Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Dragon Age: Origins is rather fun so far

Heresy and Decline?

• Good spotting.

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • No problem here, move along people.

Votes: 34 18.2%
  • Your spirit waivers.

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • Time for re-education. One month with no internet and a copy of Arcanum only.

Votes: 54 28.9%
  • Heresy is afoot, send him to watchwitz!

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Call the Comissar, we got a HERETIC here!

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • *BLAM*

Votes: 20 10.7%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
DA:O is pretty good actually. The combat is fun enough on the Nightmare difficulty. I especially enjoyed making a 2 glass cannon mages + cun rogue + dex tank party and micromanaging the fuck out of them. Of course, you can just go with a 3 Arcane Warriors + whatever party and steam roll through everything on autoattack even on Nightmare, but where's fun in that?

The only real problem (aside from all the romance subplots, angst and overdone gore) is the really drawn out dungeons. Sometimes I think about replaying the game, and then I tell myself fuck the Mage Tower, fuck the Andraste Temple, fuck the Deep Roads.

Kefka1134

In all seriousness Origins was just so heavily grindy, for lack of a better term, every phase you just had to grind through a bajillion mobs and loot containers before learning you were too late to save anyone or that everyone was already doomed.

The only exceptions are the Landsmeet portion and the Prologue, and even then, most of the time you are just sawing through mob after mob after trap (and again, only to "fail" such as Alistair/Loghain dying or

Edit: Actually Mr. Tooth just touched on the point with the "drawn out dungeons"

I've noticed in pretty much every Bioware game actually like in SWTOR on Alderaan you pretty much have to down like....... 800 mobs over the course of the zone or something, just incredibly high numbers.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's because they are unable to script interesting encounters in sufficient numbers to make meaningful content. So you get pointless trash fights after trash fights after fights. This happens in literally every Bioware game ever but it's most glaringly obvious in DAO and NWN-OC. I haven't played ME3 or DAI so I don't know if they are even worse.

pippin

I was pleasantly surprised by the development of the Landsmeet, the parts with Anora and especially the debate between you and Loghain. I reloaded my save many times and found out that, against Bioware's fashion, dialogue options *do* matter, even if they are all more or less "correct" from your perspective. It just happens that the nobles tend to find some reasons more powerful than others. Also Anora was a little cunt but I liked how she refused to cooperate when I killed her father.
That and the Suicide Mission from ME2 might be the highlights of modern Bioware.

Kefka1134

Yeah Anora was pretty spunky.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom