Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

Padre

Liturgist
Sorry mate but since OP started playing HoN this topic is now about Heroes of Newerth. Which Wulfstand sucks at, but is funny teammate nevertheless :)

One thing I noticed is when I have 10+ wins I get on a massive losing streak till it evens out a bit.
Hit level 21 now on EU, and it matches me sometimes with level 30's and sometimes with level 10-15s. Very uneven.

Noticed this too, doesn't matter how good a player you are, once you win 5 matches in a row, mm system puts you so high up you end up against lvl 30 ppl, which sucks balls.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OP is a pussy. :D He'll be back for Season one i hope.

But, admit it, HoN is like LoL if it was made in 1999. :P

But, since you're here answer some questions...
Whats the deal with hero stats in HoN and items?
Lets say you have Item that gives you 3STR and 3AGI, and theres another item that gives you 15damage and 30% movement speed.
Whats the difference between those two? Whats the payoff on getting these hero stat items vs pure damage items for example?

Padre

Liturgist
LoL is just a F2P casual wannabe esport which it will never be. Don't kid yourself.

Heroes in HoN are separated into 3 categories. STR,INT,AGI.

Items giving pure stats like +3 STR always give around 60hp to all heroes (1str-19hp) but if you are a str hero you also get +3dmg from that item.

Agi gives dmg to agi heroes and provides more armour and attack speed.

Int gives dmg to int heroes and gives mana (1nt-11mana).

Stat items in this game are a must, almost no hero can live without some at the start of the game. For example if you risk going mid with Soulstealer with a bottle as frst item, enjoy having 450hp and 41 attack damage.

There are items that provide you with straight hp and mp too but at the start, +stat is the way to go

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
An interesting nuance to that is that the damage added by bonus stats (Agi, Str or Int matching your hero type) can be multiplied by auras and other bonuses of that type.

So if you're playing IntGuy the Int hero, and have either a +10 int item or +10 damage item, as well as being under an aura that grants +20% damage, the int item will actually give you 12 extra damage instead of 10 like the damage item.

You also forgot to mention than str and int increase regen of hp/mp, although int does this far more noticeably.

Padre

Liturgist
So if you're playing IntGuy the Int hero, and have either a +10 int item or +10 damage item, as well as being under an aura that grants +20% damage, the int item will actually give you 12 extra damage instead of 10 like the damage item.

That's why all auras have 'increases BASE damage' in description. Base damage it's your starting dmg plus stat item of your hero's choice.

Wulfstand

Prophet
OI! No hate talking in my thread! :rpgcodex:

I admit, I enjoy both games, even tho now when I log into LoL, it's just to talk with a few friends from there, barely played a game or two.
HoN is, I agree, waaaaaay harder, and it's funny, because I played dota occasionally and had no real problems there (I mention this since apparently HoN and Dota are supposed to be one and the same, but lo and behold, they're not).

Now most of the time in matchmaking (because of my low psr), I either end up with first-timers (in my last game I had a succubus in my team who jumped at the beginning at how he couldn't open the shop to buy items, another 15-minute concede game), or I get completely stomped, rarely winning a few games. On the other hand, when you do actually win a game, after a 50-minute game, I have to say, the sensation is very satisfying.
One thing that I hate about LoL and love about HoN (besides the graphics, I guess): hero design. The guys over at Riot simply have barely any imagination in designing heroes, mostly jumping to standard stereotypical 'archtypes', such as ninjas, pirates, knights, 'void-heroes' (I always laugh out loud when I hear retards from LoL's forum say that word) or even weeaboo gay animeshow main characters.
Not to mention that so many of the melee heroes have simple auto-attack like skills (because obviously porting heroes from dota is bad, so we'll just take pudge's hook and give it to Blitzcrank, take Warlock's ultimate and give it to Annie, etc.)

Again, if they won't introduce the ability to observe live matches, or at least replays, then the competitive scene will be again a joke phreak watching one of the tournament's players' stream, and commentating that on a shit quality stream.

Yes, of course I will play a bit more LoL when season 1 comes, mainly because I want to try out one of the game's additions: Banning picks.
Say I make a fresh toon, and during the banning pick, I choose to pick all the week's free heroes, what then? What the hell are all the beginners with no new heroes going to do? Then again Riot might add that game-mode for level 10+ players or something, don't know.

Also, from here on out, since this is my thread, I hereby ask every poster to post their LoL and HoN id here (well, to be honest I'm more interested in their HoN accounts, if any, since it seems there are only 2-3 codexers playing it atm).

Wulfstand

Prophet
Just won a 4v5 that ended up as a 3v5, feel like fucking Zeus right now.(even tho 50% of the win was due to a very nicely fed Swiftblade, the rest being due to the awesome combo Hammerstorm (me) and Glacius)
:love:

Padre

Liturgist
Yeah you did well, should have told that swiftblade that lifesteal and frostburn's slow don't stack with each other though :)

About LoL's void heroes. They are just a fucking rip off of
violator.jpg

Behold Violator from Spawn comic series. Cho gath looks like a tiny whiny bitch compared to him.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Hon username is Phanto.

Haven't played in a while. might be online tonight. I'm on a shitty laptop, though.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Lol: Elboo

HoN: dallaboo

Ranked play in LoL will be available for 20+ level players. When you hit 20 you can play, otherwise it works like before.

Had a nice game yesterday with Pantheon on TT against a fed Warwick with 200+ armor and Guardian angel and some lifesteal shit. Motherfucker was impossible to kill, but they sucked at pushing so after like 45 min I got myself a Frozen Heart and skyfalled in their base and wrecked the Nexus. I felt like a hero, and the comment after the game was -NOOB BACKDOOR. :)
Well fuck you for not pushing, they aced us twice and then went jungling or farming minions.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
match making is so fucked, once you win 5 or so games you enter lvl 30 asian clan zone and you are fucked for at least 2-3 games were you just get farmed till your team surrenders :x

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Season One is out. On US for now, EU is still updating.

Didnt get a chance to play a ranked game cause Im only level 13 on US, but I played one solo MM. Had a first time ever positive score with Nasus, I was following this guys Hyfe's guide and damn it works. Ended the game with about 200 in armor and MR, nasty Siphoning strike damage and when you pop the Fury of the Sands people just run for their lives. Score was 6/5/19. We like.

Cant get a good item build with Malph yet, Im experimenting alot, reading some guides but they suck or differ alot in my playstyle.

Oh, and played HoN yesterday, 1 win and 1 loss. The gold penalty is fucking bullshit, and snowballs the game to the team with a few early kills. Like it isnt enough to be outleveled by 3-4 levels, have lamer items and fuck it lets take all your money too. grrr

BirdsCanFly

Educated
The first few matchmaking games were horrible because the pros had the same ELO in the beginning as everybody else. Much owning to be had. ;..;

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Since I'm playing EU I'll just say that at least trailer was nice, familiar champs/skills/mechanics remade in CGI, fun to watch.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Markman said:
Oh, and played HoN yesterday, 1 win and 1 loss. The gold penalty is fucking bullshit, and snowballs the game to the team with a few early kills. Like it isnt enough to be outleveled by 3-4 levels, have lamer items and fuck it lets take all your money too. grrr

Yeah, the game isn't as forgiving as LoL if you're not paying attention. If you were playing matchmaking or low psr public games and had a low psr (~1300) then I feel your pain, mon. That's why it's much more fun to play with friends (or with higher psr players), because in those cases it's so much more fun and the game just 'feels' better. That's why I'm so butthurt and only play during the night, when Padre and his friend log in, because most of the times I can't stand playing with 'strangers'. I gave you a friend invite some time ago, but I don't think you accepted it (my nickname is allessander). Next time you log on and I'm online, pm me because I'll be definitely available.

Right, next I'm going to write a rant regarding the latest update that Riot made, ie Season 1 (it's mostly going to be related to the game's design).

First things first, I'm only going to be covering what I've noticed, as in I'm not going to discuss the nerfs, bugs that have been added, buffs, etc.

First off: yes, banning draft is a Godsend for matchmaking, especially seeing as how Riot has a tendency to overly buff some heroes and neglect others, giving us the infamous 'flavor of the month'.

Second, and this is what I want to rant on about the most: Riot's tendency to copy sh*t from WoW. Yeah, I said it, and I have proof to back this up.

Now before I go on, I won't say that I don't like the addition of this stuff, because I'm not that passionate as I used to be for the game.

First off, I'll go on with what was implemented from the beginning: the masteries and glyphs. They're a direct copy of WoW's mastery trees and glyphs, from the general ideea to the design. This is quite ingenious, mainly because it adds two potential gaming crowds in one single game. I know this for a fact, because a friend of mine wanted to join instantly after he found out that he could play basically his favorite games (dota and the arena-pvp-aspect from WoW) in just one basic game (sadly he has a pretty shitty pc atm., so he couldn't join).
Here are the pics that show off both games' above mentioned aspects:
http://a.imageshack.us/img257/5460/talenttree1.jpg (LoL)
http://a.imageshack.us/img715/4897/talenttree2.jpg (WoW)

Secondly, there's the new rating system, which, again, looks almost the same with WoW's arena rating system, another thing that I can't say I really like.
Pics:
http://a.imageshack.us/img294/2996/arena1t.jpg (WoW)
http://a.imageshack.us/img249/2848/arena2x.jpg (LoL)
Not much to say here, what you see is what you get.

Thirdly, and this I find to be very, very stupid, is the loging menu image, which looks the same in design to one of WoW's posters:
http://a.imageshack.us/img62/7387/logo1fy.jpg (LoL)
http://www.earthgames.de/games/world_of ... poster.jpg (WoW)
I can't even begin to say how retarded this looks, mainly on Katarina, since she barely has this glowing shit on her blades. I mean it was bad enough in WoW, why would they add it into LoL? Well I guess I know why.

Again, I won't say that I'm that enraged on these changes, since, as I've already said, I'm not that passionate about the game anymore, and I don't play it as much as I used to, but I really think that Riot should try and be a little more creative in their design, and try and attract new players with fresher designing (and gameplaying) choices, not just overly seen and played ones. Peace out!

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Eh, generic stats on a parchment do tend to look the same. I didn't know about the WoW shit, but the stuff on SC2's B.net looks similar as well.

Mastery trees/glyphs have existed in a fuck ton of games. As far as MMO's, EQ had the AA system 3 years before WoW came out, for example.

But generally, if you think about where a lot of the Riot guys came from, it starts to make sense. You have a top tier competitive player from B.net, and a guy who made custom maps with Blizz's tools at the helm of design. They also have other people working for them from WoW/Blizz. Also, Blizzard takes whatever the fuck they want from everyone else so it's not like much (if any) of their shit is original.

Anyway, common design themes exist everywhere. It's dumb. The main LoL site looks like a carbon copy of any number of F2P asian websites. It's pretty shitty, but it works.

If the updates and content start to suffer, I'd be worried. As it is, the game is the best of it's type on the market right now. Bloodline Champs might take that title if it develops something other than deathmatch gameplay, however.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Wolf, I accepted the invite, but I did it while the game was updating, so when it rebooted everything dissapeared. So, lesson of the day, dont touch anything while updating.
Send one again, please. Or Ill add you when Im online.
Had another invite from somemone called sx8dasdsomething, please send one again.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Markman said:
Wolf, I accepted the invite, but I did it while the game was updating, so when it rebooted everything dissapeared. So, lesson of the day, dont touch anything while updating.
Send one again, please. Or Ill add you when Im online.
Had another invite from somemone called sx8dasdsomething, please send one again.

I have. :thumbsup:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Had 3 ranked games last night, 2w and 1loss, champs banned in all 3 games were Heimer and Shaco.Dont know why, I dont see them as big troubles to play against, stunners/stealth guys are much bigger problem IMO.Those 2 are squishy as they can get, 1 sec of focus and they're out.

And how about that Pantheon nerf? Didn't even know he was OP. What was this good for? His Heartseeker doesnt scare anymore, and 45 mana from 25 for a spear throw kills his early game. Instead of bursting damage combo and getting the fuck out, Im supposed to auto-attack now. Problem is almost anybody can whoop your ass 1 on 1. Panth is squishier then fucking Heimer.
Fucking up my main champ is last thing he needed, Riot killed hald of his effectivness. grrr

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
I'll update it now, but will let it die if noone else is posting.

Played 3 games yesterday, 2w-1l, got to chance to ban for the first time. Guess who went out?:D
Shen is in every game now, dude is just a punching meatbag, whats so great about him anyway, when he's on one team, that team loses.

I'l level 22 now, playing against level 30's amost every game is damn funny, once laned against Olaf that had 915 hp at level 1. Good luck pushing him.

My last game was a total roflstomp, I told the guy to ban Anivia and he went with Shaco and Kat, and someone picked Anivia and whooped our butts so bad they were bleeding at the end of the game.
That burst is just insane and if fed early its a gg at 10 minute mark. That fucking bird is a most game changing champ in a game.

And my Panth is a half of a champ he once was. Still a bit useful, but not even close as good as pre-S1.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Any rune tips?

I put Armor penetration marks, +HP quints,+ mana glyphs, crit seals. It adds up as a nice bonus at the start if I get Doran shield or something similar as a first item.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
My melee page is armor pen marks, hp/level seals, cdr glyphs, and quints aren't quite set yet so it's a mishmash of as, cdr, and ad I think.

Caster page is magic pen marks, hp/level seals, mana regen/level glyphs, and mishmash quints (ap, cdr).

Usually melee pages are built for survivability; armor pen marks being the exception. Typically dodge seals, magic res glyphs,and hp quints. Coupled with defensive tree dodge/+10 move with a successful dodge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom