Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMAC Alien Crossfire nowhere to be found?

jefklak

Scholar
Cruising through ebay has become an obsession lately, thanks a bunch stupid codex. Sid's Alpha Centauri is generally available both in Sold Out and DICE budget editions for a couple of bucks. I wondered where you can get the expansion pack nowadays. checking out the underdogs, I found out they host the AC expansion CD rip version. How strange is that? The original game is no abandonware and underdogs says "go buy it", but you *can* download the expansion? What's up with that?

link: http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php? ... +Crossfire
What's missing in the rip version by the way?

ixg

Erudite
Look at the prices on Amazon.com. $180-250 for a new copy of SMACX, $80 at least for an old one.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Boxed copies of the expansion are rare.

$100+ for the Planetary pack..

According to the wiki the rarity is due to it only having a single production run. Though I know nothing about the manufacturing side of games, can't verify.

What's missing in the rip version by the way?

Guess the secret project videos?

JoKa

Cipher
had to search on ebay for several months...cost me only 20€ to get it though - boxed. what a lucky kid i am.

@OP: the original SMAC may not be abandonware - the expansion most assuredly is...and in fact the only place to still get it is the net/ebay.

jefklak

Scholar
Thanks JoKa. Anyway, I don't think I'll bother with searching and just buy the original game with the HOTU rip.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Well, it really sucks anyway to be honest. The original is far better and I never bother with crossfire or have even completed a game.

PS I picked up the boxed single cd a few years ago for 5 dollars.

Dmitron

Arbiter
jefklak said:
Thanks JoKa. Anyway, I don't think I'll bother with searching and just buy the original game with the HOTU rip.

A 500mb ISO was available on P2P a while back. Probably includes the videos.

The original is far better

It's an expansion, not a replacement or a sequel. And no, Kata, it doesn't suck.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I direct DLed it (having once owned the game) from a website. Can't remember what it was called. Classicgame-something?

Dmitron

Arbiter
If you give-up on the torrent and can't find a direct download, there's a full iso available on emule.

It might be the French or German language version. It's easily patched to English using the files available here: http://smac.2be.cc/tools.html

Dmitron

Arbiter
Kotario said:
Dmitron, it is the English version of the game, and it seems to work perfectly.

Good.

Downloaded a similarly titled ISO a few years ago. Turned out to be German language. At the time, it was the only SMACX ISO available.

ixg

Erudite
That english language this is awesome because I have SMACX in french and SMAC in english. Thanks

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Downloading through emule can be slow as fuck, especially for older stuff. Expect to spend at least a couple of weeks to download youjr Alien Crossfire...

The upside of course is that your can find amazing amounts of obscure stuff.

LCJr.

Erudite
jefklak said:
Thanks a lot for the link Dmitron, but it seems to be in queue forever. Isn't P2P sharing great...

Have you used eMule before? There's a credit system that determines your place in que. The more you upload the quicker you get through the line.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Couple of weeks? Even on my third world broadband (max 40kbps) connection this isn't the case. Most important thing is to make sure you have a 'high id'. Using Emule, go to "Servers" , then "my info" box on the right under eD2K Network. A "low ID" will result in always being last in the queue. And you have to share to receive (unless you use a leech mod...).

jefklak

Scholar
I know, but still. Anyway, managed to get it through HOTU finally.
And lol, it's a _standalone_ expansion? Even funnier!

dagorkan

Arbiter
LCJr. said:
jefklak said:
Thanks a lot for the link Dmitron, but it seems to be in queue forever. Isn't P2P sharing great...

Have you used eMule before? There's a credit system that determines your place in que. The more you upload the quicker you get through the line.

Back when bothered with file sharing I would end up with a ratio of 1:5 download/upload (and uploaded tens of Gigabytes) but my speed was always horribly slow and the ratio kept getting 'better'. What's up with that? Are there ways to trick the system?

Dmitron

Arbiter
dagorkan said:
LCJr. said:
jefklak said:

Back when bothered with file sharing I would end up with a ratio of 1:5 download/upload (and uploaded tens of Gigabytes) but my speed was always horribly slow and the ratio kept getting 'better'. What's up with that? Are there ways to trick the system?

With Emule there are ways.. You can limit outgoing traffic using an external application (e.g. netlimiter), or use a leech mod (emule dazzle 1.05). I use both. My ratio is 40 downloads to 1 uploads.

Before anyone presumes I'm an aZzHoleZ for leeching: Where I live, in addition to paying for the "privilege" of having broadband, you pay for actual bandwidth too. This is due to a monopoly held by our singular telecommunications company. While you first worlders are doing 100gb a month, unlimited, I'm stuck at between 6 to 8 gig per month (includes browsing). It doesn't go far.

Slow speed might be because you haven't forwarded ports on your router.

LCJr.

Erudite
My ISP has the monopoly on DSL in my area and thanks to them I'm stuck with a lowid. I've set upload to 32kb/sec and still my upload/dl ratio stays at around 2.3/1. Haven't noticed the lowid putting me at the bottom of the que since the dl's usually start within a few minutes of connecting.

Dmitron

Arbiter
That lowid is having some kind of an affect.. considering I'm living in the asshole of the world and download at 40kb/second (the max of my sad connection) while uploading 1kb/second. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom