Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

smugglers 4

muffildy

Educated
So anyone given this one a go? It sounds a lot like space rangers so it could be good.

zeitgeist

Magister
2qn1w9f.jpg

Well, here's the trailer. At least it looks better than the previous ones - I vaguely remember trying out either 2 or 3 a long time ago, but I probably couldn't quite get past the game's VBesque GUI since I have very little recollection of its features. I'll take a look at the demo I guess.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Trash said:
It sucks. Plays like some kind of browser based flash game with very little personality and an insane amount of grinding.
Yep, also there is a little amount of skills to make level progression interesting. Trading is not very balanced, you can travel the same route and make tons of money, while fighting random encounters on the way. Combat is mostly lame too. You can shoot lasers and rockets, thats all. I was at the early stages, but can't see it going anywhere. Certainly not Space Rangers 2.

zeitgeist

Magister
bfjm1c.jpg

So I tried the demo. It's limited to 300 turns, but the game seems much too simplistic for there to be that many more features and gameplay elements to discover in the full version. Wouldn't recommend. Space Rangers 2 has its share of issues, but it's a far superior option.

It's a relatively decent basic framework for a game of this type however - if they only implemented more of everything, it could be playable and it astounds me that they didn't, since the game has (mostly) static graphics, and most of what's happening in the game is described through those, as well as text and basic numeric representation of the game mechanics. There could be more ship types, more weapon types, combat that relies on more than a handful of buttons regardless of how you equip the ship, more mission types, more cargo types, more things to do on planets and in space stations, more customization options... I mean, it's pretty telling that there are only three portraits to choose from at the beginning, how cheap can one be that one can't even commission a few more non-animated images just for variety's sake, in a game that should ideally be all about variety in the first place?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom