Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

You may be confusing it with Oblivion With Guns, which indeed didn't have any agriculture anywhere.

Not true, there's that one brahmin in Megaton with the guy raking the ground next to it.

q3KsJu.jpg

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game and best rpg of past 10 years, suck on it haters !
Only if it's modded to hell. Frostfall, Requiem, Needs, HD, etc. It's legit as hell afterwards. I can't bear more than a few hours of unmodded Skyrim. It's crazy bad.

Zeriel

Arcane
Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game and best rpg of past 10 years, suck on it haters !
Only if it's modded to hell. Frostfall, Requiem, Needs, HD, etc. It's legit as hell afterwards. I can't bear more than a few hours of unmodded Skyrim. It's crazy bad.

Not that what he said means much anyway. A better way to phrase it would be, "Skyrim is better than Oblivion." Wow, such praise.

Caim

Arcane
As of this posting Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all normally cost 15 euros, but there's a sale going on. Morrowind and Oblivion are 40% off, with Skyrim being 50% off.

There is no justice in the world.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Not that what he said means much anyway. A better way to phrase it would be, "Skyrim is better than Oblivion." Wow, such praise.
Actually, I really think vanilla Oblivion is better than vanilla Skyrim. I can actually play vanilla Oblivion. Vanilla Skyrim, not at all.

Zeriel

Arcane

Actually, I really think vanilla Oblivion is better than vanilla Skyrim. I can actually play vanilla Oblivion. Vanilla Skyrim, not at all.

Vanilla Oblivion has much sillier level-scaling than any other game in the series. Every game in the series suffers from it, but only in Oblivion does it actually cause serious problems for even casual players. That's to say nothing of the faces... oh god the faces...

Heavily modded Oblivion might actually be a better game than heavily modded Skyrim because it still has some RPG mechanics that Skyrim removed. But vanilla is a horrifying precipice of madness.

Jazz_

Arcane
If the base game is shit, mods can only polish that turd, they don't make games that are terribles in vanilla great. The main story is still the same, the writing is still the same, the quests are still the same, the npcs are still the same, etc. All mods do is improve the graphics, refine some mechanics, piling up more shit (more npcs, more quests, more flora/fauna, whatever), it's like giving a toyota corolla a new coat of paint, you improve it I guess but it doesn't become a BMW.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Just checked steam stats and Skyrim is still most played Bethesda game, the special edition with x64 exe bug fixes and better textures should do good for it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Maybe let's back on the thread? I haven't played Oblivion but from what I saw in Fallout 3 I think Skyrim is overall a better game. Just because it doesn't have atrocious faces, animations aren't janky and it is overall newer game? Of course it's worse RPG if we consider Bethesda games as RPGs but I would rather have more polished hiking simulator with sprint button and actual catmen than horrid graphical puke playing like a game from 1990s even when it got released in 2006 or around. I can't speak for mods but you can fix Skyrim to a degree it has fairly enjoyable melee combat - ranged archery/magic is broken because of stupid level design IMO.
Yawn.

The OP was either a troll or genuinely retarded - I don't even remember which and CBA to backtrack.
Obviously Skyrim is a far, far better game, far, far better TES and, despite more dumbed down mechanics, far, far better RPG than Oblivion:
  • For starters Skyrim is, even in its vanilla state, not a bad game while Oblivion was absolutely abominable.
  • For all its faults Skyrim looks like a genuine attempt at TES game, rather than terminally bland, generic aRPG with TES label slapped on for marketing reasons.
  • Skyrim looks like there was genuine effort and thought put into it, while Oblivion looks like none of the devs gave a flying fuck about what they were making.
  • Skyrim, even in its vanilla state has much less glaring level scaling.
  • Skyrim has genuine decisions to be made, both in its quests and in terms of character building which automatically makes it a superior RPG.
  • Skyrim's gameplay mechanics more or less works and is enjoyable, Oblivion, past few initial levels became a pointless exercise in tedium no matter what you did.
  • Skyrim has actual art direction and actually qualified artists doing the content, in Oblivion both looked like done by Prosper, or, at best, Bethesda's janitor.
  • Skyrim has far more overall cohesion, both internal and in terms of preexisting lore consistency.
  • Skyrim has far more actual diversity as far as content goes, in regards to basically everything.
Now, if you mod Skyrim properly, not even with that many mods, it turns from good-for-what-it-is to genuinely superb, while it takes inhuman modding effort to get OB to even where vanilla Skyrim is (I discount TCs for obvious reasons).

Since I've already discussed pretty much every single of those points in detail in this very thread (IIRC) forgive me if I don't elaborate - I have a lot of :avatard:to catch up to here, it seems.

Cant brofist enough :mrpresident:

Deleted member 7219

You are a fucking idiot for saying that here.

We know better RPGs have been released in the past 10 years. Even Divinity: Original Sin, a game I didn't like, is a better RPG than Skyrim. Then you have the Witcher games, Shadowrun games, Pillars, Fallout New Vegas, all of which have actual stat systems, reactivity and C&Cs.

I have tolerated your idiocy before as I have often wondered if you would be the new Volourn, but now your shtick is boring.

Take it to the Watch.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I guess it's all a matter of personal taste. I just finished Morrowind (again) and am 2/3rds into my draft review. I decided that now is a perfect time to play unmodded Skyrim while the memory of Morrowind is still fresh. I joined the Nords and am at their initial village with a side quest and main quest now under my belt. Some observations:

- The game is gorgeous but somehow ugly at the same time. Bethesda has been trying to make realistic-looking characters in their games since Oblivion, but the technology is not there yet and off-putting. I grant it they got better here with human characters, as faces in Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Dishonored were just friggin' creep. Now I feel I'm watching an odd puppet show by the guys who brought you Team America. I like playing Dunmer, though, and the elven characters somehow look worse off from Oblivion.
- Items that are not colored in a shade of light blue or gray look great, such as trees. But the game is as depressing as a movie filmed with a blue camera lens. They decided to take feedback from the negativity surrounding the bright colors and bloom effects of Oblivion and go the exact opposite and depend mostly on the color gray. I'm hoping the developers used modern graphical capabilities to make some location look bright and joyful in this game. Guess I'll have to keep playing to find out.
- Damn, that beginning is grim. I start Morrowind by coming out of the ship and seeing this wonderful, alien vista. I play through the first dungeon in Oblivion and see the spires of the capital city as a reward. Here, I get some stupid dialogue followed by watching people getting their heads lopped off. So much for parents sharing this game with their kids.
- And why would I join the Imperials? The game gives you zero reasons for doing so, since they are trying to use capital punishment against you and others without so much as a trial. Weren't the Imperials the annoyingly by-the-book, law-and-order race?
- I have no more fucking attributes? So I maxxed out all of them at first level and don't need to worry about them anymore? And my skill options are greatly narrowed. So much for specializing in a type of character. I still love reading about everyone's favorite character builds in previous Elder Scroll games. Forget about that here. I'll hold anymore criticism until I play some more and see how my character develops. So far I moved the meters a bit on marksman, one-handed, heavy armor, sneak, speach, and lockpicking without getting myself or any skills to level 2.
- This game is already too easy and I have no fear of danger or death. Starting the game off with a dragon was stupid, especially when my character can decide not to move during the dragon attack without the fires or dragon eventually consuming him. Everyone is yelling to me to get out of the way, and I just sat there to watch what happened. Some of the animations repeat, such as falling and splintering rocks. They should have allowed showed a dragon later when you knew the controls, autosave for you, then give you no option to quickly flee. Way to make a dragon attack seem like a 'meh' event.
- Combat is a simple click and move affair. Seems even more simplified then in past games. And now I regenerate quickly after combat? No need to worry about resource management, then. Or develop specific player tactics. Or require Mark/Recall spells. Or any need for restoration magic. Oh, and I just won several battles against multiple opponents when I would fear doing so in previous games and try to draw them out one-by-one or take one out using archery before the second could close on me. And I just killed a fucking huge bear with three arrows... at level 1. The game panned out and showed a slow-motion take on my last shot against the bear. The bear couldn't really get to me because I placed myself on some rocks, was weaker than I thought it would be, and the AI is stupid, so that moment seemed more derp to me rather than epic.
- I was able to carry a ridiculous amount of heavy armor to take to the first village and sell. The ridiculousness of the inventory situation from the previous games is escalated here.
- This game is patronizing me as if I was some insecure tween. I want a game that treats me as an intelligent adult. Hell, I wanted games that respected my intelligence when I was a young teenager, and now even more so.

I just took on two quests: one side quest to take on some bandits, and another to deliver a message to a jarl. Normally at first level I would do a courier quest first, but since it's obvious this game is going to do its best to ensure I don't die, I figure I'll take on the harder quest first.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well at least Skyrim has decent plot twist:

You find out later on that Leader of Stormcucks is A) Asshole B) For power alone C) Thalmor agent and his rebellion only helps Elven Goals of weakening the humanity D) Bear of Markham showing how hypocrite Nords are... Imperial Characters General Talius and his Nord Luetenent on the other hand are decent folks

Also reason you were to be beheaded was that Thalmor was alerted of Ulfric capture and came to rescue him... So Imperials hand was forced they needed to stike the rebellion hand before Ulfric would ''escape'' Elven captivity again.

Given that the rest of new Berh game you are some schmuck looking for your Farther middle aged guy or son while following the arrow its great :incline:; but of course Morrowind is still piece of art as game and superior to both its son and grand child. :obviously:

Saladin

Literate
Skyrim is just broken.
Vanilla game is just horrible.Modded is at least sufficient.

Main issue is that everything is useless.You can be literally Sauron and none gives a shit.
Secondary,the writing is a mess.

Those two things don't go well with my definition of good Rpg.

Problem is,same issues were present in Oblivion.
So skyrim IS bettere than Oblivion cause at least the new engine doesn't suck as hard as the old gamebryo

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U61 using Tapatalk

Saladin

Literate
China pay me for keeping that.

I already told Mr Jinping that it doesn't work that way,but he refuse to listen.

Cadmus

Arcane
how in the hell is vanilla Skyrim gorgeous? It's a plastic disneyland with shit textures, floaty physics and movement and garbage effects

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It had some really nice vistas. Most of the visual problems only became apparent up close.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
on steam Skyrim is more played than Fallout 4, damn :M
People piss more than they shit, damn +M.

Skyrim is not even challenging, especially with the utterly retarded level scaling it's got. Enderal is the only reason I even bother with Skyrim.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That one's reserved for Oblibian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom