Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SKALD: Against the Black Priory releasing in Spring 2024

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: High North Studios; Raw Fury; SKALD: Against the Black Priory

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069160/view/3897366645121795643

Greetings, and happy Rawcember everyone!

Let’s dive straight into our big announcement for the end of 2023:
The launch of SKALD: Against the Black Priory is now officially set for Spring 2024!

Over the past year, Anders and the team have been hard at work on the game in order to craft a memorable adventure that we know you’ll enjoy, and we truly can’t wait for you to see and experience it by yourself.

Every system in the game has undergone meticulous polishing and significant enhancements since we last showcased it back in January 2023. But that's not all—additional features and improvements are still in the works to ensure that you’ll have a blast playing through the final game, whilst exploring its world and uncovering its mysteries.

Our free demo has been updated and now features an early look at some of the new features mentioned above, including font customization options, difficulty settings, and other accessibility or quality of life improvements.

As we gear up for the launch, you can expect more frequent updates and new content drops from us, so stay tuned by wishlisting the game on Steam and following us on social media!

Also, don't hesitate to drop a comment to share your reactions or questions about the game if you have any.

We can't wait for you to experience SKALD when it launches in Spring 2024!

The Raw Fury team​

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
"What I can say (and have said in social media already) is that the game is launchiong in 2023 come hell or high water." - direct quote from the dev on Kickstarter last March.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"What I can say (and have said in social media already) is that the game is launchiong in 2023 come hell or high water." - direct quote from the dev on Kickstarter last March.
He's still saying it. Look at the actual backer email I got.

1703020833299.png

Received today.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm personally a bit disappointed that they're going for this retro-pixel-art fantasy look. First, it was "C64-palette-inspired", but not really, because they used a lot more colours. Ok. Now we have literally hundreds/thousands of colours because of the lighting system. Dunno, I think it detracts from the "retro-ness" of it. I guess it's a weird psychological thing for me. Plus they still use tack sharp little rectangles, no CRT shader in sight... So I'm getting less enthusiastic at least about the visual side of things.

What I'm getting excited about is the Briley Witch Chronicles and similar games that run on a real C64 and therefore must adhere to palette & graphics limitations. Those limitations are important, they lend the C64 its character.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
no CRT shader in sight
The CRT shader has been in for over 2 years. The problem is that few to no screenshots show it in action.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the new lighting system either -- it feels less like a "C64 game the way you remember them" and more like an amateurish attempt to modernize this approach.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
They somehow made it look worse than OG C64 games with all that bullshit they crammed in, specially those ridiculous blobs of shadow.
Lords of Chaos achieved a lot more readability and detail with more constraints.

Demo was fun nonetheless, so finger’s crossed the gameplay will still be good.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
no CRT shader in sight
The CRT shader has been in for over 2 years. The problem is that few to no screenshots show it in action.
Yeah, I'm not the type who plays unfinished games or demos. I always wait until the full release so I'm only going by screenshots. It's good that they are including a CRT shader with the game.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the new lighting system either -- it feels less like a "C64 game the way you remember them" and more like an amateurish attempt to modernize this approach.
Exactly, it feels a bit like "because we can". Hardware restrictions shape pixel art in interesting ways, and by removing that you get this "modern blocky pixel art" which is just... meh.

Lords of Chaos achieved a lot more readability and detail with more constraints.
Indeed, that game looks really good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm personally a bit disappointed that they're going for this retro-pixel-art fantasy look. First, it was "C64-palette-inspired", but not really, because they used a lot more colours. Ok. Now we have literally hundreds/thousands of colours because of the lighting system. Dunno, I think it detracts from the "retro-ness" of it. I guess it's a weird psychological thing for me. Plus they still use tack sharp little rectangles, no CRT shader in sight... So I'm getting less enthusiastic at least about the visual side of things.

What I'm getting excited about is the Briley Witch Chronicles and similar games that run on a real C64 and therefore must adhere to palette & graphics limitations. Those limitations are important, they lend the C64 its character.
It is no longer a 1980s C64-like game, but more like what a state-of-the-art tile-based pixel art RPG released circa 1992 might have looked like.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik

It is no longer a 1980s C64-like game, but more like what a state-of-the-art tile-based pixel art RPG released circa 1993 might have looked like.

Yes, it lost the charm, now it's a SNES game. Look what it used to be...

Overland.gif

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It is no longer a 1980s C64-like game, but more like what a state-of-the-art tile-based pixel art RPG released circa 1993 might have looked like.

Overland.gif
It did look glorious, indeed. I wish they brought back that look, it was a perfect "modern C64 look". Game might still be good, of course, but yeah, for me the charm is largely gone.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
From their dev blog. I'd take the old 16-colour art on the left if I had a choice. I find the lighting effects a little bit garish.

3MqHHUB.png

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Overland.gif

Have to agree, it used to look great

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom