Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So how's Torque?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Well, my understanding is that you're nearly finished with the game at this point. I was just wondering how you liked working with Torque to create an RPG.

As is no doubt the case for many Codexers, I have fond dreams of making an indie RPG someday, and I've looked into a few alternatives. FIFE of course seems promising, but is a very, very long way from being a viable engine. In any case, I lack the artistic brilliance necessary to make a nice looking 2-D game, so I'm looking mostly at 3-D engines. Torque seems to be the king of the hill when it comes to indie engines, but I have picked up the impression somewhere along the line that you have come to regret using it. Is that true?

Of the other 3-D options I've looked at, probably the most appealing is an OGRE-derivative with a price range somewhere near that of Torque, called NeoAxis. It's not finished but it seems really interesting, and a lot of its features seem particularly well-suited to making an RPG. Has anyone here tried it, or heard anything much about it?

Zomg

Arbiter
Why do I always mentally rhyme Torque with ¿Por qué?

Hory

Erudite
Perhaps because you don't know how to read "por qué" properly.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I don't know about Vault Dweller, but I'm finding Torque fantastic. A more pertinent question is how much programming experience do you have? No matter which engine you use, an RPG is a significant undertaking, it's never going to be easy.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
7/10. There are issues, not every feature works/supported as advertised, and you can tell that it's an old engine, but overall it's decent and, after some workarounds, gets the job done.

I don't regret using it, what I regret is that a better engine wasn't available.

golgotha

Liturgist
What were some of your biggest issues with Torque aside from the DTS/shadowing problem? I ask because I've yet to work with heavy scripting within the engine.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
golgotha said:
What were some of your biggest issues with Torque aside from the DTS/shadowing problem? I ask because I've yet to work with heavy scripting within the engine.
Well, I love the scripting part :) There is nothing wrong with scripting engine, it works fine and is quite functional. Exposing class members to console is cool =)
What is really... erm, unconfortable for single-player game, is the client-server architecture of this engine. Torque is designed for multi-player games, and you should always look after network updates, keep in mind what's happening in client side code, what's on server, always check if you're looking at a server object or ghost, etc. This creates a lot of pitfalls and makes the bug-fixing process longer and somewhat more complex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom