Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Black

Arcane
Do you have something against people I quoted in my sig?
What's wrong, not MAJESTIC enough for you?

Joghurt

Augur
My impressions (not that anybody cares but fuck it) after playing for a few days:

Story

Sucks.

Was bored by the main quest after I got to some temple in the mountains where some old dudes teach you how to shout. Finished Thieves guild quest line and it suuuuuucked so hard. Why did it have to have some stupid shit about some secret/epic/majestic order who pray for luck to deadric goddess of luck. It really should have been about a band of theves robbing the shit out of everybody. Started the Dark Brotherhood quests but didn't finish them because it was too fucking stupid when I got the assassination of the emperror of Tamriel. Oh and that fucking joker guy was too fucking annoying.

Although what I like about narrative is that there is shitloads of dungeons where the story is told through notes, journals or the environment. This shit is a lot better done than in Oblivion. Too bad the dungeons are fucking linear.

And I must admit one more thing. I really like the setting. Especially the northern part of Skyrim with all the snowstorms and ice caves and all that shit. Although I think that I like them because I really loved Bloodmoon and still think it was an awesome expansion. I kinda enjoyed it more that tribunal and at times even more than morrowind because it had some awesome quests (seperate main quest line for warewolves, it also had a quest which involved building a colony). So yeah I admit - I like skyrim as a setting and Bethesda have done a good job at designing the northern parts of Skyrim.

Graphics
Come on! You know the answer - it can run on 7 year old console so it looks pretty bad on PC. Although there are some rare moments when it looks very pretty. Although animations are better than any Bethesda game they still suck ass and look stiff my dick.

UI
Shit Shit Shit Shit and Shit

Combat
If we think about Skyrim as an RPG then the combat sucks. If on the other hand you think about it as an action game then it's a lot better than any previous TES games. It's not Dark Messiah good but it's pretty interesting with all the separate hands system. It's more dynamic and fluid. It's especially fun to play with a shield when you unlock shield power bash perk which staggers opponents even more then regular shield bash. Also unlock the shit that slows down time when you block enemy power attacks and basically can escape any enemy power attack.

Stealth
Backstab is fucking overpowered. Ever since I unlocked the perk that let's me do x15 damage with a dagger from stealth and ever since I got dark brotherhood gloves which which double the backstab damage...well since then I have seen like 2 or 3 enemies who I couldn't kill with one hit. Basically I can kill anything with a sneak attack because it does x30 damage.

Probably gonna continue playing until I get bored and then post my final impressions.

roll-a-die

Magister
For people commenting on the UI of the favorites menu, if you highlight the item and then press 1-0 on your number line it'll hotkey the item to that. That made playing my mage much easier.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Ulminati said:
crufty said:
I don't think kids can be killed or even damaged.

First thing I did in that small village thing you go to was trying to set the annoying boy abaze with my magic flamethrower. I was dissapointed but not too surprised when he refused to die in screaming agony. Hopefully, mods will fix this.
Agreed. I'm hoping to LP the Stormcloak faction with my Anders Breivik character, and invincible kids pretty much ruin that possibility.

No, seriously, the LP will hopefully actually happen

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
No, seriously, the LP will hopefully actually happen

make sure to call it jimbob's dragon age: skyrim let's play, something like that

and keep referring to this as the world of thedas and talk about the chantry being very different in the frozen north, etc

I believe in you baby you can do it

racofer

Thread Incliner
p.good image:

bDLIH.jpg

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
So, i played some more and i have to agree that, after initial shock of bad GUI and unresponsive combat compared to Dark Souls is gone, Skyrim is quite ok. I'm sure i won't regret buying it. It doesn't matter if it will be 5/10,7/10 or 8/10 expirience in the end, what matters for me is that it has silent, fully customizable main character, so at least some good will come out of Skyrim's success.

1eyedking

Erudite
My reaction to Skyrim:
ZZZzzZZZzz

I'll only talk about art direction since it's what I always do:

The game's world is just awfully uninteresting and unbelievable. It's just the same old "epic quest" all over again, filled with an utter lack of verisimilitude in locales and character behavior. Everyone, from the Jarls to the local shopkeepers, act in the most mechanic and candid of ways, completely detached from the gameworld that surrounds them, as if they didn't care or know what's going on outside a five-meter radius (and if you put a cauldron on their heads it gets even shorter).

There's absolutely nothing to keep the player interested in the lore since it's always completely detached from the current state of affairs ("something epic happened at epic year number epic, where the epic warrior Epic killed this epic creature with his epic sword, and thus saved the village of Epic. It was epic"), and since it cannot be used to gain an advantage in quests that rules out every option save for it to be entertaining or at least amusing for it's own sake. But of course, it's not, since the amount of intellectual effort put into it wouldn't make a 15-year-break a sweat.

Voice-acting is fucking terrible. No goddamn exceptions. (A particularly shining example is this Farengar guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mgkgqW87OI&t=2m40s )

Music is fucking terrible, more of the usual generic orchestrated crap. Songs get always lost in an undecided, vague sea of flutes and violins where no particular instrument is capable of driving a melody forward, nor convey a particular feeling or emotion.

Graphics design is total shit as well. Armors, weapons, houses, chairs, tables, roofs, carpets...everything ruins any sense of world verisimilitude. Towns don't feel organic since there's no district division, no makeshift buildings (all houses look and feel like they are pre-constructed modules), no economy, no trading routes...nothing, there's just nothing to keep your interest going.

Would write more, but it's the same old tale as always. I've gotten tired of explaining the same concepts over and over again. Play this piece of shit if you're aching for an artistically brainless experience. Not even gameplay can save this piece of crap (which, for the record, is complete utter shit as well).

Ruprekt

Scholar
1eyedking said:
no makeshift buildings

But joking aside, viking and classical culture cannot into bourgeoisie hence no Art Direction and no Personality Driven Narative.

There's family, politics, saga and myth... fodder for your 15 year olds.

But no Real Life; no Verisimilitude.

TES games lack any sense of natural order or Human Action. No drives, vices or ambitions. No character types and no consequences for their bad choices.

Azarkon

Arcane
Bethesda has always sucked in that aspect and Skyrim is no exception.

I see Elder Scrolls games as sandbox games on the same lines as roguelikes but with much fewer monsters and much more NPCs - sort of like single-player MMOs but with more license for the PC to fuck around with the world. Roguelikes have virtually no story and Elder Scrolls games pretend to have one. In both cases it's not the point. Neither is the graphics, nor the music, nor the voice-acting.

What matters is 1) character progression (in the leveling and looting sense), 2) exploration, and 3) combat.

The point of these games is to build a godlike character and to revel in your masturbatory fantasy of crushing face in a huge open world.

Which is the reason Oblivion was an utter travesty to the entire genre with its horribad scaling system that made you feel like a pussy all year round.

A user named cat

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...devs/page__st__120__p__16798738#entry16798738

socrates200X, on 13 December 2010 - 03:22 PM, said:

I'm a UI programmer here at Bethesda, among other things.

socrates200X, Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:40 PM
wolfpup, on 13 December 2010 - 03:34 PM, said:
*hint hint* (link to DarNified UI) Please? *begs*
Ha, I love DarN! He bugs me with all sorts of interesting questions and conundrums. It's great! :D
I can only imagine Darn's "interesting questions". Maybe something along the lines of; "Am I going to have to fix this shit AGAIN?"

Anyway, flash forward to present:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...ing-the-gui/page__view__findpost__p__19263983

Now the dev is back and trying to help out Darn/others fix the botchjob he and his crew did. Earlier in thread, you can see the headaches being had just working on this thing.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Ruprekt said:
1eyedking said:
no makeshift buildings

But joking aside, viking and classical culture cannot into bourgeoisie hence no Art Direction and no Personality Driven Narative.

There's family, politics, saga and myth... fodder for your 15 year olds.

But no Real Life; no Verisimilitude.

TES games lack any sense of natural order or Human Action. No drives, vices or ambitions. No character types and no consequences for their bad choices.

Verisimilitude means making sense, not real life. Reactivity and generally making sense is always where ES seriesalways sucked, at least from morrowind on. The excellent but overambitious daggerfall programmers got replaced by script bitches plonking away at a notoriously klonky engine.

And of course art direction matters. Do you think they stage Ride of The Valkeries without trying to achieve something? I'd think trying to make a sense of an almost otherworldly place touched by valhalla for the large cities and open areas and capturing the grimness of life in the peasantry and perhaps some enslaved Dwarves would fit in perfectly.

ThunderHorse

Novice
Shannow said:
ThunderHorse said:
Shannow said:
Ah, the apologists are starting to come in again. Which is funny, because we (so far) neither hate a lot on Skrym nor is there a codex review to uncover all the faults to get butthurt over (yet). Still hoping they will be as entertaining as in the Oblivion time.
Horsy sure is off to a good start :salute:
But I'm a little disappointed that he didn't even try to weasel out and simply chose the ad hominem route. Ah well, can't have everything.
Ha the fact that so many have become offended when all I've said is that Skyrim is good exposes all of the offended as elitist snobs who've already made up their minds. Saying Skyrim is good makes me an apologist and a fan boy? Do you even realize how stupid that is?
No. So I'll ask the expert.
Tell me, Horsy, how dumb is it to register on RPGcodex just to defend Skrym?

I always thought stuff like that was extremely stupid, but perhaps the expert will convince me otherwise.

I don't see how it would be "dumb". Perhaps a minor waste of time. I extremely dislike elitism and Skyrim deserves some measure of acclaim.

ThunderHorse

Novice
Joghurt said:
Graphics
Come on! You know the answer - it can run on 7 year old console so it looks pretty bad on PC. Although there are some rare moments when it looks very pretty. Although animations are better than any Bethesda game they still suck ass and look stiff my dick.
What are you running it on? I'm running on a gtx 580 and it's beautiful. The lighting and water are especially nice.

Zlaja

Arcane
Bruticis said:
So, bros, arrows...How do they work? It seems it's my destiny to traverse skyrim with a FUCKING arrow stuck in my chest. Am I missing some magic healing technique or am I eternally bugged? I've had this damn arrow lodged in my chest for over 4 hours of play time. I've tried stripping naked and running around, hoping it would fall out but no luck. Any ideas?
EDIT: Lovely, now I have another arrow magically floating in front of my crotch.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/bruticis/screenshots/

Make sure to get hit by some more arrows. Non-bugged arrows might sort of replace the bugged one before they dissapear.

Kaol

Educated
Why should it get acclaim? It does nothing original and everything it does is done better by other games.

Compared to the witcher this game is shit.

anpd

Novice
Didn't like Oblivion at all. Skyrim has the worst UI I have ever seen in a game but still enjoy playing it. Has anyone tried playing with a gamepad, would imagine the UI works better that way.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
torpid said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-vC6pKkl1k&feature=player_embedded#!

The music that kicks in every time makes it even more :yeah:

Hero who acts like spoiled 12 year old rubble.... :patriot:

P.S. I know author is Canadian but this kind of vulgarity and :decline: comes straight from KWA courtesy of MTV, Jewwood, etc...

Medic

Scholar
Patron
villain of the story said:
Dear gawd, does the music really play in the game every time you use that? And FFS, Herp Derp Derp shout!

Ever heard of video editing?

MCA
I wouldn't be surprised if it actually worked that way in the game, though. It's Bethesda. Someone at Beth will probably think "why couldn't we think of that?" when he sees that vid.

draexem

Novice
Wunderpurps said:
Skyrim's not even got any stats, so it's pretty easy to write off for me.

That doesn't mean you have to go on a rampage about it but sorry it's not an RPG, and even if it's good for what it is it's of no interest to me. The only reason it gets any attention is there's no real RPGs made any more and most the current posters have never played one.

If you're talking about stats then you have no idea what an rpg is either. An rpg has never been about stats, there's never been an rpg game made for the computer either. Why? Because an rpg is all about freedom of choice and choice and consequence, you should be able to make any choice in response to any situation without being limited at all. Obviously this is well outside a computers power to emulate so there's no such thing as an rpg on a computer. All a person can talk about is how close some games emulate an rpg experience. If you wanna talk about stats then go play Tiger Woods golf or something. And if you're gonna talk about how there are no real rpgs being made anymore you should be aware that no one has ever made a computer game that could deliver an rpg experience. Ever. Not Planescape Torment, not Fallout and not Gothic.

Concerning Skyrim, it's decent. It's a fun game to explore and do stuff in. The creation of mods will make it even more fun. Right now I'm collecting clothes and books and am desperately looking for a house to buy. My main beefs in the game are the same as everyone elses, really not happy with the writing, character design and combat. I'm happy with the way you level up and the skills provided. I'm also happy that the level scaling has been partially fixed. I refused to play Oblivion because the level scaled loot made exploring pointless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom