Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, let's make a list of hardcore games(not rpg).

Luzur

Good Sir
hardcore as in hard to play or just hardcore in style?

Moonstone.

Destroid

Arcane
To my mind this comes down to accessibility, the more 'work' you need to put in before you can play the game properly.

OFP and Hearts of Iron are probably the most hardcore games I have played a lot of. I recall when I was younger firing up EU2 and quitting halfway through the tutorial.

Most comlicated strategy games come under this category, and anything with exceedingly high difficulty right off the bat.

oscar

Arcane
Destroid said:
OFP and Hearts of Iron are probably the most hardcore games I have played a lot of. I recall when I was younger firing up EU2 and quitting halfway through the tutorial.

Only thing with Paradox games is they become relatively easy when you figure out the game mechanics. The real challenge is learning the details.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Warhammer Shadow of the Horned Rat is the only game I ever played for which I can honestly say it was difficult.

Bravo Romeo Delta. The most realistic simulation of global thermonuclear warfare set in the last thirty years that I have been able to find. It is essentially unwinnable, but it's not too boring to try anyway.

Zomg

Arbiter
Fighting games are ridiculously hardcore

You can't really do like abandonware or indie shit with them though because you have to constantly migrate to whatever human beings are currently playing and hope the popular shit is decent because there is no recourse

Or you can be a fagboat and play whatever shit with your 4 buddies but that's not the hardcore thing I'm talking about.

Martin

Educated
Severance: blade of darkness.

It was so hardcore I gave up and uninstalled, pretty hardcore though.

And XCOM on a high enough difficulty setting is pretty hardcore too.

So is mastering prince of persia 1 to the point of having tons of minutes left

and...

fuck this shit.

Boyarpunk said:
Red Orchestra
Not really. Sure, a rifle shot in the middle of the torso is surely going to bring you down and being under fire blurs your vision and shakes your aim, but that's as hardcore as it gets. It's not much of a deep game. Tank combat is somewhat deep, but it's not even at simulation levels. It's still a great game though. It's very easy to get into (at least it was for me), yet it somehow manages to encourage players to use more realistic infantry and tank tactics. Unlike Call of Duty where you run around shooting whatever comes out (popamole?).

Now for my contribution

Project Reality. A BF2 mod, but I feel there's enough to call it it's own game. The majority of the maps are kilometers wide. Most of my time in that game is spent building a fire base for my platoon, patrolling the area around an objective, dropping off supplies to firebases, or moving towards an objective. I usually spend that time cracking jokes with my squad and stuff. When I'm not doing those, I'm surveying enemy movements, performing flanking maneuvers, laying down a base of fire, or taking cover from an airstrike or artillery strike. Those short moments are worth all the boring moments, as they're extremely intense and fun.

Gears of War, now that's a fucking hardcore game. You have chainsaws mounted onto machine guns in which you can use to cut ugly ass motherfuckers in half.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom