Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I'm playing Pure and it's

MetalCraze

Arcane
P. cool :smug:

I've completed 26/50 races in a past few days and it's still quite fun. Mostly due to a good level design, both in visual department and track design department. Especially I like how tracks are non-linear and most of the time there are no better or worse ways through them and how these non-linear tracks often overlay each other. And of course crazy jumps with gorgeous backgrounds that remind me of old NFS'es (castles, mountains, forests, euro-towns).
Of course being multiplatform has its cons. Textures and models are so 5 years ago as it's with everything that comes out for next-gen bricks now but the biggest problem is that it never was made with PC in mind. Starting from menu with no mouse cursor (preposterous!) and ending with a gameplay that definitely requires a gamepad (as there are cool tricks which require you to press 4-5 buttons at the same time). It's still playable with a keyboard if you'll tweak controls but you will still miss quite a number of tricks as it's impossible to do them with the keyboard.
I found my dusty gamepad which unfortunately has a broken left stick and trying to play with D-Pad instead - but it's definitely better with a gamepad although requires practice (at least for me as an adept of mouse and keyboard).
Yeah I know the game will get stale eventually as it happens with all racing games but it's worth a try. Just another proof that consoles should stick to racing (and slasher) genres which they do best.

Going to try Split\Second next which is from the same devs.

I've never even bothered trying this out, you just gave me a reason to do it. If it has a proper gamepad support it's cool, I hate how lots of newer games try to force you into buying XBOX pad. If it doesn't support my el-cheapo dual shock gamepad it can go fuck itself.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm playing it with this one which is supposed to be a PS3-like pad and it's ok, although because of the dead stick I have yet to get used to D-Pad

thrustmaster_dual_trigger_3_in_1_rumble_force_pc_ps2_ps3.jpg

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Who are you and what did you do to skyway.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
I'm playing it with this one which is supposed to be a PS3-like pad and it's ok, although because of the dead stick I have yet to get used to D-Pad
Thrustmaster? I approve :thumbsup:

racofer

Thread Incliner
MetalCraze said:

I don't get this "device" of yours. It's not anatomically shaped to hold with your hand, the buttons are all spread out instead of at the tip of your fingers. It also doesn't have a plain surface as to slide on a desk and... where's the trackball/optic sensor? :?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Occasionally Fatal said:
How can you market any device as a Thrustmaster® with a straight face?
Same way you can market "joysticks" and "joypads" with a straight face.
And back then Thrustmaster's joysticks Flight Sticks were THE controller for your flight simulator needs.

MetalCraze said:
But the mode button changes colours when you press it!
And it also vibrates
Does your Thrustmaster also vibrate DraQ?

:smug:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Going to try Split\Second next which is from the same devs.

Don't do it. It's fun the first few races, when you're new to the game and don't know any of the tricks, but it gets boring really quickly, the racing itself is the simplest thing there is, not even fun in an arcade way. The only reedeming factor is the triggered events, and once you know them it's not worth it anymore.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Occasionally Fatal said:
How can you market any device as a Thrustmaster® with a straight face?
Same way you can market "joysticks" and "joypads" with a straight face.
And back then Thrustmaster's joysticks Flight Sticks were THE controller for your flight simulator needs.

MetalCraze said:
But the mode button changes colours when you press it!
And it also vibrates
Does your Thrustmaster also vibrate DraQ?

If I will it to.

racofer said:
MetalCraze said:

I don't get this "device" of yours. It's not anatomically shaped to hold with your hand, the buttons are all spread out instead of at the tip of your fingers. It also doesn't have a plain surface as to slide on a desk and... where's the trackball/optic sensor? :?
This.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've tried Split\Second and deleted it by the end of the day. How do I hate those 1 crash-kills and how retarded developers thought it was a good idea to take the camera away from you to show how some prick blows up 50m away. So I just downloaded a 100% completion savegame, checked out all tracks and cool cars and uninstalled it.

Tl;dr: Meh

On the other hand I've almost completed Pure. 48 out of 50 tracks :smug:
All in all it's a pretty enjoyable game, but somewhat repetitive. Too bad it doesn't have a split screen like Split\Second though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom