Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I'm playing Braid...

deuxhero

Arcane
Got it via HIB. I must say, I'm not that impressed so far (I've cleared the "3rd" level, though am missing pieces). FAR too much of the time travel is used for trial and error "hope the enemy is in the right spot THIS time", and the game seems to fail to make it clear what is and is not effected by time travel (I really hope I'm missing something. I thought it was glowingness, but one of the glowing doors didn't return my key when I went backwards). Also too... "artsy" story wise.

Does it get better? Should I move onto something else?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I GET YOU ON THE ARTSY STORY A LITTLE BUT REGARDING GAME MECHANICS YOU HAVE TO ABANDON THE PCTARD STUFF AND FIGUIRE OUT SOME PLATFORMER PUZZLES

IT ALL MAKES SENSE BRO

FOR EXAMPLE ONE COLOR DOOR WILL UNLOCK FOR SHADOW KEYS AND ANOTHER COLOR THINGIE WILL STAY THE SAME EVEN IF YOU REWIND

BRO YOU HAVE TO TRY THINK HARDER IT ISNT BRIAN SURGERONY IF YOU CANT FIGURE OUT THE PUZZLES NOW GIVE UP THEY GET HARDER

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OH YEAH I REPLAYED IT A FEW WEEKS AGO SO IT IS A LITTLE FRESH IN MY MIND

Multi-headed Cow

The story is artsy because the character you play is a tasteful rapist.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yes, later puzzles will make active use of the time manipulation, which means that it becomes more than a mere device to correct your mistakes.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
It was OK but, yeah, there was some annoying trial and error and one puzzle I didn't get because I didn't understand platformer physics:

You have to use your abilities to knock an enemy up somehow then go back in time in order to 'double jump' off it's head. Since I don't like Mario that much I didn't know you could do higher jumps off something's head. I'm pretty sure that never came up before in the game either.

The story only gets more obtuse as you go along though, the designer apparently never learned that obscurity doesn't imply depth.

I say stick with it, it definitely has it's moments despite some pretentious dumbfuckery.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Lord Rocket said:
Since I don't like Mario that much I didn't know you could do higher jumps off something's head. I'm pretty sure that never came up before in the game either.
Um... it did... in the very first room where you can collect puzzle pieces. Look at this video at 0:42 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZdvzcVdzV8

Perhaps someone else played that first level for you?

One thing I'll say is that the reward for getting the secret stars is totally not worth the effort it takes to get them.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Its alright. The puzzles are not hard. I had in one of the earlier levels a backout and just couldnt figure out how to do it, it bugs me today...

Story makes no fucking sense. I knew one of the quotes in the last level. "And now we are all motherfuckers" or something along the lines. It was strange to see that language used.

SPOILER

The girl is the atomic bomb. Though even in hindsight the "storytelling" makes no fucking sense. Except for the last level.

Silellak

Cipher
I really enjoyed Braid, but it's one of the only times I've seen the story of a platformer actually bring the game down a peg. Usually the story in a platformer is irrelevant - as it should be - but Braid's is just too pretentious for its own good.

The final level is absolutely brilliant by itself, though.

The game should've stuck with the basic story and the "twist" at the end of it, rather than trying to force in some deeper meaning about the atomic bomb or what the fuck ever.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Dire Roach said:
Lord Rocket said:
Since I don't like Mario that much I didn't know you could do higher jumps off something's head. I'm pretty sure that never came up before in the game either.
Um... it did... in the very first room where you can collect puzzle pieces. Look at this video at 0:42 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZdvzcVdzV8

Perhaps someone else played that first level for you?

One thing I'll say is that the reward for getting the secret stars is totally not worth the effort it takes to get them.

Well I could make the argument that as time passes every man changes as he learns and grows wiser, so, yes, in a way a different person played the earlier levels to the later ones, but in real terms MOTHER FUCKERGHAHCVCB WERQYPF GFL MFNAMNPIQ?NLJLVBS:FDNMGV

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I still wonder if the whole silly stuff like the atomic bomb references isn't a way for Jonathan Blow to make fun of people, like Andy Warhol did. That said from the little I heard of Blow, he doesn't strike me as clever as Warhol …

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO DUEXHERO PLEASE TELL ME YOU FIGURED OUT HOW TO PLAY THE GAME

IT WILL SAVCE MY FAITH IN THE GENERAL INTELLIGENCE OF THIS PLACE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom