Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim has full-sentence dialogue options.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Big incline -> They show 3sec of it -> It's worse than combat. :O

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
wasn't the number one codex complaint how they completely fuck up their own lore and turn the setting from rather unique fantasy into progressively more generic medieval fantasy crap each iteration?

sea said:

"Average height and build? Was he wearing anything notable, like a blue jumpsuit with the number '101' on the back?"

"Can't say. I think he was fighting the good fight with his words, though."

likaq

Arcane
sea said:

Writing in skyshit will be shit, i agree. I never denied this.
But what i wanted to say is full sentences >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> retarded wikipedia from tes games (apart from writing ).

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
likaq said:
But what i wanted to say is full sentences >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> retarded wikipedia from tes games (apart from writing ).
erh, not really.
full sentences are nice if you are a storyfag but then they need to be written well and consistently offer options based on a few personality archetypes, and even with well-written and consistent dialogue choices you are out of luck if none of the chosen archetypes are to your liking or make sense in your opinion.

keyword dialogue on the other hand allows more interesting gameplay options like stats actually flowing into dialogue (and being hidden, which is a good thing) and not being some static thresholds at best or entirely disconnected from the dialogue at worst, and more possible options. it's much easier to write proper answers and offer more meaningful choices when you have a protagonist who talks in keywords with general stance modifiers (say, deceptive/manipulative, aggressive/intimidating and so on) and neither eats up writing resources nor needs voice-overs.

but of course we are talking bethesda here, the same people that managed to fuck up the most basic implementation of keyword dialogue by forcefully inserting a totally retarded minigame into it.

1eyedking

Erudite
Keyword dialogue sucks massive dwarf cock, 'interesting gameplay options' my ass.

Good writers provide solid, memorable lines that are a joy to read and say no matter what is your 'personality archetype' (Fallout 2), while bad writers make the game a pain to read and play, even if they use lame keywords (namely BioWare & Bethesda).

I'd rather have more good writing, than less bad writing: if the latter is happening then the game is already shit.

MMXI

Arcane
Sorry, matey, but full dialogue options add fuck all to the role-playing. They are indeed nice for storyfags, but there's nothing you can do with full dialogue options that you can't do with simple keywords in terms of skill checks and other statistical things that add depth to the gameplay instead of the narrative. You can argue all you want about how full dialogue options add to the game's narrative, but in the end you have to accept that not everyone cares about the narrative in their RPGs. Especially not Bethesda RPGs.

1eyedking

Erudite
And some people actually care about narrative. Want pure gameplay? Play chess you faggot.

Spreadsheet dialogue systems are for mindless grinders, full dialogue options are for the discerning elite.

MMXI

Arcane
1eyedking said:
And some people actually care about narrative. Want pure gameplay? Play chess you faggot.

Spreadsheet dialogue systems are for mindless grinders, full dialogue options are for the discerning elite.
:what:

Sure! Whatever you say!

*backs away slowly towards the door*

waywardOne

Arcane
skyjob.jpg

what does comcast have to do with this?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
waywardOne said:
skyjob.jpg

what does comcast have to do with this?

:patriot:

THE JEWS ARE IN FULL CONTROL ACROSS THE POND!
PREPARE THE DEFENCES!

NUKE THE SHIT OUT OF THE STATES TO PUT THEM OUT OF THEIR MISSERY!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
1eyedking said:
Good writers provide solid, memorable lines that are a joy to read and say no matter what is your 'personality archetype' (Fallout 2)
motb had good dialogue and it still made me cringe because the motivation they force upon you when playing the evil path is essentially you doing it all because of massive butthurt instead of you doing it all because you can and can gain even more power by doing it.
the conversation at the end had all this "oh noes, how dare you do such a terrible thing to me, you will all pay for it" whining bullshit in it that did not fit the way i played and formed my character, but was the "lesser evil" out of all the conversation choices...
it's just so damn easy to ruin explicit dialogue even if it is well written by bringing anything internal not determined by the game but the player into it, like motivation or goals, or by fucking it up when you have something the player noticed and thought obvious but is the "omg plotwist" and thus the character cannot bring it up, no matter how eloquent, witty or smart he otherwise seems due to writing...

I'd rather have more good writing, than less bad writing: if the latter is happening then the game is already shit.
i'd rather have a game that impresses me with the amount of choices open to my character and the reactivity of the world than one that impresses me with how witty the lead writer can be and how much effort went into the writing. there's room for both, but due to the trend for rpgs to become action adventures and try to imitate hollywood movies as best as they can, the first kind is almost extinct.
And some people actually care about gameplay. Want good narrative? Read a book you prole.

Narrative "immershun" is for console kiddies, character choices are for the monocled elite.
don't be a stupid twat.
MMXI said:
there's nothing you can do with full dialogue options that you can't do with simple keywords in terms of skill checks and other statistical things
not true. something like the conversation with ravel would be a hard if not impossible thing to do properly with keywords, without making it look even more like a friggin monologue and losing a ton of atmosphere. explicit dialogue choices are generally more atmospheric at the cost of character choices, and atmosphere does become more difficult to build up in dialogues when you have a keyword system.. on the other hand you can devote the resources you save by cutting protagonist responses to more ingame lore and better dialogue responsiveness of npcs, which balances it out.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
MMXI said:
Sorry, matey, but full dialogue options add fuck all to the role-playing. They are indeed nice for storyfags, but there's nothing you can do with full dialogue options that you can't do with simple keywords in terms of skill checks and other statistical things that add depth to the gameplay instead of the narrative. You can argue all you want about how full dialogue options add to the game's narrative, but in the end you have to accept that not everyone cares about the narrative in their RPGs. Especially not Bethesda RPGs.

Completely true, but dialogue wheel is still way worse because they are implemented to give writerfaggots complete freedom for their "EPIC"....which is a much more serious case of storyfaggotry.

MMXI

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
not true. something like the conversation with ravel would be a hard if not impossible thing to do properly with keywords, without making it look even more like a friggin monologue and losing a ton of atmosphere. explicit dialogue choices are generally more atmospheric at the cost of character choices, and atmosphere does become more difficult to build up in dialogues when you have a keyword system.. on the other hand you can devote the resources you save by cutting protagonist responses to more ingame lore and better dialogue responsiveness of npcs, which balances it out.
What?
MMXI said:
there's nothing you can do with full dialogue options that you can't do with simple keywords in terms of skill checks and other statistical things

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
a) overead that, to my lame excuse it's 2am here and i'm still working...
b) but it's not just about skillchecks and other statistical things.

MMXI

Arcane
deus101 said:
Completely true, but dialogue wheel is still way worse because they are implemented to give writerfaggots complete freedom for their "EPIC"....which is a much more serious case of storyfaggotry.
Well, yeah. The problem with the dialogue wheel is that it basically categorises the types of things you can say to an NPC. In other words, it restricts possibilities and forces a simplified structure on conversations. This fundamentally changes/restricts things from a gameplay perspective. However, summarising verbose dialogue options up into a number of key words doesn't really change the gameplay as you can still attach skill checks and the like to them in exactly the same way, and the restrictions in terms of conversation flow and structure is just as limited/unlimited.

SuicideBunny said:
b) but it's not just about skillchecks and other statistical things.
What? Like narrative quality, atmosphere and even the setting? I basically acknowledged those in my post, too.
MMXI said:
They are indeed nice for storyfags...

You can argue all you want about how full dialogue options add to the game's narrative, but in the end you have to accept that not everyone cares about the narrative in their RPGs. Especially not Bethesda RPGs.
:smug:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
In the end, if the dialogue options are handled in the same way that they were with New Vegas, which was at least passable, then I'll be happy.

And as has already been stated, if you're looking for anything more than that in a TES game, you are stupid.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
put up a fucking mirror video

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom