Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Slipways - Autistic Traveling Salesman Simulator in space

3 others

Scholar
I've been meaning to pimp Slipways for some time now here. It's a recent space-themed resource management game with surprisingly polished execution for a (mostly) one-man auteur project. In my opinion Slipways' promotion shoots itself in the foot when it's described as a "4X grand strategy game without combat" or something similar to that, when the game is instead a Traveling Salesman Multi-track Drifting Optimization puzzle game at its core. The space theme is mostly incidental, and I think its closest comparable could be something like Mini Metro.

Slipways-PC-Game-Free-Download-for-Mac.jpg

The game world is a randomly generated universe of planets floating in space. Each planet has resource(s) that it exports and resource(s) that it wants to import. The titular slipways are paths that connect two planets to each other for trading purposes and each fulfilled import brings some yearly revenue to your account. The simple premise gets more complex with several catches, the most important of which is that slipways can't cross each other. Furthermore, planet types aren't known before they've been scanned, planets' import/export capacity grows as they get involved in the intergalactic economy, and so on. Planet #1 produces water, which it delivers to Planet #2 where they mine iron ore, which is delivered to Planet #3 which makes robots that are sent to Planet #1 so they can produce more water. The miners for Planet #2 were naturally imported from some other Planet #4 and you have to start finding someplace to deliver the surplus water Planet #1 now produces. There's always somewhere to expand or something to optimize.

Building slipways, colonizing planets, sending probes, and other actions cost both money and time in 1 month segments. Money tends to be an issue at the beginning, time at the end. The whole game lasts for 25 years which amounts to a pleasant 1 hour of real life clicking and thinking.

I-cant-get-enough-of-Slipways-a-chill-grand-strategy-750x375.jpg

The game is priced at a very reasonable 15$ level and while it does get stale after enough runs, I found it replayable. Besides the distribution of planets changing from one game to another, you have a Board of Directors with 3 selectable alien races that gives different semi-randomized benefits and researchable technologies for each game. The tech tree can change your economy in fundamental ways: the inventions start from Iceball planet colonies and end with synthesizing resources from empty space. Of course, any investment into research comes at the cost of improving your economy so it's another tradeoff to balance.

There's even a campaign with some more gimmicky-yet-entertaining levels: Create an enclosed barrier with your slipways around a slowly expanding black void. Find a precursor relic megastructure and connect loads of research labs to it. Naturally you have to meet these objectives within the same 25 years and not go bankrupt in the process.

For a small project, the audiovisual presentation is really polished. The slipways look sleek while pumping their contents between planets, audio effects are pleasant ethereal plink plonks, the time rewind effect looks cool. It looks like the semi-casual game it is at heart while managing to avoid any shovelware aesthetics.

The dev is planning one more large update to the game later on this year, which will at least include the final campaign levels and some more quality-of-life improvements. I'll revisit this then unless the urge hits again.

A bunch of full reviews. Don't think I've ever seen a negative one anywhere:
https://explorminate.co/slipways-review/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/slipways-review

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been struggling the last few days to get full platinum on tough difficulty. My best is like 25k. The money problem is so much harder for me to solve with that piddling trade income.

One feature you didn't mention that I really like is that you can't go backwards in the tech tree (well, without that one perk). It really makes it a hard choice of what techs you want sometimes and adds more variety to the games.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I played this a few rounds. It was ok, but ultimately I felt the RNG was too restrictive and made a lot of things really annoying, especially when combined with the time limit, as by the time I got any cool tech the game was over. It's entirely possible that's mostly just me being bad, but either way, I only played 3 or 4 games and haven't looked back since.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
The last "weekly" patch was in February. I hope the lack of updates is because he's working on the last four levels of the campaign. I think the campaign is really well done. It does a good job of mixing up the basic formula.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Final update coming next month. It'll add modding support, but I wonder if anyone will care. I'll at least be satisfied to finish the campaign. I think those levels are quite interesting.

Final update coming soon!
Third campaign act, modding support and more, coming by the end of June!
Good news, everyone!

While a combination of factors has made work on the game in 2022 a bit slower than I'd like, I wanted to let you all know that the third and final update is well underway and expected to ship by the end of June. Thank you all for your patience - I'm making good progress now and working hard to make this update worth the wait!

To clear up any confusion: this update is still not DLC and will be available for free to all existing and new players of the game.

What's in the update?

Here's a brief list:
  • The third act of the campaign, in which we'll conclude the story and see how each of the races approaches the looming crisis
  • Other gameplay additions, including new technologies, sector quirks, events and council tasks
  • Modding support, allowing you to use the same tools I'm using to make your own stuff: from small mods adding a few technologies to big ones introducing a whole new campaign or game mode
  • Quality-of-life improvements, for example allowing picking sector quirks directly, or quickly rerolling another sector with a different tech setup
  • As always, smaller fixes and UI improvements

41f66b6832391bf70657e1f5b8d491a78308e48b.png

This batch of campaign missions is the most complicated one yet. It took a few false starts and lots of iterations to get them working to my satisfaction, but I feel like we're on the right track now and these last five missions will be a worthy ending to the Slipways story. I can't wait to see you play them.

Making this game has been a long journey, but we're almost at its conclusion now! I'm not ruling out smaller updates or ports to other platforms in the future, but in terms of gameplay, this will be the final, definitive edition of Slipways.

That doesn't necessarily mean the end of new content - with the upcoming modding support, the ball will be firmly in your court! I expect the community will be able to make new stuff for the game faster than I ever could. I for one can't wait to see what shiny new things you all come up with once the update hits.

Until that happens, see you around the galaxy!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1264280/view/3193625777784132336

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
The third update is out. It adds five more campaign levels that are all about racial purity as each race has its own plan to survive the coming destruction of the galaxy. Only one race is used for each mission, instead of the usual three. It's definitely an interesting change from the base formula. The standard mode improvements are nice. Being able to select sector quirks is a welcome change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom