Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Skywind in 2020

Drowed

Arcane
I'm not gonna lie, I would even pay to play a full version of this. Not the price of a full game, but still.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm thinking about how many tens of thousands of man hours have gone into this, and how the end result is just going to be inferior to a game that already exists. For all their effort, they still have quest markers and but a handful of dialogue topics.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If Bethesda recognised that their games are just platforms for modders to make them better, they would release a tool that scans for conflicts and logs loading orders.

I'm assuming there isn't one.

I remember always looking at a mod, lets say two werewolf mods, and neither modder wouldn't say if it was compatible with the other one. Just something along the lines of: if any other mod changes the file that's gonna break your game completely, then it isn't compatible with this mod. So fuck off and use trial and error for the next couple of days.

Why would anyone play that? Or a total conversion without mods.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If Bethesda recognised that their games are just platforms for modders to make them better, they would release a tool that scans for conflicts and logs loading orders.

I remember always looking at a mod, lets say two werewolf mods, and neither modder wouldn't say if it was compatible with the other one. Just something along the lines of: if any other mod changes the file that's gonna break your game completely, then it isn't compatible with this mod. So fuck off and use trial and error for the next couple of days.

xEdit shows mod conflicts and is pretty much a mandatory tool for advanced Bethesda modding.

Drowed

Arcane
For all their effort, they still have quest markers and but a handful of dialogue topics.

I get what you're saying, but I think that's their goal from the beginning.

Many people love the keyword (or "topic-oriented") dialogues, but honestly it was never one of the strengths of the game for me. Chatting with 20 NPCs who answer the same 2 or 3 dialogue options for the same questions is not something particularly interesting. I mean, it kinda makes sense and I understand why it is the way it is, and I know that many Codexers are fans of this particular style of dialogue, but it was never something I really liked. For me it's one of the weakest points of the game, what I've always liked most is the visual identity and the atmosphere as a whole.

The dialogues have always been like navigating a sea of generic and repeated sentences to eventually find something interesting. Most of the time, the idea is to simply click on all the options without even reading anything (because you've read this same dialogue 300 times) just to see if this time you can get some new keyword, and then repeat the process. Yeah, sue me, but if there's one thing in Morrowind I won't miss it's the kind of dialogue it had. I know the idea is to show that the world is a real place and that NPCs have "life" and react and interact with the player, but I think the game would be 50% better if 80% of NPCs simply didn't have any dialogue at all. They could just answer a "good morning/evening" in audio and not even open a dialogue box, because it makes no difference.

But the magic quest-compass really is cancer and should be crucified and burned. But eh... I understand why it exists. Thinking about who is doing it and for whom the MOD is being done, was inevitable.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

I remember always looking at a mod, lets say two werewolf mods, and neither modder wouldn't say if it was compatible with the other one.
There are contributing factors. Some of my feelings as ex modder:
- By the time you release your mod, you're so fucking exhausted, that you just don't give a fuck about anything anymore. Checking for compatibility is just not something you have any energy for.
- You often don't check out other mods, because "what if they're better?" Then all your efforts will have been for nothing.
- If you know that they exist, you hate that there are other mods like yours. Fuck them.

Maybe everyone experiences these feelings in various proportions. Compatibility is the last thing on a modder's mind.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Not to mention there are tens of thousands of mods for Skyrim, and nobody's got time to sift through them to find ones that may or may not be compatible.

gruntar

Augur
That shit tier amateur full voice acting makes it a hard pass for me.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The re-imagined locations and environments look neat. If it's ever relea-

Wait a second, let me fire up my time machine...

Looking forward to play Morrowind with OpenMW, and to hike, listen to fan-made music and dick around with stealth in Skyrim with Skywind.

If and when they are released and if I haven't got my head stuck in GTA V or PoE or something.
More like GTA VI and Avowed 2, buddy.

Azdul

Magister
Not to mention there are tens of thousands of mods for Skyrim, and nobody's got time to sift through them to find ones that may or may not be compatible.
There are mod compilations like Ultimate Skyrim, or World of Baldur's Gate, that make hundreds of mods play well together. There are patch collections like Requiem Patch Central or Skyrim Redone SE Patch Hub. LOOT will tell you about most common incompatibilities between popular mods.

Some mods have really terrible code and / or uncooperative authors. If the author does not care about compatibility, or is very protective about his "intellectual property" - some other mod will implement the same idea, and will become defacto standard, while original mod will be forgotten.

Wunderbar

Arcane
nX32a1r.png

kinda looks like halo infinite

Kainan

Learned
For all their effort, they still have quest markers and but a handful of dialogue topics.

I get what you're saying, but I think that's their goal from the beginning.

Many people love the keyword (or "topic-oriented") dialogues, but honestly it was never one of the strengths of the game for me. Chatting with 20 NPCs who answer the same 2 or 3 dialogue options for the same questions is not something particularly interesting. I mean, it kinda makes sense and I understand why it is the way it is, and I know that many Codexers are fans of this particular style of dialogue, but it was never something I really liked. For me it's one of the weakest points of the game, what I've always liked most is the visual identity and the atmosphere as a whole.

The dialogues have always been like navigating a sea of generic and repeated sentences to eventually find something interesting. Most of the time, the idea is to simply click on all the options without even reading anything (because you've read this same dialogue 300 times) just to see if this time you can get some new keyword, and then repeat the process. Yeah, sue me, but if there's one thing in Morrowind I won't miss it's the kind of dialogue it had. I know the idea is to show that the world is a real place and that NPCs have "life" and react and interact with the player, but I think the game would be 50% better if 80% of NPCs simply didn't have any dialogue at all. They could just answer a "good morning/evening" in audio and not even open a dialogue box, because it makes no difference.

But the magic quest-compass really is cancer and should be crucified and burned. But eh... I understand why it exists. Thinking about who is doing it and for whom the MOD is being done, was inevitable.
The dialogues function kind of as adventure seeds. And feel more like conversing but not if you feel compeled to click on every line.

Thal

Prophet
I'm looking forward to this, but at the same time I'm still pessimistic about it. If they can make combat challenging enough, like early to mid level Requiem, it can be great but I just doubt they are going to.

Codex Year of the Donut
why?

With regards to their massive redesigning of areas: ESO Morrowind was released in 2017. If they wanted Morrowind to look vastly different than it did due to technical issues or whatever, they would have done so in ESO. The author obviously does not care about Morrowind's original design or artistic direction.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

xEdit shows mod conflicts and is pretty much a mandatory tool for advanced Bethesda modding.

That's fair enough. But I assume this is a third-party tool developed by the modders? What I was getting at is that Bethesda should be so familiar with the concept of their games being about the mods, that they should have this sort of thing built into their creation kit/modding tool from the start, then everything is standardised. Then maybe the gamer could scan the mod he's gonna install prior to installing it and work out some kind of priority / discard system.

That way everyone is on the same page from release, instead of waiting for the community to sort it through. But then I''m not a modder, so what do I know. :salute:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
With regards to their massive redesigning of areas: ESO Morrowind was released in 2017. If they wanted Morrowind to look vastly different than it did due to technical issues or whatever, they would have done so in ESO. The author obviously does not care about Morrowind's original design or artistic direction.
Most of Morrowind's dungeons are generic and fully of copy+paste. They aren't very spatially interesting to explore. Making every dungeon truly unique would be an improvement.

Nchurdamz in Morrowind is just a Dwemer ruin that has a Daedroth and a crystal in one of its rooms. In Skywind they have added an elevator you have to fix, some kind of sewer or whatever you jump into, and a Daedric temple at the end where the Daedroth dwells.
Unless they are dumb and add those elements to every Dwemer ruin, it is now a unique dungeon that stands out against the rest.

Sadrith Mora looked pretty much the same to me, in a "don't fix what ain't broken" kind of way.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Every single one of these whole-game remakes on new versions of Bethesda's wonked engine are absolutely sisyphean. Several years and hundreds of man-hours to complete, and at the end of it all you have to show is a version of the game inferior to the modded original and a folder full of cool concept art.

Their drive is commendable, but their effort is wasted.

Unwanted

CruduxCruo

Unwanted
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Also: "I'll mark the position on your map." What the fuck? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIU21A8cv5w&t=148
Absolute fucking garbage.
:nocountryforshitposters:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hrundi

• Nchurdamz: "Go to Nchurdamz, a Dwemer ruin far south of Sadrith Mora, and talk to Larienna Macrina. Help her clear out the necromancers there and report back to me. I'll mark the position on your map."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom