WW and TT went THIS IS MATURE SHIT with blood and boobs/ass flying all around the screan. Story got stupid fast, whole atmosphere got ruined. I wouldn`t say that WW and TT improved on anything else besides combat, and imo combat was never a main draw for PoP series.

Ermm

Erudite
Sands of Time was good.

Warrior Within was bad because it's sudden dark, grim style was just craptastic since reboot was going in different direction.

Haven't really played Two Thrones but it was okayish.

I recommend better to get new POP WII version since it's 100% different and plays like original (that's what I've heard, but I don't have WII)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Slaughter said:
In fact, there was no paradox in the first sands of time anyway.

Well true, it is more correct to say that the dahaka is after the Prince because he altered the time-line, and his solution to that is alter the time-line further.

Gragt said:
Well true, it is more correct to say that the dahaka is after the Prince because he altered the time-line, and his solution to that is alter the time-line further.

In fact, it's not clear. The prince changed the timeline in the first game only at the end, which everything that happened through the game never really happening. However, the prince retained the memory of those events and the change the timeline by killing the vizier before he could betray the maharaja.

But then, in warrior within, they say that the dahaka is going after the prince because he opened the sands, and that old guy says there's a prophecy (that never really apeared before) that whomever open the sands must die. The prince of course opened it in the firt one. But since everything rewinded, he never really opened... He only reminds those events, but they never occurred. So there was no reason for the dahaka going after the prince. Guess he was just pissed.

So, that's why the paradox and plot holes are in WW.

But all things considered, I liked how the sands were never created in the end of WW, and that's why farah, the vizier don't really remeber the prince or any event whatsoever in T2T. And all the sand artifacts (the dagger, the vizier's staff, farah's medallion and the hourglass) are useless shit since the empress came to the present and is alive.

Maybe the dahaka was after the prince because of the fact that it was him who created the sands in the past, in WW. But what took the dahaka so long?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom