Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus So, I'm playing Devil Summoner - The Shin Megami Tensei Thread

Psquit

Arcane
MFW i have a shitload of shin megami tensei games in my pc and 3ds

42-snoop-bounce.gif

zwanzig_zwoelf

Next time I want to replay SMT, I'll replay other versions (PS1 version for law path and SCD for chaos path), since GBA is one of my least favourite consoles.
Also, SCD version has some notable changes that seriously affect the balance.
You can get raped easily in the very beginning even by 2 pixies.
Also, if you hit a single target with a gun that hits 5 targets, then all 5 shots will be fired at the single target (IIRC it wasn't present in any other version).
That turns Douman and Thor bossfight into a cakewalk, and theoretically makes Charm a very strong source of butthurt...
...but only theoretically, since Charm is broken in SCD version, at least it worked in zero cases out of ten or so.
Suck it down, hardcore players.
:troll:

Avellion

Erudite
Thanks for telling about MT2, because SMT2 feels too underwhelming for me in difficulty, and I'd rather replay another version of SMT1 rather than try the sequel again.
Trust me, it is actually possible to beat SMT2 without ever summoning demons. I liked SMT2 because it was a fun dungeon crawler and how ballsy the game was in some parts, but fuck the lack of difficulty.

I really should give MT2 a shot, seems fun.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Trust me, it is actually possible to beat SMT2 without ever summoning demons. I liked SMT2 because it was a fun dungeon crawler and how ballsy the game was in some parts, but fuck the lack of difficulty.

I really should give MT2 a shot, seems fun.
I am playing without summoning demons, and the game is still underwhelming as fuck.

SMT2 feels too underwhelming for me in difficulty, and I'd rather replay another version of SMT1 rather than try the sequel again.

It's definately worth finishing just for story. If you need to improve difficulty, do neutral route. It has all of boss fights that law path lacks and AFAIK there's no ubercompanion during end events unlike law/chaos paths. And beware of game-breaking features:

- Divine Retribution skill that takes half of enemy's HP (edit: my mistake, 1/4 of HP, still overpowered though)
- fusing humans with demons in which Aleph's level no longer matters (yes, you can fuse e.g. Metatron early in the game)

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

It's definately worth finishing just for story. If you need to improve difficulty, do neutral route. It has all of boss fights that law path lacks and AFAIK there's no ubercompanion during end events unlike law/chaos paths. And beware of game-breaking features:

- Divine Retribution skill that takes half of enemy's HP
- fusing humans with demons in which Aleph's level no longer matters (yes, you can fuse e.g. Metatron early in the game)
Thanks for you advice, but I decided to either replay SMT or finish Majin Tensei for now. Feel free to read my impressions of SCD version of SMT, it's a pretty nice version, thanks to remixed music and other things.

Psquit

Arcane

- Divine Retribution skill that takes half of enemy's HP

Do you guys play the Snes version?

OP, have you finished DeSu1 on Saturn?

My attempt to get involved into Pokemons Demikids was a failure so now I'm playing original Devil Summoner in japanese and just wonder if there are any crucial choices like these in main SMT games or maybe has it only one ending?

It's just... too cute. And none of demon tamers are involved into fights, battles are only between demons. Just look at it:

ss-001.jpg

I decided to force myself to finished it only after I beat any other SMT games available... even if they're in moonrunes. And Saturn DeSu feels SO GOOD right from the start, DAT SMT vibe which Demishits obviously lacks.

It's fucking annoying to play original DeSu in japanese, script is for plot, battle commands and in english but there's nothing to do about demon conversation and item descriptions and the former is more complex than in other Megatens due to loyality system or smt.

I give up and wait for some good guy who translate it fully, now let's check if PSX Soul Hackers is playable without english patch.

Damn, was playing the whole series since 2013 and got addicted to it, it's so sad the fun is over for now :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom