Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anybody know anything about the next GotY, Gmae of Thrones RPG?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Strong Witcherware vibes so far.
Well at least they picked the right AAA game to emulate if they're going that route.

Playing Witcher 2 atm.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The smart thing was Obsidian only provided some "advisory support" for this title. They probably knew right away this was a project of epic fail.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
The smart thing was Obsidian only provided some "advisory support" for this title. They probably knew right away this was a project of epic fail.
Obsidian Consulting Services have their fingers in a lot of pies. They must really be hurting for monies.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I don't think they were involved with this game. You must be thinking about Wheel of Time RPG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't think they were involved with this game. You must be thinking about Wheel of Time RPG.

oh fuck. You are right. For some reason I get this mixed up with Wheel of Time. heh As you can see, I'm not much of a fantasy book reader. :oops:

Edwin

Scholar
Hopefully they can outBioware Bioware, I'll let you all reflect on the implications of such an achievement.

game.of_.thrones.s01e05.gay_.gif

made

Arcane
Playing Witcher 2 atm.
Good. It might make a man out of you yet.

Some more impressions:

- grid inventory with icons (MASSIVE incline)
- unfortunately everything else is heavily consolized: controls suck, made for gamepad, keys can't be customized (unless in the ini but I didn't check)
- camera sucks; can't zoom out, char is stuck on the left edge of screen cept in battles
- health regens to full between fights, but death = game over
- combat is like Drakensang or DA: queue up to 3 abilities, watch your dudes execute them, but instead of outright pausing you only slow down time
- Castle Black looks pretty impressive, but there's fuck all to do save run around and pick up coins and stuff here and there
- LOTS of lengthy dialogue and cutscenes, most of it not particularly good

DemonKing

Arcane
Well, as a mad keen GRR fan it looks like a wait till the price falls on Steam purchase to me, as everyone seems to think the story is ok and the combat half-decent - it just seems the presentation and bugs aren't AAA.

Also - I really, really wish they hadn't put that masnscaping scene into the TV series...:eek:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I know I might take some shit for this for being a GRRM fanboy, but I'm actually starting to kind of enjoy this. I'm at the beginning of the red priest bidness:
Calming down the city isn't exactly hard to figure out, but its a neat idea and fun. It seems this game is attempting a AP style "your actions will have consequences" agenda which, sadly, is more than I can say for most RPGs in the past decade.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I know I might take some shit for this for being a GRRM fanboy, but I'm actually starting to kind of enjoy this. I'm at the beginning of the red priest bidness:
Calming down the city isn't exactly hard to figure out, but its a neat idea and fun. It seems this game is attempting a AP style "your actions will have consequences" agenda which, sadly, is more than I can say for most RPGs in the past decade.

I only trust prestigious mainstream reviews. I mean why play a game made by paupers? :obviously:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm actually really enjoying it. Will detail more later. I can see why peoples' initial reaction is shit and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone other than GRRM fans who are also storyfags, but I'm enjoying it. I began thinking combat choices were boring and arbitrary but I've had at least a couple battles where I've had to seriously plan my (and my companions') moves. God dying is refreshing. I know its fucking lame to say "This isn't shit so it's great!" but I do think this game has a lot of interesting stuff and changes things up enough to keep it more interesting than the Witcher 2's boring RINSE/REPEAT gimmick. Did Obsidian really do consulting? Because oddly enough I could see that. I can see them pulling from Bioware too, specifically KOTOR's "Do the Detective Mambo!" gimmick (but I admit I'm a sucker for such things). Oh hey look, I'm detailing. Sorry. Didn't mean to.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
It may just be me confusing my KOTOR experiences which made me think that anyway.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Two dudes.

It controls like DA, supposedly. Hell I'll give the "demo" a try... why not?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
You control a party?

At different points you control different people/animals who join your party. The game does a pretty good job at changing up the scenario per chapter. I'm not just talking about the two different storylines which, I think, is what Grunker means. Which isn't what I was talking about.

P.S. I like the inclusion of warg playability.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Hmm, I knew it would suck, but could it actually be good?

I doubt it.

Anyhow, sounds like the game has a bit of a return to krondor vibe, except with real time kombat.

Also, does the red priest do magick? If so, what kind of spells does his have?

Is rape in the game?

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Does the game contain spoilers from A Dance with Dragons because I am yet to read it. Or is it a completely separate story?

made

Arcane
The story takes place before the first book, when Jon Arryn was still Hand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom