Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Six Things You Didn't Know About Dungeon Siege III

circ

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p><strong>Start your engine</strong>. This game is the first to use Obsidian's proprietary Onyx game engine. <em>Dungeon Siege III</em> is a perfect opportunity for us to show what we can do with our own internal technology. While Onyx is fine tuned for RPG production, it also is graphically powerful and was built with our art director's vision in mind.</p>
Hahaha! Obsidian and graphically powerful engine?! Hahahahaha! HAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!

dolio

Scholar
VentilatorOfDoom said:
IE games work on 6 second rounds
Until you get improved alacrity, at least. Then your mage gets to turn off the delay for 12 seconds at a time.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Overweight Manatee said:
No. Characters never wait for rounds to end. Rounds are 6 seconds. If the characters went by rounds it would be never be possible to move or attack after casting, you would have to wait until 6 seconds after you begun casting the spell to move. But in IE you can in fact make a character do arbitrarily many actions within any 6 second period, so that is clearly not the case. The only thing 'round based' is spell casting, which can only be done once every 6 seconds. Everything else has nothing to do with rounds.
You are wrong. It is as has been said, IE games work on 6 second rounds, only everyone gets his round at the same time. Use an item, e.g. drink a potion. Then drink another one. You character will wait for the next round, only then he'll drink the second potion. The same applies for spells/using a wand or any other form of action except moving. There is no *move*-action in IE games. You can always move, before casting a spell, after casting a spell. It doesn't matter. If you cast a spell and have seconds left in that round you can attack and move - if you have attacks left for that round. Otherwise you can just move. Anyway, the fact that IE games don't treat moving as standard action that can be taken only once per round as per DnD doesn't mean that the game doesn't work on 6 second rounds - it does in fact.

Ahh, OK. I knew I was forgetting a few things other then just spells.

In any case, the fact that you can command your character in between rounds means its not turn based. As I said before, the only thing 'turn based' about D&D is that casting spells/potions/wands all have a 6 second cooldown on them. Otherwise its entirely an RTS that lets you pause.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
IronicNeurotic said:
circ said:
Hahaha! Obsidian and graphically powerful engine?! Hahahahaha! HAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c-DMZGIPuQ

:retarded:

Judging from the video and what's being said in the comment section this game sounds more and more like a console fighting game then a Diablo clone. As absurd as it sounds, they actually found a way to dump down Dungeon Siege. Amazing.

Graphics look good, but its choke filled with consoltarted light effects and glowies. This game is going to undo any rep point Obsidian gained with New Vegas, and the tragic part is that its probably Square Enix's fault (but Obsidian are going to take the brunt anyway).

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
dolio said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
IE games work on 6 second rounds
Until you get improved alacrity, at least. Then your mage gets to turn off the delay for 12 seconds at a time.
Yes there's even a spell that let's you circumvent the cast once per round rule, being under effect of alacrity means you're only limited by the casting time the spell requires.

However, of course the game's not turnbased, it's RTwP. But it uses rounds under the hood. Another example: Say you're invisible and someone casts True Sight. Your invisibilty will be removed, but if you immediately drink an invis potion or re-equip the staff of the magi you're invisible again for the rest of the round. Only when the next round (for the True Sight character) starts the game will check for True Sight again and remove invisibility again. But yes, that you can move whenever you like greatly benefits your characters. You can move a bit, cast a spell, move a bit and then attack 5 times with Minute Meteors and then move again all in the same "round".

bonescraper

Lyric Suite said:
Judging from the video and what's being said in the comment section this game sounds more and more like a console fighting game then a Diablo clone. As absurd as it sounds, they actually found a way to dump down Dungeon Siege. Amazing.
You mean the combat is going to be deeper than anything we've seen in a hack and slash RPG? I'm no Obsidian hater but damn, you seriously overrate them.

Karmapowered

Augur
That doesn't look half bad, especially the stances. Thank you for the link.

There is wishing that they don't make a simple Sacred clone out of their creation, and give the whole thing a decent backbone story wise.

With all the awesum' button marketing trendz that are polluting the market, I have learned to expect :

:love:

and to meet :

:x

butsomuch said:

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The stance thing looks very TWitcherish.

Oh and DS3 is going to be cool because there is only one god, MCA, and George Ziets is his prophet.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Black Isle did this before.
Remember the Dark Alliance series for consoles? Or Champions (Ok, wasn't done by any Obs devs on the project but Avellone was involved in one of them)? That shit wasn't half bad and there were several Obsidian Devs involved in them.

circ

Arcane
That video seriously doesn't impress in any way. Looks like a dull Japanese hack n slash with shiny graphics.

I actually liked the original DS and DS2, mainly because of the amount of detail the graphics had. Horrible voice acting, but for a simplistic hack n slasher, the class skills were pretty fun. This has glitz, but no detail and since you're now solo, it doesn't alleviate the boring as fuck appearance.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
bonescraper said:
You mean the combat is going to be deeper than anything we've seen in a hack and slash RPG? I'm no Obsidian hater but damn, you seriously overrate them.

Diablo point and click combat > consoletarded fighting mechanics. Why? Because Diablo was never about combat. It was a character progression training ground. The only combat element in the game is how fast you can click and that part goes away once you start building your skills. Everything else is planning and playing with statistics and numbers.

Karmapowered

Augur
Just out of curiosity, what's inherently wrong about combat stances in RPGs ?

I thought they could add some situational challenge to otherwise lackluster combat mechanics.

See Kotor2, or older Godwar MUDs, for example.

Radisshu

Prophet
Wow, there are "hardcore" Dungeon Siege fans apparently very disappointed in this commenting on the youtube clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c-DMZGIPuQ). Wasn't Dungeon Siege really generic and .. not hardcore? Is it even possible to ruin that setting? I've been avoiding the series.

Arcanoix

Scholar
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I'm undecided. Is Obsidian trying themselves at an own engine good or bad news?

During my tour there I did get a look at DSIII and the engine is pretty good. I wasn't able to play mind you, but I did see the FPS and it was a LOT smoother than NWN2/KotorII, etc. HOWEVER - I'm pretty sure Feargus said there isn't going to be a toolset released for making mods, levels, etc. :decline:

butsomuch said:
[/quote]

Video has been butchered purposely and edited. :/ If this is what the Codex has come to, then it's obvious as to why devs don't post here.

denizsi

Arcane
Arcanoix said:
If this is what the Codex has come to, then it's obvious as to why devs don't post here.

Not this bullshit again. Devs don't post here because (other than not having the time or not having anything of worth to share with the crowd here) they have gone full retardo. They almost always stop posting immediately before they go full retardo. See DGaider and his latest herp-a-derpin for one of the most recent examples.

Tycn

Savant
Arcanoix said:
Video has been butchered purposely and edited.
How so? If you're talking about the artifacting it's quite obviously a fault of the youtube video.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Tycn said:
Arcanoix said:
Video has been butchered purposely and edited.
How so? If you're talking about the artifacting it's quite obviously a fault of the youtube video.

I figured it was purposely edited to kind of poke fun at framerates in the new engine because of past engines from Obsidian.

Also, DGaider doesn't represent "most developers". If so, that would indeed be sad. No offense to him, I just cry myself to sleep when thinking of Dragon Age and how it went from 'meh' to 'Oh My Fuck This Is Retarded Beyond Retardo'. See: Dragon Age II.

:love:

Wait Tycn, is that a fucking Sims 2 Ghost Bubble!!?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Suck my dick all. Co-op beat em ups are awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom