Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, I'm playing Minecraft...

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Some will say I'm late to the party, some will say there's better builders, some will say it's "for kids", some will say I'm a big fag for playing it...I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've become hopelessly addicted to Minecraft.

I've played plenty of city builders and other simulation games. I love DragonQuest Builders, for instance, but recently I started playing Minecraft.

I've been playing it for a few hours a day almost everyday for about three weeks. I play it with my girlfriend who got me into it and has shown me the ropes and she knows a lot about it but doesn't know everything... Recently I discovered a few tips and tricks that she didn't know and I impressed her...

So what are some tips, tricks and other cool shit I should know about and do?

Thanks

-Fag

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Depending on how devoted you are at some point the vanilla game will become boring leading you to the wonderful world of modding. That was a rabbit hole I fell into for awhile before getting tired of the game altogether.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just do your thing in Minecraft, then once you get bored of it after clocking in 500 hours, it will be time to start on Feed The Beast modpacks. That's when you'll really need the guides and wikis ;)

LizaMonatik44

Barely Literate
Any means and traps will do to keep your building intact, and slowing down the enemy are just what you need. To achieve this effect is easy: just dig a trench two blocks deep, then put ice as the first layer and shower sand as the top layer. Such a simple combination will slow down the intruder in the best way possible. And if you add to this the same ceiling, the enemy will never get out of there. This is one of the many tricks I've learned in a couple of years of playing. The Minecraft skyblock servers monitoring helped me well. When I want to play with some kind of mods and just without the lag, I start looking for the right server on which I will be comfortable to play. I think this is fundamentally important.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I realized that my time with Minecraft was over when I saw 10 year old kids building Von Neumann probes with nether blocks. Someone's gonna build a goddamn particle collider on one of those servers. Then we're all fucked.

LizaMonatik44

Barely Literate
Any means and traps will do to keep your building intact, and slowing down the enemy are just what you need. To achieve this effect is easy: just dig a trench two blocks deep, then put ice as the first layer and shower sand as the top layer. Such a simple combination will slow down the intruder in the best way possible. And if you add to this the same ceiling, the enemy will never get out of there. This is one of the many tricks I've learned in a couple of years of playing. The Minecraft skyblock servers monitoring helped me well. When I want to play with some kind of mods and just without the lag, I start looking for the right server on which I will be comfortable to play. I think this is fundamentally important.

Gamezor

Learned
I started playing this and I liked it but inventory management sucked! It was super clunky to drop stuff to pick up other stuff. Is there some kind of mod or workaround or controls I missed?

Spukrian

Savant
I have a confession to make: I play Minecraft. I like building farms and stuff, but I don't like the combat.

Every few months I get the urge to play Minecraft, so I play it intensely for a few weeks, after which I remember realize yet again why I stopped playing: I never feel like I'm accomplishing things. There's too much grind for me, and the combat just makes me annoyed. I had an Iron Farm going, but some update broke it... so I started over... and I just feel like this is a game that will forever waste my time...

I would switch the difficulty to peaceful, except then I can't get the resources I need.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I have a confession to make: I play Minecraft. I like building farms and stuff, but I don't like the combat.

Every few months I get the urge to play Minecraft, so I play it intensely for a few weeks, after which I remember realize yet again why I stopped playing: I never feel like I'm accomplishing things. There's too much grind for me, and the combat just makes me annoyed. I had an Iron Farm going, but some update broke it... so I started over... and I just feel like this is a game that will forever waste my time...

I would switch the difficulty to peaceful, except then I can't get the resources I need.
You bumped the thread for this?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Don’t play much anymore, but I’ve been playing this since 2011.

GarlandExCon

Arcane

I'm similar with I prefer the building and farming aspect to the combat. Like, I have no desire to beat the game. That said I do enjoy cave exploring which inevitably means combat

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

I'm similar with I prefer the building and farming aspect to the combat. Like, I have no desire to beat the game. That said I do enjoy cave exploring which inevitably means combat
I put in probably 2000 hours or more into pvp multiplayer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom