Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Dragon Age...

Mattresses

Scholar
I'm just starting in the deep roads, and remembered the prerelease interviews suggesting there would be points in the game where certain spells would effect the enviroment (lightning used in a damp cave/near a pool was the cited example, I think). Does this actually fucking occur anywhere? It's possible I missed the opportunity, but I feel that's giving Bio too much credit. I remember being somewhat disappointed when I couldn't set the bandit-filled dry field alight outside Lothering. Does a (single, no doubt) encounter occur in which you can do this? or was it the usual media hype/lie?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
As far as I know, this is about as real as dialogue interrupts were in ME1, i.e. it's hype.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mattresses said:
I'm just starting in the deep roads, and remembered the prerelease interviews suggesting there would be points in the game where certain spells would effect the enviroment (lightning used in a damp cave/near a pool was the cited example, I think). Does this actually fucking occur anywhere? It's possible I missed the opportunity, but I feel that's giving Bio too much credit. I remember being somewhat disappointed when I couldn't set the bandit-filled dry field alight outside Lothering. Does a (single, no doubt) encounter occur in which you can do this? or was it the usual media hype/lie?

You're thinking of the spell combos? Those are when you combine two spells that have additional effects when combined.

There isn't any environmental effect on spells - except for a few locations where there's grease you can light on fire (but that's basically just the spell "Grease" added to the location).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" (lightning used in a damp cave/near a pool was the cited example, I think). "

Yeah, when did they say this? 3 years ago? Come on people, things chnage over the course of development. This is just a fact. LMFAO

racofer

Thread Incliner
238MarkVanderloo9.jpg

Black

Arcane
We should make "Which Bioware developer lied the most" thread.
Granted it won't be as long and funny as bethesda's but still...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Perhaps you should read that non BIO preview before you spout your bullshit with fagooty links.

Some quotes:

"They are interactive environments and stackable spell combos, the latter of which was the one BioWare was pushing and both of which are laden with more buzzwords than a marketing executive drowning in TPS reports."

"Interactive environments are pretty much just what they sound like and are something we’ve had a chance to fiddle with before in our last Dragon Age: Origins preview, but it’s basically the RPG equivalent of the explosive barrel. There are now specific items in the game world that players can take advantage of, like spilled oil that can be ignited to damage enemies or water-logged areas that can be frozen. "

FFS

You are almost as dumb as I was in that other thread.

LMFAO

R00fles!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mattresses said:
Volourn said:

Yeah, when did they say this? 3 years ago? Come on people, things chnage over the course of development. This is just a fact. LMFAO

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/05/13/dragon-age-origins-hands-on-preview/2

r00fles!

Uhm, what's your point? First of, it isn't Bioware, secondly, his using a broad example:

Taking advantage of these environments is never crucial to advancing in the game and, if we’re honest, they aren’t exactly easy to spot either. We’ve gotten so used to the static nature of the environments in RPGs that when fighting enemies at a river crossing our first thought isn’t usually to back them into the stream and hit them with a lightning blast to electrify the water.

Besides that, you're right that he's hyping the interactive environment thing. They basically consist of a few ballistas, flamable grease and freezeable water.

aries202

Erudite
Grunker said:
Mattresses said:
Volourn said:

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/05/13/dragon-age-origins-hands-on-preview/2

r00fles!

Uhm, what's your point? First of, it isn't Bioware, secondly, his using a broad example:

Taking advantage of these environments is never crucial to advancing in the game and, if we’re honest, they aren’t exactly easy to spot either. We’ve gotten so used to the static nature of the environments in RPGs that when fighting enemies at a river crossing our first thought isn’t usually to back them into the stream and hit them with a lightning blast to electrify the water.

Besides that, you're right that he's hyping the interactive environment thing. They basically consist of a few ballistas, flamable grease and freezeable water.

And that's even more than in any other rpg out there. In which (modern) rpg can you freeze water, set the floor on fire or pull of a ballista or two? None, as far I know - unless you count Might and Magic X (the new one) as an RPG...

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
relootz said:
Mattresses said:
I'm just starting in the deep roads

Good luck, you will need it.

Derp Roads, the point where the flaws of this game begin to sink the ship of enjoyment...

In short it gets fucking boring and tedious.

MikeJahn

Educated
The more I read about Dragon Age the more I don't feel like playing it. I remember when I gave Fallout 3 a try and forced myself to play the whole thing, nowadays I think about it and I am like :? and then I feel ashamed for wasting my time like that.

MikeJahn

Educated
hoochimama said:
You didn't like it yet played it to the end?
It was bad but I tend to want to complete what I begin and also I found ways to have some fun (loading basketballs into the thing launcher and firing it at nigger's heads for example).

Black

Arcane
Droog White Smile said:
Mass Effect's facegen is p. impressive.
It sure is.
Despite the fact that there are many options to customize I still wasn't able to make a femshep that didn't look retarded.

MikeJahn

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
"Waste of time", "finish what I begin"...you make playing the vydia sound like a job.

It wasn't that bad because there was some fun in screwing around. It was the same reason that I played Oblivion for a while - fucking around by shutting npc's in glass cases, drinking 5 gallons of skooma , pulling skeletons over sleeping people and shoving poison apples in everyone's pockets was amusing. Similarly in Fallout 3 placing mines next to people's beds while they slept and slaughtering towns was good fun. I also finished the main quest just for the sake of finding out where it goes (Which was pretty lulzy) . It was disappointing overall though because both Oblivion and Fallout 3 were hyped to me to be the best thing since sliced bread but I found out they were both rather mediocre games that didn't bore me to the point of uninstallation but didn't impress either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom