Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sinder Velin quits TIL over TES4! (BREAKING NEWS)

Is this a PR disaster for Bethesda?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bryce777

Erudite
elander_ said:
The books writen by Ted Peterson, one of the fathers of the series, are usualy great quality. MK books in Morrowind are also good but they are hard to read and meant to be that way for people to decypher its message. There are very good books and very bad books in the library. Yes you are right it doesn't make the game but they are part of the world just like trees and treasure chests. They tell the history of the world. Some people only buy the game for the books or wait for them to apear in til. My opinion in the day Beth stops creating books for the series only the most retarted among the retarted will buy these games.

Well, with their whole attitude towards simplificationa nd dumbing things up, and down, ad all around, I am surprised anyone would be surprised they did not do much on this front.

sheek

Arbiter
Maybe I should say at this point that my original post was satire and that I agree with comments bryce has been (a bit crudely) making.

The guy learns that practically his whole life (managing a website is a time consuming task) has been built around studying and promoting a pile of horseshit. He breaks down. I think there's some sort of justice in that.

Stargazey

Novice
Personally, I like some of the books that came out of OB, though I do agree with Sinder that the subject material is getting shitty.

SV was a good guy, and I'll miss him. :/

elander_

Arbiter
sheek said:
The guy learns that practically his whole life (managing a website is a time consuming task) has been built around studying and promoting a pile of horseshit. He breaks down. I think there's some sort of justice in that.

If i know SV well he just used his work dead times :lol: He isn't the site manager. He just joined relatively recently. I will have to check exactly what is so disturbing in the lore to make him leave. I think he was just fedup with everything about Oblivion or he just got a new job.

golgotha

Liturgist
How is this bad for Beth? They already got a shit load of money off the kids that can't read anyhow. I don't see too many people visiting a site based around the TES literature, and if they do I don't see them as the type to have gotten themselves caught up in the hype machine.

Drakron

Arcane
Dwemer lore was much layout in Redguard, Morrowind build on it with a lot being from Daggerfall.

Morrowind had nice twists but you really need to dig it up from the Wiki system.

I think Oblivion new lore is about the "wild elves" (forgot the name) that ruled the area before the humans (slaves) revolted and kill then all (or almost all) so it might not be what people assumed to be and it can conflict with previous lore.

There is some stuff I found looking at the quests, like how the King of Worms is tied to the Mage Guild quest (and that is odd since he is a god since Morrowind decided all Daggerfall endings were true) that might piss off people but I cannot check it personaly.

I do understand him, I cut all ties with Forgotten Realms because I disagreed with the course the setting was heading and WotC policy of allowing the novels to take over setting advancement.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
bryce777 said:
You are a dumbfuck. Sorry. I say this because you have shown over and over you have no reasoning ability.

That's actually what I think about you - your "reasoning ability" is obviously exhausted in writing the most offensive nonsense you can come up with, which may be creative, but is not a sign of intellect.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Drakron said:
I think Oblivion new lore is about the "wild elves" (forgot the name) that ruled the area before the humans (slaves) revolted and kill then all (or almost all) so it might not be what people assumed to be and it can conflict with previous lore.

Seems to be quite alot about these akavir fellas aswell.

Drakron

Arcane
Well they DID ruled the "empire" at one point but there is also almost nothing about it beyond when they taken over and when they were removed.

bryce777

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
bryce777 said:
You are a dumbfuck. Sorry. I say this because you have shown over and over you have no reasoning ability.

That's actually what I think about you - your "reasoning ability" is obviously exhausted in writing the most offensive nonsense you can come up with, which may be creative, but is not a sign of intellect.

Case in point - you do not seem to understand what reasoning ability even means.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
If the guy thought Morrowind was a good game, I'd take his disappointment over Oblivion as an endorsement of it's superior quality if anything.

Calling the game a "pile of horseshit" is a stretch. There are an abundance of shittier game's one could purchase on the market right now--take Dungeon Lords for example. It's not an RPG, and it's certainly not even close to a 10/10 game, but it can provide some mild entertainment for your fifty bones if you're looking for an action-oriented, dungeon crawl/exploration style game. When you look at the absolutely drab, generic garbage that was Morrowind, it is an improvement too...though that's really not saying much.

Part of the problem is morons that set their expectations way too high in companies that either have an unproven track record, or a track record for making mediocre games. Take the fanboy hopefuls at the Big Blue Box forums when Fable was in development, who threw a hissy fit when they realized the revolutionary RPG they had been pining for ended up being a mere Zelda style action-adventure. I realized it all along, pointed it out a few times on their forums and incited a mob.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
bryce777 said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
bryce777 said:

Case in point - you do not seem to understand what reasoning ability even means.

Pretty poor comeback, bryce. I thought you at least know how to flame? Considering that you are incapable of looking at both sides of an argument that would be a very helpful skill for you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Youa re all fucking idiots. And, I became even dumber if it's even possible just by watsing time in this thread just like anytime anyone reads an Oblivion thread.

Damn the Oblivion Codex. I want the RPG Codex back!

WAAAAAAA!!!

WAAAAA!

WAAA

Tintin

Arbiter
bryce777 said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
bryce777 said:

Case in point, you are a moron (sorry, just wanted to jump on this hip new "avoid argument but sound cool" bandwagon)

bryce777

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
bryce777 said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
bryce777 said:

Pretty poor comeback, bryce. I thought you at least know how to flame? Considering that you are incapable of looking at both sides of an argument that would be a very helpful skill for you.

I'm not trying to flame. You started to cry because apparently I insulted the honor of oblivion. It is pretty fucking sad.

In order to look at both sides of an argument, you would have had to make an argument in the first place. If you ahd the fancy edumacation I do, you would realize you have just meaninglessly blathered, not laid down an argument using premises that imply a conclusion.

For example, if I were to try to attempt to prove you are an idiot I might say:

People with poor reasoning ability are idiots
GBG has shown poor reasoning ability on many occasions
Therefore he is an idiot

Not so cut and dried though, because I have not seen every instance of your behavior, and I do not know you are not being sarcastic or trolling or 'roleplaying'.

So, as you can see, an argument is much different than an ad hominem attack.

Now, if you mean my statement that oblivion plays like sonic the hedgehock crossed with the sims, I can tackle that too, though that was not an arument,a nd you made no counterargument to speak of. First, it is an analogy. You could easily say that "Oh, sonic has hedgehogs, motherfucker!", but that does not discount an analogy.

Sonic's gameplay is action and simplistic exploration. Combat in oblivion is very action oriented. The other side of oblivion is dressup dolly larp vomit, and the 'living world' of oblivion including wacky character interaction. Sound familiar? So, i think my analogy is very apt, and it was not only stupid of you to become outraged about it, but doubly so because it is not meant in the least as an insult.

Now, if you were to say that Oblivion is a cross between planescape torment and temple of elemental evil as a rebuttal,t hen you would obviously be completely full of shit. My only point is that for people who enjoy games like those two, it is a poor choice, unless they also like games liek the sims and sonic. Both of which are games I have played and enjoyed, actually, but NOT what I want in an RPG....

Tintin

Arbiter
Naked_Lunch said:
Oh Volourn, you're so witty!

NO HES SHITTY LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Just because you were too stupid to see how stupid his post was doesn't mean it wasn't.

No, I think it's just stupid not to realize that I know you were too stupid to see how stupid it is to think that I was being too stupid to see how stupid his post was.

Oops, I mean "Case in point, u suck lol i win"

Lumpy

Arcane
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
I agree with Lumpy, this is clearly a joke, SV is too serious to leave such a prestige lore site just because of a bad game, the part with the pregnant girlfriend is another thing, but leaving the library because of Oblivion is eh.... a bit stupid...
Huh? I never said anything like that. I don't think it's a joke.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It would seem that a lot of people are leaving the communities they belong to with a myriad of stupid and fake-sounding reasons to explain their departure.

Why can't these people just grow some balls and provide some real explanations?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom