Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Gerrard said:
So I guess it's probably my fault for not figuring out that in a game where you fight dragons, which can fly, melee combat would be fucking shitty.

From my experience so far 90% of the time you can't do shit with melee weapons to a dragon, because they either land on roofs or don't land at all.

Also hilarious situations where you are swinging your weapon at some completely unfazed enemy that is burning your face off.

I'm also getting fucking destroyed by pretty much any enemy that is not a grunt, despite having some 200 armor and said enemy attacking me with a dagger. Fantastic level scaling.

You'll get a shout later on which forces the dragons to land.
And yeah, I don't know what I do wrong, but I get roflstomped by enemies wherever I go, and this with level 28 and a full improved glass armor set. :?

CorpseZeb

Learned
Surf Solar said:
And yeah, I don't know what I do wrong, but I get roflstomped by enemies wherever I go, and this with level 28 and a full improved glass armor set. :?

... and this is bad because...?

Ps. How you imagine an Frustration Free Combat System without a Level Scaling?

Ps2. It is a sole purpose of a proper RPG system to be "roflstomped by enemies" - if you are not ready yet - that is.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
attackfighter said:
Monocause said:
I might be early in the game but I joined the companions and haven't gotten any sort of an epic quest.

I haven't joined the companions yet so I can't speak for them, but I can tell you that both the mage guild and thief guild send you on epic quests right off the bat (well actually the thief guild has a minor 1 minute 'initiation' type thing first, but after that it's all MAJESTIC all the time. As far as I know those are the only 3 non-plot related factions in the game.

Huh?

Thieves guild was

1: Pickpocket in the market place. 2: Extortion racket. 3: Breaking and entering. 4: Subterfuge. 5: Shadowing.

So the first 5 quests in were actually pretty plausible if you are willing to allow for the fact that they didn't repeat tasks. Sure havin gyou pickpocket 1000 gold worth of wealth or reak into 25 houses would be the sensible thing for the guild to do. But we'd all be bitching if a questgiver went "good, you broke into the house. Now do it another 20 times to earn us gold!". The setup is also semi-plausible and works well to paint the guild as being focused on earning money. Granted the 6th quest is a dungeon crawl and you see the twist coming from a mile away. But as questlines go it hasn't been paticularly bad.

My sole regret is not doing the quest sooner, as the thieves guild armor is better than improved elven armor as light armor ratings go and comes with a bunch of useful enchants. If I'd gotten it sooner, maybe I'd have died a lot less.

CorpseZeb said:
Surf Solar said:

Ps2. It is a sole purpose of a proper RPG system to be "roflstomped by enemies" - if you are not ready yet - that is.

Well, one would imagine that you'd be ready for most, if not all enemies when you're at a really high level and wearing one of the best armor.

Then again, being roflstomped even at high levels is at least more interesting than becoming an unkillable demigod.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It is not bad, but feels awkward when enemies are suddenly harder to kill even in areas I visited before, or draugr in dungeons are suddenly all deathlords (or whatever they are called) with bloated hp and all that. I have nothing against difficulty and actually thought they made it really nice in terms of progression, but enemies one shot killing you (even the "trashmobs") isn't my idea of fun to be honest.

How are you guys finding magic/battlemages? After the first 5 hours of trying 2 handers and 1 hander with magic, the magic option seemed quite a bit less effective. Do the higher level spells make this a more valid option or is it more of circle strafing whilst holding RMB watching the enemies' life slowly drain?

Surf Solar said:
It is not bad, but feels awkward when enemies are suddenly harder to kill even in areas I visited before, or draugr in dungeons are suddenly all deathlords (or whatever they are called) with bloated hp and all that. I have nothing against difficulty and actually thought they made it really nice in terms of progression, but enemies one shot killing you (even the "trashmobs") isn't my idea of fun to be honest.

Try an easier difficulty. I doubt the game is balanced for harder ones (lol lets make enemies hurt you 200% more and you'll hurt them 50% less, also they will have more HP. Okie were done can we go home now?)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
PWSteal.Ldpinch.D said:
How are you guys finding magic/battlemages? After the first 5 hours of trying 2 handers and 1 hander with magic, the magic option seemed quite a bit less effective. Do the higher level spells make this a more valid option or is it more of circle strafing whilst holding RMB watching the enemies' life slowly drain?

I only took my mage to around level 20 before I decided to reroll into thief. But by then combat mostly consisted of summoning a tank (usually flame atronach), then hanging back and firing icebolts or fireballs two-handed. If there was a lot of incoming ranged attacks I'd go with one hand having a ward and the other a fireball. If enemies looked super-tough I might precast stoneskin.

Xi

Arcane
baronjohn said:
except graphically.

I disagree. It's similar graphically due to the failbryo engine they use. Yeah, they've tweaked it, and it does seem a little bit more impressive, but ultimately the graphics are aesthetically better due to better artwork.

baronjohn said:
Yeah, there, I said it. Skyrim fucking sucks. The story sucks, the quests suck, the gameplay sucks, the dialogues suck, the voice acting sucks, the rpg elements... are non-existent, but it sure looks nice.

I could probably agree with some of your statements, but in comparison to Oblivion, it's a huge incline in about every possible way. The story is FAR better (which doesn't say much). The quests are FedEx/Kill but let's face it, there's really no other way to design quests on a mass scale (even on a small scale that's the essential basis of quest design too). The RPGelements are a little bit better this time around. There are some clear choices (with probably superficial consequences) that make it better than OB on almost every level.

baronjohn said:
I was doing the mage quests, and I can't help but compare it to Morrowind. Remember how the mage guild was down to earth in Morrowind? Remember how they had a normal looking building in the city? Remember how they started you out on really mundane tasks aimed at familiarizing you with your environment? Remember how you advanced through the ranks, and the ranks actually had requirements that made you sure you were an actual mage? Remember how the high level missions were mostly political?

The mage guild was "down to earth?" Wtf does that even mean? Normal looking buildings, that matters to you? The ranks had no requirements in Morrowind, for the most part. After an hour or two of playing, you could attain the highest level. Mods introduced stricter requirements, maybe you are referring to those? The politics were superficial in Morrowind. They accomplished nothing. Same with Oblivion. Skyrim is, no doubt, probably the same.

baronjohn said:
Well, fuck all that. That's not MAJESTIC enough. I can see the bethpizda meeting now. "We want something that kids who don't have enough of an attention span to watch Harry Potter movies will enjoy."

I disagree. There are quite a few new books in this game, and they require a sustained amount of attention span to read them. Sifting through every book you stumble across, for example, would take hours of a players time. Yes, most people skip this experience, but the experience is still there. Plus, there seem to be quite a few dialog options this time around, more so than I can remember from Oblivion. And, they even come with (superficial) consequences, unlike Oblivion.

baronjohn said:

I'm not seeing the objective, critical Codex opinion here. I see lots of fluff. Like I said, we would probably agree on many of the short comings in Skyrim, but to say it's worse than Oblivion, well, I'd have to ask if we even played the same game.

attackfighter

Magister
Ulminati said:
attackfighter said:
Monocause said:
I might be early in the game but I joined the companions and haven't gotten any sort of an epic quest.

I haven't joined the companions yet so I can't speak for them, but I can tell you that both the mage guild and thief guild send you on epic quests right off the bat (well actually the thief guild has a minor 1 minute 'initiation' type thing first, but after that it's all MAJESTIC all the time. As far as I know those are the only 3 non-plot related factions in the game.

Huh?

Thieves guild was

1: Pickpocket in the market place. 2: Extortion racket. 3: Breaking and entering. 4: Subterfuge. 5: Shadowing.

So the first 5 quests in were actually pretty plausible if you are willing to allow for the fact that they didn't repeat tasks. Sure havin gyou pickpocket 1000 gold worth of wealth or reak into 25 houses would be the sensible thing for the guild to do. But we'd all be bitching if a questgiver went "good, you broke into the house. Now do it another 20 times to earn us gold!". The setup is also semi-plausible and works well to paint the guild as being focused on earning money. Granted the 6th quest is a dungeon crawl and you see the twist coming from a mile away. But as questlines go it hasn't been paticularly bad.

My sole regret is not doing the quest sooner, as the thieves guild armor is better than improved elven armor as light armor ratings go and comes with a bunch of useful enchants. If I'd gotten it sooner, maybe I'd have died a lot less.

Extortion Racket and Breaking and Entering were both ill-suited as initiation quests. Why would they trust some new comer to collect their extortion charges for them? For all they know you could've just taken their money and ran off. And supposedly their best thief couldn't complete the breaking and entering quest so I don't see why they'd expect a novice like you to do any better (their membership was dwindling so you can't use the excuse that they saw you as disposable fodder). As for the other quests I can't comment, as I haven't done them yet.

The questline painted the guild as being this happy-go-lucky, cartoonish candyland where even an initiate like you is sent off on wonderful and exciting adventures. It would've been more appropriate to send you off on more menial tasks at first, dirtywork that senior members wouldn't want to do, like getting another clumsy initiate out of jail or getting some skooma for a client.

The guilds in Skyrim just don't feel like real guilds. The main function of a thief or mage guild would logically be to act as an intermediary between quest doers' and quest givers' - with the guild consolidating all the potential quests into a catalogue so that aspiring thiefs or mages could efficiently obtain them in exchange for giving the guild a cut of their earnings. This is sort of how they functioned in Morrowind (though there were exceptions) and it felt natural. In Skyrim however, that isn't how it works at all. In Skyrim the mage guild is basically Hogwarts without any entry fee, the thief guild is a gang of thieves that steals from some tiny town and lives in a gigantic complex beneath said town and the fighters guild (from what I gather) is a bunch of random werewolves or whatever. They don't have proper places in society and it's puzzling how they even exist given the extravagence they indulge their members in, the questionable nature of their funding and the ire they seem to draw from practically everyone (even the mage guild's supposedly hated).

Turjan

Arcane
Xi said:
The mage guild was "down to earth?" Wtf does that even mean? Normal looking buildings, that matters to you? The ranks had no requirements in Morrowind, for the most part. After an hour or two of playing, you could attain the highest level. Mods introduced stricter requirements, maybe you are referring to those?
All faction ranks in Morrowind had attribute requirements plus, except for rank 0 (Associate in case of the Mages Guild), skill requirements. For the highest level, you needed Intelligence 35, Willpower 35, one skill (of Alchemy, Mysticism, Illusion, Alteration, Destruction or Enchant) at 90, and two at 35. In the beginning, the attribute requirements may be a border (they start out at 30 for rank 0), while in the end, it's basically just the one skill you have to push. It's not terribly restraining, but it forced me to wait for rank increases in several factions in Morrowind. You may have looked for trainers, of course, but not all of them were easy to find.

Bruticis

This game sucks because the thieves guild didn't make me mop the floors as my first task.

Turjan

Arcane
Bruticis said:
This game sucks because the thieves guild didn't make me mop the floors as my first task.
I haven't played Skyrim so far, so I don't have any horse in this race, but if I understood the criticism correctly, it was more a problem regarding the suspension of disbelief. You have all these high level Thieves' Guild members who find themselves in dire straits and are facing their unceremonious demise. Then comes the newbie who, by doing a 5 minute beginner's task in front of the guild's doorsteps, suddenly solves the money problems and leads the guild to a new period of sunshine and happiness. Or so I was told.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Turjan said:
Xi said:
The mage guild was "down to earth?" Wtf does that even mean? Normal looking buildings, that matters to you? The ranks had no requirements in Morrowind, for the most part. After an hour or two of playing, you could attain the highest level. Mods introduced stricter requirements, maybe you are referring to those?
All faction ranks in Morrowind had attribute requirements plus, except for rank 0 (Associate in case of the Mages Guild), skill requirements. For the highest level, you needed Intelligence 35, Willpower 35, one skill (of Alchemy, Mysticism, Illusion, Alteration, Destruction or Enchant) at 90, and two at 35. In the beginning, the attribute requirements may be a border (they start out at 30 for rank 0), while in the end, it's basically just the one skill you have to push. It's not terribly restraining, but it forced me to wait for rank increases in several factions in Morrowind. You may have looked for trainers, of course, but not all of them were easy to find.
Yeah, it definitely took more than a couple of hours to get to the top of a guild in Morrowind. My rogue spent days picking mushrooms and herbs in the swamp near Balmora just to increase his alchemy skill enough for a promotion.

Also, politics played a huge part in pretty much everything that was going on around Vvardenfell, so I'm not sure if Xi has even been playing the same game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
PWSteal.Ldpinch.D said:

I only took my mage to around level 20 before I decided to reroll into thief. But by then combat mostly consisted of summoning a tank (usually flame atronach), then hanging back and firing icebolts or fireballs two-handed. If there was a lot of incoming ranged attacks I'd go with one hand having a ward and the other a fireball. If enemies looked super-tough I might precast stoneskin.

Xi

Arcane
Turjan said:
Xi said:

Fair enough.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Mages_Guild

Still, the other criticisms don't seem like valid complaints.

Gerrard

Arcane
CorpseZeb said:
Surf Solar said:

By not having a shitty combat in the first place? By not having fucking level scaling in the first place?
Thanks to level scaling, you will never be ready.

Clockwork Knight said:
Try an easier difficulty. I doubt the game is balanced for harder ones (lol lets make enemies hurt you 200% more and you'll hurt them 50% less, also they will have more HP. Okie were done can we go home now?)
I'm playing on normal, and there already were a few fights that would be plain impossible on anything higher, because enemies would kill me in 1 hit (200HP). What's the point of all this fucking armor again?

You know the combat is bad when you have to exploit retarded AI in order to win fights. You'd be so fucked if the NPCs could jump.

The title of this thread should be changed to "Skyrim VS Morrowind". As it is, it makes us sound like supposedly edgy but really retarded and contrarian morons. No wonder preople don't give a shit about our opinion, first we had a poll about the best RPG of 2011 in october and now a huge thread called "Oblivion is better than Skyrim LOLOLOLOLOLL". And it's a shame because there's a good discussion going on in it when you pass the first pages of derp (and I do derp in those pages too).

But then that's also why I love the Codex, let's shoot ourselves in the foot once more for glory! ;)

(Yeah I know: fuck you BCP newfag decline and all that shit...)

Monocause

Arcane
Gerrard said:
I'm playing on normal, and there already were a few fights that would be plain impossible on anything higher, because enemies would kill me in 1 hit (200HP). What's the point of all this fucking armor again?

You know the combat is bad when you have to exploit retarded AI in order to win fights. You'd be so fucked if the NPCs could jump.

UESP said:
Different locations in Skyrim have different inherent difficulties. In other words, some dungeons are designed to be too difficult for low-level characters to enter. More challenging dungeons are generally located at higher elevations, meaning that early in the game players may want to avoid mountainous regions. However, more difficult dungeons contain better rewards. In addition, some high-quality items can be randomly found even early in the game.
The level of a given dungeon is fixed the first time you enter it. Therefore, places that you enter early in the game will always contain relatively weak enemies, even if you return to the same dungeon at the end of the game.

Go elsewhere, level up, return later.

Bruticis said:

Mods will fix it augment my immersion.

Mages Guild, 1st Quest: "Your first task will consist of bringing me the ingredients from that shelf over there while I create a few concoctions."

Rewards: +1 Alchemy (if you observe the teacher's brewing animations long enough)

Mages Guild, 2nd Quest: "Very well, Apprentice. Now take these test tubes to the river and wash them."

Rewards: 5 Gold pieces (don't spend it all at once, ya hear?)

131870845897.jpg

Morkar Left

The game is fantastic--perhaps the best CRPG I have ever played. More than any other game, the combats make you feel like you are truly fighting for your life. The game world is impossibly detailed, and exploring the dungeons is the most immersive experience I've ever had playing a game. NPCs have real conversations with each other as you wander through cities. The quests, far from the mostly fetch-and-carry missions of Morrowind and Oblivion, are original and nuanced, and offer real role-playing choices. Unlike previous Elder Scrolls games, there are real dialogue options here (although not as extensive as in the Bioware/Interplay titles).

Shocking? It's not from me. It's from the crpgaddict. Here's the rest: Skyrim impressions

So, people of fair codexia, what's the deal with the game? Is it considered to be good? Let's say as good as NV? Better? Or just Oblivion with some small tweaks? I confused...

attackfighter

Magister
Morkar said:
The game is fantastic--perhaps the best CRPG I have ever played. More than any other game, the combats make you feel like you are truly fighting for your life. The game world is impossibly detailed, and exploring the dungeons is the most immersive experience I've ever had playing a game. NPCs have real conversations with each other as you wander through cities. The quests, far from the mostly fetch-and-carry missions of Morrowind and Oblivion, are original and nuanced, and offer real role-playing choices. Unlike previous Elder Scrolls games, there are real dialogue options here (although not as extensive as in the Bioware/Interplay titles).

Shocking? It's not from me. It's from the crpgaddict. Here's the rest: Skyrim impressions

So, people of fair codexia, what's the deal with the game? Is it considered to be good? Let's say as good as NV? Better? Or just Oblivion with some small tweaks? I confused...

The writing is bad, combat is slightly better than in Oblivion (they improved destruction magic, that's about it), level scaling is still noticable, graphics are decent, exploration is decent.

My verdict: 3/5
:codexisfor:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Morkar said:

I haven't bought it yet, but so far, so good! The consensus here has been extraordinarily positive! Bethesda took the feedback from Oblivion, and made the changes necessary for an immersive rpg experience. They must have a spy here ;) The controls are a litte bit to get used to, but maybe folks just aren't flexible enough.

The usual malcontents are running Skyrim down, but overall, the only people here complaining are the riff-raff who can't afford the game and aren't crafty enough to beat the copy-protection. So here they sit, commenting on how awful it is sight unseen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom