Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMACXOR

Top Hat

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
kingcomrade's kool klub

The KKK, eh? "White Power" Gaming ftw.

Quigs

Magister
Sovy Kurosei said:
Even today SMAC is better than Civilization IV. I remember playing SMAC for a bit then I went and got Civilization III. Wow, I was in for a surprise. Never thought the "spiritual successor" of SMAC could be so underwealming. There were problems with SMAC (Balance for the most part) but I thought it was a pretty good design that you could refine and build off of. :|

SMAC is great if you are a numbers nut. Or a metagamer.

I like seeing a tank, and seeing a caveman and thinking "The tank should kill the caveman" and be right, instead of "well, your tank was set to kill land units, and my caveman was a secret squirrel spy with infilatration as a primary secondary atrribute, and hes secondary secondary attribute was gastrointesticanal surgeon, and we all know what THAT gives you, hahaha :cool: " ...

Straightforward always trumps needless complexity.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Tanks vs Cavemen?

If it wasn't Civ, I'd say "sounds like a stupid game".

Quigs

Magister
Ive always thought it would make for a great game.

Like, in the ficticious near future, earth gets invaded by aliens who look alot like humans. Except they dont have atime machine, and you do.

So, your the one guy they send back to their past.

Begining of the game, your in a room with every weapon concievable, along with a few vehicles. Just go back and kill em all. Most games go the opposite, you start with a knife/club/crowbar and work your way up the weaponry.

Here you start with the best, and end up using whats left.

Higher Game

Arcane
Bishop has been eliminated from the currently running SMAC game, courtesy of yours truly. :twisted: JoKa is going to be a tougher nut to crack though. There should be enough time for a fresh new Codex game by next saturday. Be ready. :cool:

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Higher Game said:
Bishop has been eliminated from the currently running SMAC game, courtesy of yours truly.
Ach, already when we started the game I told you to surf the Codex or watch a good movie while playing! You really need something that keeps you distracted from planning your next turn... 10 turns! You are worse then the AI, I always suspect some heavy cheating - but I can't quite put my finger on it! ;)

Jed

Cipher
Quigs said:
What next? "PS:T is great if you're a reading nut"?
I like seeing a tank, and seeing a caveman and thinking "The tank should kill the caveman" ...
Luckily there's no cavemen in AC.

JoKa

Cipher
we need more players...it's more fun when playing without the AI - and more rewarding/frustrating ;)
so guys...we know you want it - now come into Codex Centauri (via hamachi, password 'planet') and prove it! the current game only lasts another 5 turns or something. at least a foursome would be nice..

Higher Game

Arcane
I have assignments and tests to worry about for next week, so my only really good days in the near future will be Saturday and Sunday, this weekend. If we fix the .ini and crash issues that some people are having, we can ALMOST have an ai free game. We need 1 more AC fan.

Me
KC
Sovy
Bishop
Dmitron
JoKa
1 AI :(

Higher Game

Arcane
Frau Bishop said:
Ach, already when we started the game I told you to surf the Codex or watch a good movie while playing! You really need something that keeps you distracted from planning your next turn... 10 turns! You are worse then the AI, I always suspect some heavy cheating - but I can't quite put my finger on it! ;)

I make many of my moves and planning during my opponent's turns, and see how they execute when my turn comes around. The only truly cheap exploit I did was crawler load one of my bases to intentionally fungal pop before making tree farms. The extra minerals also came in handy for snatching the weather paradigm. It's not that bad, since you could have done it, too. In fact, much of the game involves timing the transition from normal improvements to forests effectively. I didn't see a single forest in your territory. ;)

SlavemasterT said:
How does SMAC multiplayer work? It takes me days to finish one of those games, and that's with AI controlling the other factions.

Someone hosts and the others join by typing in his IP address, which is visible on the Hamachi screen.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I've never played SMAC before. I just picked it up though in The Conquerors Collection:
  • Celtic Kings: Rage of War
  • Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle
  • Sid Meir's Civil War Collection (Gettysburg, Antietam)
  • C&C Tiberian Sun
  • SMAC
I'm a long way off multiplayer though. First I have to install it, which requires time.

Jed said:
Quigs said:
What next? "PS:T is great if you're a reading nut"?
Actually, that is pretty true.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I still want to play you in Starcraft DU. For some reason I suspect you're the closest to me in skill level. It would be fun to play against someone who both doesn't completely dominate me and someone who isn't a pushover (no offense Nicolai, Jasede, SlavemasterT, Kreide Bein, etc.)

tee hee

Higher Game

Arcane
Since some guys can't get SMAC to work, SMACX could actually work if we could all agree on some serious rule modification, since a lot of the new stuff in SMACX is just ridiculously overpowered. For one thing, using the original factions is a must, since nearly all of the new ones are broken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom