Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The music in KoDP is kinda... ear rape honestly.

Also what ages the most is story and events, at a point you know them all by heart.
Rather than music some of the game art is cringe and immersion breaking. The games art does not take itself too serious but things like duck people really makes me question myself why am I even playing this game.

While it did cause me to cringe the first time I later realized its coming from the setting.

Never the less the hardcore Donald Duck is, well, hard to stomach.

Hellion

Arcane
This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what beak performance looks like.

9f30d2545e0c2e879e26d7d5023f239b4e24607e.jpg

Silva

Arcane
Never thought I would say this, but here's a case where a design comitee would prove fruitful instead of letting the work 100% in the hands of the original author - those ducks would never see the light of the day if a big publisher got the (rpg) setting rights.

Sorry Mr. Stafford, but it must be said.

Endemic

Arcane
Actually I love that the game gives the ducks these punch-me faces. Almost like it's setting you up.

The duck that asks for a duel is essentially blessed by Humakt to kill the next person he fights, it's actually pretty tough to defeat him. You need someone pumped up from heroquests to have a chance.

oscar

Arcane
Adding the ducks to your tribe is pretty funny and a case of the devs thinking of everything.

Duck events (Other tribes)​

What the Duck?

Just because you like the ducks doesn't mean that others do... Or don't. Be prepared for some odd consequences at least.

• Tarred, Feathered, Billed: Some tribes like to make light of the Ducks. And more importantly of professed friends of the Ducks. So they tar, feeather and bill a member of your tribe. If you value your feathery friends then heavy-handed retaliation works like a charm and it makes some tribal events easier.
  • Cease and desist: Tribes who abhor Beastmen will oft demand you stop being so damn friendly with the Ducks. Threats, erh, reasons for considering their request include raiding, all out feud-wars or attempts to mock you at every turn.
  • Let's roast some fowl: Some tribes will invite you to raid the Duck's lands. This is not a good idea if you want them on your side.
  • Necromancer Ducks?: Sometimes a tribemate or member of another clan will warn you of the encroaching march and the undead it harbors. Invariably they blame the Ducks, who are (generally) innocent. See Champions needed also.
  • Clairvoiance of the feathered kind: Sometimes another clan in your tribe will receive a vision that Ducks make good trade partners or tribemates and will encourage you to have more to do with them.

Befriending the Ducks​

Those who wish to enjoy the Ducks' presence in the game need to know that there are a few things which can complicate your dreams of a feather-clad tribe.

• Ducks will not trade treasures in a regular fashion. They will only offer one of their treasures if they approach you for a trade or for admission into your tribe.
  • Getting Ducks into the tribe takes an epic amount of luck. The best bet you have is to have them approach you after another clan has had a favorable vision. Let either your most eloquent speaker or your trickster do the talking.
  • The Ducks think their variation of the Orlanthi religion is the correct one. Joining their rituals therefore has a large error margin therefore.

Heinrich

Scholar
So part 2 of this apparently comes out today. I expect it to be an excellent game, but a huge commercial failure. There is clearly an appetite for this kind of narrative management game, as we've seen with the recent successes of Suzerain and Yes, Your Grace. But locking yourself specifically into a six part series in an obscure setting seems like a terrible idea. Spiritual successor to KoDP is apparently also something you can do only once: I haven't seen anyone talk about this in ages. The corona delays can't have helped.

Terra

Cipher
Nice, might pick it up when it drops later today. Completely dropped off my radar and for some reason I hadn't already wishlisted it on Steam so thanks for the reminder.

Heinrich

Scholar
So far I'm enjoying myself greatly. It's basically more of the same, so if you liked the first one you'll like this one and reverse. I'd say it's more character focused than the first one. There is conflict between a royalist and a localist faction and a lot of it seems to play out between who your various leaders support. If there's one downside I've seen so far it's that at least for now it's even easier to get magic than previously. No bugs so far.

Silva

Arcane
How is the setting this time? More sinister and gloomy due to the era of darkness, more apocalyptic in a way?

Keep those first impressions coming, faggots.

Heinrich

Scholar
How is the setting this time? More sinister and gloomy due to the era of darkness, more apocalyptic in a way?

Keep those first impressions coming, faggots.
Definitely more apocalyptic. Chaos is literally eating the map turning it into inaccessible black. I have to deal with regular chaos infestations and just right now one of my allies terminated our trade agreement because 'lol Issaries is dead, what's the point' and then raided me when I tried to lean on him. These games are very similar to each other (KoDP, the first game and this), but they all have their own rythm and I'm pretty sure I haven't figured out this game's one yet. I'm obviously supposed to prepare for something but I'm kind of tapping in the dark as to what exactly I'm supposed to do. For example, I have these ruined temples of Orlanth and Ernalda in my Tula (since they're dead) but I'm not quite convinced they're doing much of anything, but they're still taking up shrine slots and require sacrifices.

Lagi

Savant
which one of this genre games (CYOA strategies or whatever narrative role play larping manager it is) is considered the best?
KoDP GoG version? Or is SixAges2 a better pick now? (i dont care about any plot line continuity)

Heinrich

Scholar
I would just start with the first Six Ages. It's more polished and beginner friendly than KoDP and contrary to the second one that just released there's guides already out there if you need them. You can also import your save from the first one.

Heinrich

Scholar
I'm still playing a few hours every evening. Still having a good time. I like that you are (at least seemingly) more encouraged to explore than in earlier games. So far I'm mostly trying to strengthen myself while putting out the fires until the end game whatever that's going to be. The reversal in gameplay when it comes to your old shrines slowly withering away in contrast to slowly building up in KoDP and the first game is interesting, but I'm not sure it's an improvement in terms of gameplay enjoyment. Dark season was always the time when you didn't have a lot to do comparatively and I feel like it's even more of an issue here. I'm also not sure what to do in terms of recovering the clan regalia.

Completed it during one sitting on the hardest diff, the food was a perpetual struggle, forcing you into foraging/hunting/restore pastures ventures about 80% of the game until you stack up sufficiently on spirits and other yield boosts, like from the wedding heroquest. I don't know what to make out of it, I like the story even though the end feels somewhat rushed , the gods suddenly getting offed really hits like nothing else. But the game is still a step back from Kodp in so many ways.

Silva

Arcane
It's death spiral the game. Very dark and desperate vibes. Even earth season which used to have happy music now has gloomy one as to remind there's no food around anymore.

Really liking it so far.

Silva

Arcane
Tip for those struggling with food: go with spirits. That seems the intended move anyway seeing as gods have vanished. Negotiating with spirits doesn't cost magic points and seems to rely solely on your shaman skill. And each successful help gives 2 seasons of food. If you have more than one spirit for food, which doesn't seem hard to find, you can alternate between them.

Silva

Arcane
I think I reached a game breaking bug. I can't perform the Ritual of Orlanth and Ernalda wedding and the screen says no other clan is helping me... when in fact I already convinced 4 clans to help me. WTF

Did someone else experienced this?

Terra

Cipher
Just finished my first run myself, things were teetering on the edge a bit toward the end, having to manage an imminent game over due to lack of horses and gods dying left and right. Then suddenly and imo pretty abruptly, the final battle/event happened, I navigated through it and that was that. Good game, that feeling of growing despair/hopelessness was pretty neat but at least the ending I got
Everyone died in a sudden Chaos Invades event except one person you choose, you navigate through a story event successfully with said person, kill Teghern then defeat the rest of the Chaos crew
felt pretty abrupt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom