Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Slay the Spire is a pretty cool game

Arthandas

Prophet
While I really like StS, I don't think it has enough content to warrant repeated runs. I beat it with each class, finished some ascensions and I'm already bored with it.

You guys should check Roguebook. I think it's just better in every single way and it just doesn't get stale.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
While I really like StS, I don't think it has enough content to warrant repeated runs. I beat it with each class, finished some ascensions and I'm already bored with it.

You guys should check Roguebook. I think it's just better in every single way and it just doesn't get stale.
The most interesting are 20 Ascension runs (using custom mode) and "Daily Climb"challenges. Playing every level up to 20 is indeed boring.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have just recently decided to give this game a try and then 4 days of constant playing passed :D
But I finally finished one run with Ironclad. I tried all kinds of tactics but in the end going all into defense allowed me to beat it in my second battle with 3rd boss. My 1st battle was also going full defense but I fought some crazy one that resurrects once you kill him once and I could not do it again as I was out of potions and health. Funny shit, I had better defense cards in my 1st battle (like the one that deals damage each time you gain any block).

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm coming back to StS after a few years and I still don't get this game's hype. I've added the top mods, packmaster, downfall, spire biomes...and I'm still bouncing off it. I finish every run that goes past the first boss.

The enemies are so goddamn boring. There's like 5 archetypes, but even if there were a hundred their abilities are so goddamn boring. I feel like I'm playing a solitaire because I either draw the cards I need to deal with enemies or I don't. So it's all in the deckbuilding, and that makes most decks need a balanced approach, which again, yawn. I may combo draw and play the whole deck, but that's less likely and predictable than a godlike Binding of Isaac run.

Maybe I need to up the difficulty level, but I don't believe that'll unlock new AI or skills.

What do?

J1M

Arcane
The enemies are so goddamn boring. There's like 5 archetypes, but even if there were a hundred their abilities are so goddamn boring. I feel like I'm playing a solitaire because I either draw the cards I need to deal with enemies or I don't. So it's all in the deckbuilding, and that makes most decks need a balanced approach, which again, yawn. I may combo draw and play the whole deck, but that's less likely and predictable than a godlike Binding of Isaac run.

Maybe I need to up the difficulty level, but I don't believe that'll unlock new AI or skills.

What do?
It was the game that introduced deck building and card battles to the steam audience. It also had a rock solid weekly update cadence which made everyone in early access feel like they were part of the development process.

TLDR: Your question is basically: "why isn't today 2018?"

Cross

Arcane
I'm coming back to StS after a few years and I still don't get this game's hype. I've added the top mods, packmaster, downfall, spire biomes...and I'm still bouncing off it. I finish every run that goes past the first boss.

What do?
I like it, but I agree that encounter design is probably the weakest part of the game. While each enemy has a unique mechanic, the game never mixes and matches different enemies. You're always fighting the same static encounters. There's a mechanic where enemies can surround you (making you take more damaged from the enemy you have your back turned to), but bizarrely, there's only a single encounter in the entire game that utilizes this mechanic.

That being said, it's still by far the best game of its kind. It's spawned endless clones, but none of them have the same variety of different deck builds and interesting synergies. The mechanics I've seen in Slay the Spire clones come across as gimmicky and convoluted without adding real depth.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

What do?
That being said, it's still by far the best game of its kind. It's spawned endless clones, but none of them have the same variety of different deck builds and interesting synergies. The mechanics I've seen in Slay the Spire clones come across as gimmicky and convoluted without adding real depth.
That's disheartening. I had some hope for Erannorth Chronicles but it never picked up.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

What do?

Don’t… play it?

I’m a huge card game fan and I can see the appeal, but just like you I couldn’t get into the repetitiveness of this one. It’s just not for me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom