Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I'm gonna play BG2....

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Big World Project for the win. Automatic mod download and installation. The ability to customize the installation as you see fit. Hundreds of mods to chose from. The only way to play BG these days.

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=43052

Unless you just want to go with the SCS2 and the G3 Fixpack/Tweaks mods. That would be closer to the original game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Emotional Vampire said:
Grunker said:
If you're going for BG1-BG2-ToB, BGT and One Pixel Productions are a must

BGT = Baldur's Gate Trilogy. If you mean Tutu, say Tutu. If you mean Trilogy, shut the fuck up, it's shit.

Allright, challenge accepted, fag.

Ascension64 is still giving support to BGT. It is being updated, and mods are made compatible with it. While the latter is true for Tutu, there is no continued support for the conversion itself, which makes BGT better.

So why the fuck use Tutu?

Krash

Arcane
Ascension. It's a must have, designed by some of the ToB gang, almost official content.

BG2fixpack and that other mod that fixes typoes and stuff (almost same name).

Maybe a difficulty mod if you find the game too easy.

The rest is optional

Mandatory:
BG2 fixpack <- obvious reasons
Ascension <- excellent mod for ToB
Unfinished Business <- Good quests that were left out reintegrated into the game
BG2 tweaks <- Too many good options to mention

Highly recommended:
Banter Pack
IEP Banters <- I am constantly surprised by how well both of these banter addons work themselves seamlessly into the game. Really the only way I can tell they were added in is that they aren't voiced.
D0questpack <- Good set of extra quests

Other:
Sword coast strategems <- Very well done difficulty mod with good set of customization options. Enemy mages in SoA with HLA abilities? Oh fuck yes. Good thing I have a mod that unnerfs the summons, some battles get to be huge. Don't remember what one it was unfortunately.

There are loads others, but these work so well that they should/could be part of the original game. I stay away from mods that add new NPCs, every one of them I have tried has been badly inserted, felt out of place within the game, or been a poor fanfiction story.

As far as what to use, I always liked Wild mage. Either as a pure class, or dual it over immediately and cast high level spells through the wild mage cheats (a level 1 wild mage can cast a level 9 spell with it as long as its scribed in his spellbook). Kensai duals also work well. Archers are good. I suspect an inquisitor would be great for any increased difficulty mod. Or go all out triple multiclass rapefest. There are tons of viable options. If you are worried about the things like being locked out of the strongholds, thats what the BG2tweaks mod can fix for you.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Does playing BG1 in the BG2 engine affect the balance? Since it seems like that mod changes all the mechanics and NPC balance and what-not.

Grunker said:
Ascension64 is still giving support to BGT. It is being updated, and mods are made compatible with it.

All seven of them? Like, WHOA!

While the latter is true for Tutu, there is no continued support for the conversion itself

Maybe because it's fucking finished. It works, it's stable, what else do you fucking want?

which makes BGT better.

Yes, BGT is better because it still has room for improvement. r00fles!

So why the fuck use Tutu?

It's WeiDU.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Man, you must've been outta the loop for some time EV.

BGT is WeiDU (I'd never use anything else). And the only thing it's updated for, is for big-ass mods, where Tutu and BGT still experience failure from time to time. The mod itself works as perfectly as Tutu (with simpler install-methods and no danger of green water).

So just call me a fag and let's close this discussion, 'cause you've obviously not been following the news on the area for a while... Although, BGT became WeiDU a good three years ago, so that might not explain it either.

Stabwound

Arcane
ecliptic said:
Does playing BG1 in the BG2 engine affect the balance? Since it seems like that mod changes all the mechanics and NPC balance and what-not.
Yes, it definitely does. For one thing, BG1 wasn't designed to work with NPC kits, so some of them end up being very overpowered in BG1 while some suck horribly, and yeah, some spells and stuff just work differently in BG2.

I wouldn't say it's a huge deal, but yeah.

foobie-bletch

Novice
Emotional Vampire said:
While the latter is true for Tutu, there is no continued support for the conversion itself

Maybe because it's fucking finished. It works, it's stable, what else do you fucking want?
All software has bugs. Even if it doesn't have bugs, it will one day have to be maintained.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm with EmoVamp on TuTu.

Besides that, the only mod I've ever used only changed the epic level abilities for monks to something similar to those of Balthasar in ToB, because the ordinary fighter feats are kinda lame.

TNO

Augur
Bump

I'm playing Sorcerer atm, it's p cool. It seems to kill everything. Jaheira can also summon fire elementals which wtfpwn pretty much everything in the first few chapters. Pretty hard too on Core rules for newbies, especially if you don't abuse save/reload to pre-spell where the baddies spawn. Opposite of what I was expecting, it is my fighters who are clearing out the low level mobs instead of my mages spamming AoE rape.

Busting Imoan out of Spellhold atm.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You'll use your mages more in the latter parts of the game, especially in ToB if you play that. Especially especially if you use Ascension (which is ridiculously hard and I wouldn't recommend it to a first time player).

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said all mods are shit by default so I guess it must be true.

BGT is fine.

SCS2 is mandatory imo. Every enemy mage is now what he should be: a mortal threat.
In the vanilla game he's just someone you bash a couple of times and then loot the remains.
Cowled wizard or a lich dumping a Dark Planetar onto you? Get used to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom