Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Skywind in 2020

Viata

Arcane
I'm assuming there isn't one.

I remember always looking at a mod, lets say two werewolf mods, and neither modder wouldn't say if it was compatible with the other one.
There are contributing factors. Some of my feelings as ex modder:
- By the time you release your mod, you're so fucking exhausted, that you just don't give a fuck about anything anymore. Checking for compatibility is just not something you have any energy for.
- You often don't check out other mods, because "what if they're better?" Then all your efforts will have been for nothing.
- If you know that they exist, you hate that there are other mods like yours. Fuck them.

Maybe everyone experiences these feelings in various proportions. Compatibility is the last thing on a modder's mind.
Man, being a modder must really sucks. You try to do something you found interesting, decide to release it so other people can also have fun playing the mod you create. You wait for people to tell their opinion on your mod(if it's good, you can be happy, if it's bad, you know what you need to get better at), but what do people complain about?
"This mod is not compatible to this other mod". :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Viata

Arcane
Also: "I'll mark the position on your map." What the fuck? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIU21A8cv5w&t=148
Absolute fucking garbage.
:nocountryforshitposters:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hrundi

• Nchurdamz: "Go to Nchurdamz, a Dwemer ruin far south of Sadrith Mora, and talk to Larienna Macrina. Help her clear out the necromancers there and report back to me. I'll mark the position on your map."
Well, what did you expect from another garbage? :lol::lol::lol:

ADL

Prophet
  • Nchurdamz: "Go to Nchurdamz, a Dwemer ruin far south of Sadrith Mora, and talk to Larienna Macrina. Help her clear out the necromancers there and report back to me. I'll mark the position on your map."
The original too then. Dozens of people worked on Morrowind and no one had the realization that they struck gold with the exploration aspect of the game? Purists be damned, Skywind should've rewritten that dialog and removed quest markers altogether that way it'd be an improvement in some way.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Every single one of these whole-game remakes on new versions of Bethesda's wonked engine are absolutely sisyphean. Several years and hundreds of man-hours to complete, and at the end of it all you have to show is a version of the game inferior to the modded original and a folder full of cool concept art.

Their drive is commendable, but their effort is wasted.

But as Sisiphys said "it's good excercise".

Codex Year of the Donut
The original too then. Dozens of people worked on Morrowind and no one had the realization that they struck gold with the exploration aspect of the game? Purists be damned, Skywind should've rewritten that dialog and removed quest markers altogether that way it'd be an improvement in some way.
"Alright let me tell you how to get to this far away place in a new land you know nothing about. First off you--"
Hold on, I have a map. Can you just mark it for me to help me find my way there?
"NO! YOU NEED TO EXPLORE TO FIND IT!"

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Man, being a modder must really sucks. You try to do something you found interesting, decide to release it so other people can also have fun playing the mod you create. You wait for people to tell their opinion on your mod(if it's good, you can be happy, if it's bad, you know what you need to get better at), but what do people complain about?
"This mod is not compatible to this other mod". :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And if you are Giskard you go mental if explained how to make your mod compatible with the other mod.

None

Scholar
Besides the enhanced visuals, is there any benefit to using Skyrim's engine? I'd imagine a lot of time being spent trying to add things back in that Todd has removed since Oblivion (skills, dialogue, etc).

Zanzoken

Arcane
Also: "I'll mark the position on your map." What the fuck? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIU21A8cv5w&t=148
Absolute fucking garbage.
:nocountryforshitposters:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hrundi

Lmao everyone knows proper Morrowind directions go like this.

"Okay outlander, to get to Iaelhtaiep you leave town and go to the fork in the road, then go south, then turn left at the pile of rocks, then left again, then go past the Paghdaalep ancestral tomb, then levitate because you're stuck against a mountain, backtrack for a few minutes, then the ruin will be on your right."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Might be out in time for TES6 then it's back to the drawing board as modders try to perfect Hammer-wind.

Blake00

Learned
I was just over in the Skyblivion thread here and thought "I wonder if there's a Skywind thread and sure enough here is it. Like everyone else I've been following and drooling over their videos over the years but yeah like I said in the Skyblivion thread you get the feeling by the time they finish there will already be another Elder Scrolls out lol, if they finish! Since didn't that happen with the Morrowind mod for Oblivion? (think it was called Morroblivion) By the time the thing was reasonably playable/complete everyone was already off playing Skyrim and they started the Skywind project lol.

Avarize

Magister
I was just over in the Skyblivion thread here and thought "I wonder if there's a Skywind thread and sure enough here is it. Like everyone else I've been following and drooling over their videos over the years but yeah like I said in the Skyblivion thread you get the feeling by the time they finish there will already be another Elder Scrolls out lol, if they finish! Since didn't that happen with the Morrowind mod for Oblivion? (think it was called Morroblivion) By the time the thing was reasonably playable/complete everyone was already off playing Skyrim and they started the Skywind project lol.
Still worth it to get a quality TES title on a more modern iteration of the engine. It's not like we'll get one from Bethesda.

deama

Prophet
Looks neat but will they also fix some of the mechanical issues? Like if you jump over 6 feet you hit an invisible wall and you stutter?

Thal

Prophet
Remaking Morrowind successfully is going to be really hard. I just finished the original, and here are some observations.

First, Morrowind's quests are typically either fetch quests or kill quests. Just by themselves they are boring as shit, but Morrowind makes these quests interesting by utilizing the worldspace as their integral element. What I mean by this is that finding the place and getting there and back is effectively part of the quest. The first thing you usually do, is to take a look at the map, and decide the place you are going to set off from.

Your trek to the inland then is constrained pretty much by two things. The durability of your weapon, or you access to mana potions, enchanted items, etc. Magic is only a soft limit really, because you can rest, but relying on it can make things tedious. Then there's the encumbrance limit. You don't have to carry your loot back to the town, but most likely you are going to want to, and on the way you'll probably raid many dungeons.

This also why the challenge of the game takes a nosedive after you reach level 10 or so. This happened to me even with self-imposed restrictions of not using spellmaker, enchanters and not abusing alchemy. Your character is simply too well-off in all possible ways that these constraints disappear almost completely.

You can add Skyrims combat system, but you can't really change all the quests. They're still fetch quests, even if you expand the dungeons a bit or if you add some cosmetic puzzles here and there. Moreover, anything that weakens the need for resource management will be to the detriment of the game. The only way to compensate this would be to make combat Requiem-level challenging, but getting it right would be really difficult. I recall even Requiem falling apart after you reach 75 in some magic skills, because the deleveled world simply can't challenge you anymore.

I'm still gonna try it when it gets released, but I doubt its going to rock anyone's world.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
looks like shit, voiceovers are terrible, loses the charm morrowind had, and uses a worse dialogue system

extremely sad!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom