Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima - coming May 30th

NotSweeper

Educated
Is it the same crew that always watches director’s cuts
Director's cuts are always superior to the theatrical release so... good on you for proving their point?

FalloutBR

Educated
It seems like Skald is getting some attention from Larian's Swen Vincke. I wonder if the new BG3 crowd will enjoy this...

image.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It seems like Skald is getting some attention from Larian's Swen Vincke. I wonder if the new BG3 crowd will enjoy this...

image.png
Really good marketing boost.

I might be jaded, but I would just assume someone at the publisher called in a favor. Or maybe Swen just saw the project and thought it was cool.

Nevermind that garbage, what's the bear-to-vampire ratio in this game?

FalloutBR

Educated

I might be jaded, but I would just assume someone at the publisher called in a favor. Or maybe Swen just saw the project and thought it was cool.

Yeah, someone probably gave him a nudge towards the game, but I don't think he would tweet about if he didn't actually thought that it was cool.

Game is still a month from release, after the Stranger Things-esque trailer and this endorsement, I wonder what he'll do to keep the hype alive until then... might even drop some pixel art fishmen romance a week before release.

Yeah, someone probably gave him a nudge towards the game, but I don't think he would tweet about if he didn't actually thought that it was cool.

Game is still a month from release, after the Stranger Things-esque trailer and this endorsement, I wonder what he'll do to keep the hype alive until then... might even drop some pixel art fishmen romance a week before release.
Pretty sure Skald Developer and some of Larian's developer including Swen has talked to each other and have known about Skald since their demo came out. Iirc.

BG3 crowd? probably not all of them. BG3 has gone beyond the niche. But I bet the visibility would help the Skald to gain some extra interest. It's not a bad thing.

Why people do keep assuming that BG3 generates interest for other RPGs besides Larians earlier games and possibly BG 1 & 2?
Because that is what many would likely to do.

They play Larian games, they like it, they look for more Larian games and something else like it.

BG1/2 is another matter, it's too old, but not impossible.

I've seen many avid cRPG player playing Pathfinder, PoE, even Bg1/2 originally hooked to the genre by DOS2 or now possibly because BG3.

It's the same logic that shooter player who interested in Stalker would likely playing New Vegas.

It's the same logic those who like X thing would seek X-similar thing.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's like thinking Marvel movies would generate interest in John Woo movies.
False comparison 101.

Marvel movies would generate interest in Superhero movies.
I don't even think that's true. Most people who watch capeshit movies pick a camp: DC or Marvel, and they're inexplicably tribal about it. Most of them don't start reading the comic books afterward. They're just normies who watch the thing because it had a big marketing push. When it's done they go back to being normies. BG3 to Skald is as big a leap for normies to make as capeshit action to gun-fu action is.

I don't even think that's true. Most people who watch capeshit movies pick a camp: DC or Marvel, and they're inexplicably tribal about it. Most of them don't start reading the comic books afterward.
Most of them don't, some of them are. That's my point.

Also DC "fans" ans Marvel "fans" only exist on Twitter. In real life, both "fans" (i.e. regular people) watch the movies from both studios.

FalloutBR

Educated
. BG3 has gone beyond the niche. But I bet the visibility would help the Skald to gain some extra interest.
Why people do keep assuming that BG3 generates interest for other RPGs besides Larians earlier games and possibly BG 1 & 2?
It's anecdotal evidence, but I do see some people show up in the Pathfinder reddit and even in the TTRPG Discord I frequent that come over looking for more "RPG stuff" after finishing BG3... so there's definitely some subset of BG3 players that might show interest. For a small dev like Skald's it might make a difference...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom