Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy So, how would a Space Grand Strategy game play?

So, I was thinking about how the bros want to play a Paradox-made Grand Strategy game in space...

The first thing to think is scope. I think the most basic would be game on the solar system, where many countries start on the road to space exploration and colonization of the solar system, while others try to catch up.

So in this case, here's some questions I would like to bounce on fellow Codexers:

Starting Date (s)? Modern Day (NOW), somewhat futuristic (2050 is a much-liked date because it sounds futuristic) or more futuristic (2100? 2200)? I ask this because it is a question of contemporary visibility vs possibility of allowing time to give the game developers a chance to change each nation into something more... iconic, or even alter the world balance in interest of equilibrium.

Playable nations? Just the big powers with enough muscle and jewgold (oops, no jews in paradox sorry), inclusion of smaller powers that would eventually enter space exploration or allow the player to play even with some 4th world shithole in central africa?

Resources? What there is to take in space? Off my mind, I'm thinking He³ (Nuclear Fusion Fuel) from the Moon and Gas Planets, Rare Earths from asteroids, Tholin for fertilizant in space and Hydrocarbons in Titan. I''m assuming realistic resources, no plebotinum akin to TN minerals from Aurora.

Game map? I'm thinking as far as Pluto's or Neptune's orbit, I thought about Kuiper Belt but I don't think there's truly any need to olonize/explore there, all the necessary resources are already in the Asteroid Belt and on the Outer/Inner Planets. Perhaps Black Colonies, but can something or someone even survive there? Is there even anythng worth there?

Combat system? Thing is, there are essentially three main areas of combat here: Earth (Land/Naval/Air), space and other planets.

My idea is that Earth is essentially HOI-style (who knows how it will work in East vs West) combat with some new additions from tech (Drones, Hipersonic planes, Power Armor, combat robots, Rods from God, etc...) and orbital support options. Oh yeah, and MAD in the early game so you can't bullrush the world in the early game. I think it might be a good idea to simplify Earth combat, because you will probably expend more time here building stuff than fighting, at least until you are advanced and strong enough to Take Over the World (and not get nuked, that is).

Space I'm thinking of a pretty realistic system. Craft range is determined by Delta V required and Delta V possessed by craft, so, say, a flight to Mercury should spend more Delta V than anywhere else outside the system and only be done by craft full of fuel. I'm unsure if fleet combat should be tactical or auto-solved, auto-solved is classical paradox but space combat seems too cool to be left to automatic resolution. I'm thinking pretty realistic space combat, so fleets in transit get near each other, fire their weapons and ships capable of aceleration eventually leave on the path they're acelerating towards, assuming they survive.

On other planets I'm thinking combats would be quick, automated espartier-attack affairs - Some guys land in drop pods near a enemy base, destroy defenses, take over base/colony. Perhaps taking more time to win if base is heavily defended or hidden underground. There is, of course, the "Nuke it from orbit option", but there should be some penality for that.

Asteroid movement I like, but I'm unsure of the technological need. I like the idea of asteroid bases, factories and fortresses around Earth. How much craft power and size one would need to move a asteroid? Can any mathmagicians point me towards the solution?

I don't think RKVs would figure in-game, or if they figure I think they would be regarded as something akin to SMAC's Planet Busters.

Politics I'm thinking something akin to SMAC's Social Engineering with special events and mechanics for each choice - for example, elections in a democracy.

I'm unsure about research, but it would be probably something akin to HOI's research. I think being able to research many things makes a lot more sense than one nation devoting itself for years towards simply one research subject.

tweaked eu3 on inner sphere map.
no need to overcomplicate stuff with multiple resources needed for production, after all a whole solar system should be able to provide more than enough for everything. but the more you have the less military units will cost, so quality/quantity should work properly.
unit customization: it could be done even using the same eu3 engine, once you start from a 10 attack power weapon it's easy to provide a +1 missile or +1 armor. if this can't be done in any way, letting me use at least 3-4 land unit types instead of just 1 would be nice.
if we're really going to use the eu3 engine, combat would work like this: normally you fight with starships which are the only way to move invading force around, once you reach a system/planet the starships provide blockades; while only transported units can actually invade, it's easy to add two buttons: 1) planetary bombardment (few losses, kill population and taxes/production/whatever fast) 2) invasion (more losses but among the land troops, less collateral damage).
social engineering more akin to alpha centauri or with sliders which make *drastic* changes, some due fix here and there, a more fluid alliance system (or at least an ai which is willing to ally with whoever to fight a bigger threat and, on the other side, an ai which can recognize an unbeatable opponent. just like alpha centauri) and i'd be happy with it.
5-6 councilmen with no classes and totally random multiple or more powerful boni.
research: standard eu3 feels fine to me.

all this could be done with about the same effort paradox already churns rome and japan based spin-offs, so there could be space for randomized factions and/or with very different traits, a deeper approach to diplomacy with land trading, bribes, threats and stuff, more building, wonders which give very powerful perks but while they're built prices of resources rise...
it's sci-fi, not even the sky is the limit.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Warfare would be reduced to two things: spaceship battles and planetary invasions. For spaceships I could see them going the CK way of having wings and center of you fleet with different commanders - admirals - using different tactics and battle effects depending on how many ships of each type you got (frigates, destroyers, cruisers, corvettes, battleships, carriers and dreadnoughts I guess). If they wanted to up the scale they could rework EU3 battle system by changing regiments into fleets and making them able to position themselves not only in lane - maybe even some eye candy for battles like lasers and beams shooting from fleet to fleet. Planetary invasions would be like siege now with slow advance over time, only you would have to ferry troops to each planet like in island hopping. Space travel should be worm hole based since it helps AI and makes players have some actual borders to defend or draw.

I suppose that one planet works perfectly instead of a province with maybe moons added as smaller provinces. You group several planets around a start and have a star system with few added special "zones" like asteroid fields or gas clouds (EvW is supposed to introduce economic use of seas so its not far fetched for things that arent provinces to have some use). Planetary improvements = province improvements.

Tech could stay more or less the same with changed names and different advances. Diplomacy of course would need updating. More focus on colonization too. Trade hub based like its supposed to be in EU4 with different rare resources on planets (unobtanium, superheavium, betteruranium etc).

Actually it wouldnt be hard to make even now. More work if you want 3D map of the galaxy. Grand campaign could be set up in Milky Way.

Renegen

Arcane
Three words, Star Wars: Rebellion. The AI sucks so it's only really fun the first 3 or so times, but it's grand strategy. That right there is a good 50 hours of gameplay.

Riel

Arcane
Imo to qualify as a grand strategy game the first requirement is for the game to be focused on strategy and not a tactics, so no tactical space battles but instead heavy emphasis on: economy, strategic resources, trade, diplomacy and yes fleets (logistics, composition and general strategy, just no tatical plane to keep the game moving at an acceptable pace when great wars are raging).

Not having tactical battle ala MoO2 doesn't mean no choice there, ability to select fleet formations and tactics before the battle would be very much apreciated as long as afterwards the battle is resolved automatically.

Btw: I agree Star Wars rebellion is a true gem, flawed but still a gem, I'm still trying hard to understand how on earth Lucas Arts could make such a great and innovative game, no matter how forgotten it is by mainstream publishers, it is not perfect but I still got to see a better intelligence & espionage system in any game in gaming's history.

Riel

Arcane
I can only talk about IG II, but honestly it was lackluster, all it boiled down to in the end was assembling the best battle fleet chase down the best battle fleet of the enemy an destroy it, once done the enemy could never hope to defeat you, and oh yes, spliting your fleet to defeat pirates and garrison systems is plain dumb, you will only suffer more loses that way, better to stick to "one fleet to rule them all" strategy (I use the word strategy loosly here :P )

The interactive story with videos and choices makes for an interesting 1st campaign, once played the game has nothing to offer anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom