Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix So, I've been replaying Final Fantasy 2 (J)

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
... and it's still the best game in the series. By far.

I mean, it's clearly not a masterpiece, it's an unpolished mess with a silly anime plot and too many random encounters, but unlike the rest of the series it actually tries to be an actual game. Here the player has to actively build his characters and monitor their attributes all the time, and if they don't grow the way he anticipated, he should better change his strategy or they will soon become useless. This game will punish those who expect to effectively level their characters up by just killing random shit, and that's what Final Fantasy fans hate the most, they despise not being able to turn their brains off to play on auto-pilot and let the plot unfold by itself. Which is why people should avoid any modern release of this game, SquareEnix is trying hard to turn this into yet another Final Fantasy game by dumbing-down its systems and focusing on its retarded plot.

The use-based system's not perfect as it encourages some degenerate behavior, but the game's quite balanced, people who resort to silly exploits and griding are morons ruining their own experience. My biggest complain would be that you have to mindlessly cast some very useful spells like Heal (Esuna?) during random encounters, since it's impossible to level them up organically, but other than that, grinding is not necessary.

For instance, during the second half of my game my main character became so agile that he was impervious to physical damage, his evasion grew up so high despite wearing heavy armor that I had to turn him into a dual-wielding guy, but because of this his HP growth stalled, making the end-game still challenging, especially against enemy casters. That of course would have been ruined if I decided to attack him with my own party members to artificially inflate his numbers.
ntafzKl.jpg

So, I would like to play more games like this one. I've tried a couple of Romancing Saga games in the past expecting the same kind of experience, but I was utterly disappointed. I could be wrong (it has been a while), but attributes there seemed to level up at random, so what's the point of that? I want to be able to tune-up my own characters, not to select their backgrounds and watch how their stats grow regardless of what I do in combat. Any suggestions?

newtmonkey

Arcane
FF2(J) gets a bad rap because people tend to just follow the garbage FAQs/walkthroughs/LPs out there that recommend grinding over just playing the game normally, when the latter is much more enjoyable and efficient. I played through the game on the PSX remake using the original difficulty level and mechanics, and didn't have to grind at all, either.

The biggest issue with this game imo is the sheer number of empty rooms in the dungeons. It made exploring pretty annoying.

Repressed Homosexual
Indeed only the original NES versions of the first three FF are worth playing. Any updated ones are ruined due to the piss easy difficulty and other "quality of life" features.

newtmonkey

Arcane
The PSX remakes of FF1&2 are also great. They both have options to just use the original famicom version difficulty level and mechanics.

Falksi

Arcane
I've never stepped this far back into FF's history (earliest game for me is FF4 on the SNES). Might give it a whirl now. Certainly sounds interesting.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I've never stepped this far back into FF's history (earliest game for me is FF4 on the SNES). Might give it a whirl now. Certainly sounds interesting.
Bear in mind that unlike latter games in the series, these early entries are quite janky, with some skills and spells being completely broken, and an exasperating random encounter rate that is way worse than in older games like Wizardry. Still, they can be quite enjoyable, Final Fantasy 1, 3 and 5 are cute little Wizardry/Phantasie clones, while Final Fantasy 2 was trying to do its own thing. The rest of the series falls into the "linear storyfag games with cosmetic RPG elements" category.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom