Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, I've tried Planescape Torment

bishop7

Novice
While I can't agree with a single point you've made ... I will concede it's a different kind of RPG for different tastes.

If power-gaming through hack-and-slash and some medium roleplaying / questing is your thing, I can imagine you WOULD be disappointed with PS:T.

If you're really into original dialogue, with great presentation for the story it's trying to tell (the dungeon hack at the beginning is not typical of most of the gameplay later on , BTW) along with some of the best character development in ANY game (much less any RPG), PS:T is unmatched, IMO.

Morbus

Scholar
Nerve Gas said:
Any reason why I should continue playing? Enlighten me, oh experts of RPGs. Is it at least half as good as BG 2? I wouldn't even dare compare it to BG 1.
Oh poor little guy. Go play KotOR and whatnot. Mass Effect is coming up soon. Go go, you don't like RPG's. You like graphics and stories. And kewl features.

Black

Arcane
Nicolai said:
Let me be the first to

1188661142219rj9.jpg

1186001753999ot4.jpg

Back to oblivion now, eh Gas?

abstract

Scholar
That's right, go ahead and fuck up another page of this topic by quoting an oversized image.

DemonKing

Arcane
Well, I can understand that PS:T isn't for everyone...I personally prefer the BG series as far as character development and certainly combat go. I also agree that PS:T is a bit too wordy - it seems more like a novel than a game at times. Not that I have anything against novels, but when I boot up a game I don't do it because I want to read pageloads of text.

If you really liked BG and haven't tried it yet, then the IWD series is definitely the way to go (same engine/graphics). I actually prefer the IWD games to even the BG ones for their beautiful art direction, atmosphere and music.

sabishii

Arbiter
Okay, seriously:

Finish the goddamn game before complaining about it. If you're wondering if the game gets better, Google some reviews or search these forums for our testimonials. It's a fucking 8 year old game that is as famous as BG in any RPG community, including Gamespot's probably. It's like going to a BG forum and asking, "Hai2u is Balder's Gate gud???"

when I boot up a game I don't do it because I want to read pageloads of text.
When I boot up an RPG I don't do it to mindlessly hack at a million enemies. God, Diablo is such a crappy game.

Don't like to read in a game? Then don't play that fucking game. I'm not attacking you for not wanting to read, but it's not the game's fault that you don't want to read in a game. On the other hand, there are PLENTY of people that APPRECIATE the detailed descriptions and dialogue in PST. But I suppose they should have taken all those words out in an attempt to please everyone, amirite? (Directed towards Nerve Gas, not DemonKing)

Black

Arcane
abstract said:
That's right, go ahead and fuck up another page of this topic by quoting an oversized image.
You're oversized.

Nerve Gas

Educated
DemonKing said:
Well, I can understand that PS:T isn't for everyone...I personally prefer the BG series as far as character development and certainly combat go. I also agree that PS:T is a bit too wordy - it seems more like a novel than a game at times. Not that I have anything against novels, but when I boot up a game I don't do it because I want to read pageloads of text.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of novels - Tolkien and Salvatore especially - but a novel is a novel and a game is a game. Bioware knew that when they made Baldur's Gate - they had the perfect balance of text and action. The Planescape guys didn't figure it out, and thus made a crappier game. At least, that's my opinion. If you disagree, you don't have to be so aggressive. Sigh...

sabishii

Arbiter
Nerve Gas said:
The Planescape guys didn't figure it out, and thus made a crappier game. At least, that's my opinion.
Yep, all action games are crappy games (IN MY OPINION) because I don't like combat in my games.

Black

Arcane
Nerve Gas said:
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of novels - Tolkien and Salvatore especially - but a novel is a novel and a game is a game. Bioware knew that when they made Baldur's Gate - they had the perfect balance of text and action

Really? Because BG is more like AD&D hack 'n slash for me than solid rpg.

Nerve Gas

Educated
sabishii said:
Nerve Gas said:
The Planescape guys didn't figure it out, and thus made a crappier game. At least, that's my opinion.
Yep, all action games are crappy games (IN MY OPINION) because I don't like combat in my games.
Do you realize that you're calling one of the most popular game genres crappy?

Black

Arcane
Nerve Gas said:
sabishii said:
Nerve Gas said:

Uh, since when popularity = quality?
No, seriously, what?

ALL HAIL THE SIMS!!!1

And Oblivion

sabishii

Arbiter
Nerve Gas said:
sabishii said:
Nerve Gas said:
Do you realize that you're calling one of the most popular RPGs crappy?

Nerve Gas

Educated
Black said:
ALL HAIL THE SIMS!!!1
Can you give any reason why the sims is a bad game? Or do you simply hate it because it's popular?

And Oblivion
Oblivion is popular because most people haven't tried any of the really good classic RPGs.

Monolith

Prophet
Like what, BG? Most people that liked Oblivion wouldn't like BG (or any other really good classic RPG) because there's too much to read. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

hotdognights

Novice
Monolith said:
Like what, BG? Most people that liked Oblivion wouldn't like BG (or any other really good classic RPG) because there's too much to read. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

I feel really fucking old when I hear Baldur's Gate referred to as "classic-" and that's not a judgment of quality, just age.

BG2 was the Oblivion of its day, centered around slashing and fireballing hordes of enemies with mediocre writing to pin the different fights together. There was a bit more thought to the combat than in Oblivion, so I guess Oblivion is just a mark of how far we've declined.

@the OP: If Tolkien and Salvatore are your idea of great novels, and you're over the age of 16, I'm gonna wonder about your taste beyond video games...

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I'm a big fan of novels - Tolkien and Salvatore especially

15 years old kid, genuine retard, or brilliant troll? YOU DECIDE
Either way, I salute your efforts, sir. :romansalute:
At least, that's my opinion. If you disagree, you don't have to be so aggressive. Sigh...

Here is the recap just for you kid/moron/man of impressive abilities: your tastes are shit, thus your opinions are invalid. Tastes have to be developped, they are not good by default. Come back when your tastes are not shit.

On a side note – those"HAY GUYS I JUST PLAYED PLANETSCAPE TORMENT" threads piss me off. What do you want, a medal? Welcome to 2007, assholes. Where were you 8 years ago? Sucking dick? That's right, you were sucking penis. Don't try to deny it.

MetalCraze

Arcane

shoot'em all are crap. Because for 20 years they bring all the same shit. only with better graphics.

Can you give any reason why the sims is a bad game? Or do you simply hate it because it's popular?

barbie-doll casual simulator that does not make your brains work. Quite the contrary even.

Like what, BG? Most people that liked Oblivion wouldn't like BG (or any other really good classic RPG) because there's too much to read

Well at least in Ass Effect Bioware did a great job helping "most people" not to get very tired and sleepy while reading dialogues.

Nedrah

Erudite
I played through BG2 three times, it's a great game. It's just a completely different kind of game compared to PS:T, which I love for different reasons. If you were going into this assuming the games would be similar based on the use of the infinity engine, your playthrough was pretty much doomed from the beginning on. You have to be open to the game, it's world, the people in it and the story you are told. That's going to involve a lot of reading, if you're a person who for some reason likes to keep that and playing games mutually exclusive, don't bother. The games themes and (often described via text) situations can also be a lot more mature than BG, so that should be kept in mind, too. Lastly, the game often offers you more ways of handling situations than may be apparent at first. If a situation seems dull to you, that may often be because you chose to approach it in a dull way. The lack of character creation may seem a bit odd at first, especially if you're used to Bioware stuff (I'm currently replaying KOTOR, fun game with some cool ideas). If you actually see the game through, you'll understand why it had to be like that - I feel that the solution used in the game was very elegant, it just makes sense while offering you a lot more freedom of development than it may seem in the beginning.

I, personally, like wordy games - in fact I would have liked to see more dialogue from some of PS:T's Npcs, and it could have done with a few hundred more sensate stones, too - but I generally tend to enjoy reading and appreciate it a lot when good and interesting writing and an interactive game experience come together - in fact, to me that's a bigger deal than class or skill systems or all the char customization in the world.

All that being said, you propably already ruined the game for yourself by judging it by standards that it never tried to apply to. Your loss, really. Simply don't play, there's plenty of stuff that may be more to your taste out there (good luck finding anything touching the combination of scope and simple questing fun of BG2, though :()

Xi

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
MasPingon said:
Maybe he saw VD Codex avatar on bethesda FO3 forum?
My avatar was removed and my account was suspended.

No worries. If you're capable of typing an entire paragraph the Admins generally start to scrutinize on you. "This one is capable of rational thought. Can him!" If anything it is a compliment. Seriously, 99% of the posts on that forum are a single sentence consisting of 5-6 words. If you type any more than that, no one will even read it. Don't waste your time.

Graphics are what make a game to those morons anymore. It's the #1 thing people will rag on, especially if they aren't up to par. Fucking ridiculous! It wasn't always like that over there either. How times have changed.

MetalCraze

Arcane
How times have changed.

Times didn't change because people always wanted nicer graphics. just remember how doom, quake, hl were praised because of it.

Problem is in something else I think. Like now every moron can buy pc or console. Ages ago to buy pc hard work was required - thus people expected much from pc and so gamedevs tried to please them with original things. Also at that time OS'es were very uncomfortable when compared to todays point n click stuff, so morons were filtered automatically.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
skyway said:
My avatar was removed and my account was suspended.

gosh, they are quick ones. waited for half of a century to do it.

what was the reason btw?
I dared to comment on moderators' actions and criticize Bethesda. They deleted my post and suspended me. Oh well...

Nerve Gas said:
I'm a big fan of novels - Tolkien and Salvatore especially...
Come on. That was way over the top. It ruined my "suspension of disbelief".

Redeye

Arcane
Nerve Gas said:
And it pretty much, well, kinda sucked.
I was recommended this game and Fallout time and again, by people I had a high opinion of on various forums. I was also told about this site, and it's supposedly exquisite taste in RPGs.
So, I gave Fallout a try, but gave up on it quite soon. It just wasn't engaging, the graphics were poor, and whatever, I didn't like it.
Planetscape Torment, on the other hand, seemed like it could be a fun game. So I gave it a try.
Cool starting movie, although it left me WTFing for a moment. What was going on there?
The character creation seemed nice, at first. The first step was choosing stats. Nice. It used the same system as Baldur's Gate, so that's always a plus. I decided to play a mage, so I put most of my points in INT, DEX and CON. And then I pressed next.
WTF? That was it? No choosing your class? Not even choosing your appearance and name? What's up with that? Is this supposed to be a fucking RPG?
So I talk to the skull, Morte, way too long for a goddamn starting conversation in an RPG. It would be cool if this was an adventure game, but really, RPGs should be more like Baldur's Gate, not goddamn Syberia or The Longest Journey.
The skull becomes a party member, cool, but it seems he can't be customized because he's a skull. WTF again?
I get out of the mortuary, having fought all the guys upstairs and NOT having fought the zombies. I suppose the designers were trying to be original, like "we have rooms full of zombies but they are friendly, isn't our game soooo cool because of that?".
I'm supposed to find Pharod, but apparently nobody knows. And to figure out who actually knows, I have to read pages and more pages of text. Really, if I knew that the game was like that I would have rather read the BG novels again instead. Or jumped off a bridge (not sure which is worse).
So I find him, and he sends me into a dungeon, to find some artifact. Boy, how original... :roll: Inside the dungeon, there are dozens of zombies, skeletons and all those stuff. Really, they were fun the first couple of games, but enough is enough.
Any reason why I should continue playing? Enlighten me, oh experts of RPGs. Is it at least half as good as BG 2? I wouldn't even dare compare it to BG 1.

Think of it as Method Acting, with multiple choices.

And you get to put together a crew of only slightly cliched characters.

You get the cheesy demon girl thief, the succubus Nun, Burning Man, A Vulcan Samurai, etc.

A great deal of the game is alignment choices and word puzzles.

You can change class but it's slightly annoying.

Stuffing the guts of a previous incarnation back inside yourself and having a flashback as a result is pretty cool.

It's like a Black Isle Adventure Game made for the Infinity Engine.
Perhaps this review will help you stick it out to the end.

"... it's a little like moving half-inch high people through the world's most psychedelic carpet."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom