Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Old World Blues, are they serious?

Albers

Educated
Dead Money's great. More survival horror/adventure game type stuff than the regular game but a nice diversion. OWB, on the other hand, is crap. Lame attempts at humor, very forced retro-50's sci-fi bullshit which falls flat, and just massive amounts of boring, respawning, hp-bloated enemies. And of course new guns, armor and other loot, but it's just re-skinned, retextured stuff from previous DLCs and the vanilla game.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's worth noting that Elijah's Advanced LAER is probably the most powerful Energy Weapon in the entire game, and the LAER itself is also pretty powerful. I get the feeling Old World Blues was almost balanced specifically for those guns.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
After playing Dead Money (loved story and characters, gameplay I wasn't too keen on) I have the Holorifle. SHIT IS GUD

Using it for almost everything, switching to Elijah's LAER for hard targets, and explosive weapons for very hard fights. Grenades are insane when three levels of Demolition Expert and 100 in explosives.

Harold

Arcane
Yeah, Dead Money was pretty hit or miss in terms of gameplay for most people. The only new 'feature' that bothered me was the fucking platforming - it was the least prominent but it really grated on my nerves, especially at the end. The story and reactivity to your choices were great, though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really loved the idea thinly spread resources and the HP-draining cloud. The problem was that in my game I had no skills like survival, melee or unarmed or anything to make up for the lack of resources, so sadly the design forced me to "run through" enemies. I.e. I ran all the time, never fought, and though it was exciting at first (resource-strain, yay) the game never gave me the tools to attempt creative work-arounds. At least in my game what should have been an epic culmination where I had to make it versus an overwhelming opposition became rinse-repeat reload "platforming-ish" run-no-gun through the streets to avoid the Ghost People.

So yeah. Dead Money could have been really epic. I'd probably have liked it more with another build.

Stinger

Arcane
You might have had bad survival but didn't you try using the Sierra Madre chips? That helps with providing resources if your crafting sucks.

I didn't have good sneak, survival, melee or unarmed. Managed to use my bare minimum survival to make some really weak health gaining stuff (and promptly got addicted to them) while using the Sierra Madre chips to make super stims every so often. I found out later that there's a chip recipe for regular stims as well which would no doubt make the game a lot easier. Before entering teh vault Dog/God also helps to get you by (especially Dog).

Personally in spite of a build not really fit for Dead Money's challenges I found it great fun, never really used explosives but as I got cornered I found myself just throwing landmines at everyone just to survive and it felt genuinely fun.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You misunderstand. Health wasn't the problem - dealing any sort of damage was. The sierra madre chips couldn't help me generate energy cells or anything like that, and I found little to no explosives.

Harold

Arcane
I remember just using throwing spears like crazy, aiming for the head, which was easiest to cripple and thus insta-kill the ghost people.

Nigro

Educated
I agree m8, it's fucking ridiculous, it takes 100 bullets each robo scorpion

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Dead Money was the only of the New Vegas DLC I actually enjoyed, and even so it felt a bit too scripted at times.

OWB was shitty, and Honest Hearts was just an absolute joke. I literally rushed through Honest Hearts simply because the story and setting was so crap. Couldn't keep my attention for shit. Aside from things that happened to be between me and my magic quest marker, I didn't bother exploring any additional areas in the DLC.

Overall, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I found all of the Fallout 3 DLC a lot more fun and engaging than the NV DLC.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Dead Money was the only of the New Vegas DLC I actually enjoyed, and even so it felt a bit too scripted at times.

OWB was shitty, and Honest Hearts was just an absolute joke. I literally rushed through Honest Hearts simply because the story and setting was so crap. Couldn't keep my attention for shit. Aside from things that happened to be between me and my magic quest marker, I didn't bother exploring any additional areas in the DLC.

Overall, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I found all of the Fallout 3 DLC a lot more fun and engaging than the NV DLC.

Hmmm, The Pitt was okay I guess, the rest were pretty bad. I really liked Honest Hearts, although yeah, the areas to explore outside of the main questline were pretty boring. I liked Joshua Graham's character alot though, and how he fed into the backstory of the Legion

Plus his weapon is mean as, gives cunts hidings left right and centre.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
New Vegas overall is shit so no wonder DLCs are even worse.

Multi penised feet mang!

So fucking good writing there!

However, if you hated Cazadores, how do you feel about robot scorpions with twice Cazadore-HP?

At least the robot scorpions were made of metal, i.e. armored, i.e. loads of hit points. AND THEY DIDN'T FLY

BUGS_-_Tarantula_Hawk_Wasp.jpg

Pepsis_formosa02.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Old OP is old, but seriously don't play this shit on very hard. All it does is increase enemy HP and damage, big fucking whoop. Play on normal in hardcore mode and enjoy less pointless HP bloat.

Also Old World Blues is good for dialogue and The Sink, not much else. Honest Hearts is good for exploration and not much else. Dead Money is arguably the one with good gameplay. I haven't played Lonesome Road yet.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Old OP is old, but seriously don't play this shit on very hard. All it does is increase enemy HP and damage, big fucking whoop. Play on normal in hardcore mode and enjoy less pointless HP bloat.

But game is only challenging with bloated HP and damage.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Also Old World Blues is good for dialogue
Go grab your brain with your multi-penised hands.

grotsnik

Arcane
I think Avellone explicitly said in-interview that the fuckbots line was something he came up with when trying to give the level designers an idea of the landscape. It's one of those 'And it was hilarious, we all had such a laugh in the office at the time, and we said, yeah, that just has to go in the game!' lines that they should probably just have written on the whiteboard, chuckled at for the next few months, and then not put in the game.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Hmmm, The Pitt was okay I guess, the rest were pretty bad. I really liked Honest Hearts, although yeah, the areas to explore outside of the main questline were pretty boring. I liked Joshua Graham's character alot though, and how he fed into the backstory of the Legion

Plus his weapon is mean as, gives cunts hidings left right and centre.

I dunno, I enjoyed both The Pitt and Point Lookout, The Pitt being the better of the two. Mothership Zeta was okay, but nothing to really write home about. Can't even remember the fourth FO3 DLC, so I'm just going to assume it was probably not good enough for me to even remember.

I dunno, I though New Vegas as a game was a lot better than FO3, but none of its DLCs really had that extra something to keep my attention, except maybe for Dead Money.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

But game is only challenging with bloated HP and damage.

No, it just takes longer to kill shit. I don't view that as added challenge, just added hassle... there is a difference. Hardcore mode is actual added difficulty. Added objectives or restrictions in Thief is added difficulty. Enemies take forever to kill is just fuck off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom