Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Simon Parkin is a child murderer wannabe

spacemoose

Erudite
this is such a fucking non-issue

as long as the carebears have not banned it, who gives a shit whether there are kill-able children or not. mod them in if you want

spacemoose

Erudite
Unradscorpion said:
maybe banning these things isn't such a bad idea...
maybe you should move to the UK, they enjoy banning things. give it some time and you won't have to think for yourself at all - the government will do it for you, and absolve you of all inconvenient responsibilities

Chefe

Erudite
The Rambling Sage said:
From what i have understood after narrating and playing some pretty awfully bleak, degenerate P&P chronicles he has a point about the death of children, harmless girls in their early twenties, and whatever. Brutality, atrocity, and the like have the power to totally screw the expectations of the player when they either witness it or become an unwitting, accidental acomplices to the event. On the other hand, allowing the player to commit those on demand kills the reason to have them on the first place: While a staged, tightly scripted act of brutality and cruelty can be trying to make a statement, a random act of violence can't have meaningful consequences with current technology and design philosophies. The world is not going to react to it in any meaningful way: You either lose some Karma, or you get bounty hunters on your trail. Wow, free loot. Thanks for the caps and ammo, morons.

And did someone hijacked Chefe's account or did he really change that much of his attitude in the last few months?

Yep.

Writing American Hare has changed me. In working on the backstory to one of the characters than you could join up with I found myself a little moved. I'm a good guy player. I've always been a good guy player. I realized that with American Hare I wanted to punish evil players in not only game terms, but also in a real world manner. Good characters will have a true sense of altruism, they will feel good about how they've helped and progressed this fantasy world, sort of like the end of a good book where you wonder what the characters will be up to next. Crazy characters will have wild fun, suffer reasonable consequences, and hopefully find a ton of challenge in managing their split personalities and imaginary "friends". Bad characters will, I hope, take a second look at their own morals and how they play their RPGs. Evil characters will feel like hanging themselves.

I personally felt sick after blowing up Megaton and immediately reloaded after I capped Burke and Tenpenny out of spite.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I meant "nature", "gaia", "cosmos" or some other transcendent... shit, you know what I meant."

Child murderers. All of them.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Chefe said:
"Last night I blew the head from a homeless scavenger girl, one who was barely into her twenties."

This. You want to know why things are taken a step back these days? It's this. Our world is filled with more maniacs than ever before. How can you do something like that, let alone publish it in an article?

Why, what's wrong with it?

Chefe said:
People have no moral standards. You put killable children in the game and millions of idiots will kill the kids and post the VATS videos on YouTube.

Maybe if Beth took a page from Soldier of Fortune; VATS isn't exactly hot shite. And again, what's the problem?

Chefe said:
"Take away the freedom to commit atrocities within an open word game and you undermine the impact and power of the good, philanthropic choices a player makes."

Fuck you, Simon. Children the PC can't kill doesn't mean you cannot commit atrocities. Did everyone forget that you can blow up the entire fucking town of Megaton??

It was far too lulzy and detached to be considered an atrocity. Gutting a 4-year old in front of its' parents has a bigger kickback.

Chefe said:
I'm pretty sure the kids don't survive that. There's your goddamn killable children. Kids should always be immortal outside of cutscenes. Too much freedom can be a bad thing, and the freedom to kill children wherever and whenever you want is an example of that.

And I say, no killable children in cutscenes and no immortal npc's ever. Too much freedom can never be a bad thing, and the freedom to kill children wherever and whenever (have a group of kids in your backpack at all times) is an example of that. You want to know why? Because, that's why. :argument:

Chefe said:
By supporting Bioware you relinquish the right to form opinions about Good, Evil, and Choice. Sorry, I don't make the rules. If you have a problem, talk to God.

I bet he'd all be "BECUZ ITS WRONG AND SICK AND STUPID!!" too if I asked him why it's wrong to kill children, even fictional ones.

I think killable kids will make a comeback. Possibly even detour via rapeable kids. :cool:

Araanor

Liturgist
Volourn is going to mod in rape... so he can, erm, choose not to do it...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I don't own FO3.

RPGs are about chocies - both the good, and the bad. Being able to CHOOSE not to commit atrocities is what makes one good. Otherwise, you are just a robot.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Evil characters will feel like hanging themselves.

I personally felt sick after blowing up Megaton and immediately reloaded after I capped Burke and Tenpenny out of spite.

I'm pretty sure Chefe is master of satire. That post was a satire of "Jack Thompson mentality", and the American Hare blog is an elaborate satire/play on the fate of most indie projects.

The art of it is in the fact that... I am not 100% sure. Damn you Chefe.

denizsi

Arcane
I just decided that, a certain quest line in the main quest of the game I'm not making, will involve some children being raped and then chopped up, and some chopped and then the corpses raped, and as PC, you'll get to effect how many of them meet their fate, and whether by action, or inaction, just to spite the sensitive, to turn their stomach.

Keep on, this thread can only be inspiring.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
shihonage said:
Evil characters will feel like hanging themselves.

I'm pretty sure Chefe is master of satire. That post was a satire of "Jack Thompson mentality", and the American Hare blog is an elaborate satire/play on the fate of most indie projects.

The art of it is in the fact that... I am not 100% sure. Damn you Chefe.

Shhh, you're going to ruin it.

Morbe

Novice
Am I the only one who thinks it's sick to make a difference between killing children and adults, in video games and in the real world? If you kill a person, what difference does his/her age make? It's still a human life that's taken away. People who object child-killing are necessarily justifying adult-killing in a way.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
There is a difference. Children:

1. are considered as more likely to be innocent ones,
2. doesn't have a chance to defend themselves against player character,
3. "You have killed children, the youth of the wasteland. This is considered to be a really bad thing. You evil, evil person." - children are special in post-apocalyptic, desolated world because they are a sign of hope for building better future.

But it's not a difference that makes child-killing any more cruel than any other homicide, especially when first one isn't really based on facts about children and second one can be truth for both children and adults. It's a difference in how people react to child-killing and it only is a good reason for NPCs to hate character who has committed such an act, even if they're more used to violence than anybody living in more civilised area than post-apocalyptic USA..

uhjghvt

Scholar
actually fetishizing children and seeing them as innocent is a very recent cultural phenomenon and not only does it have no rational basis whatsoever it goes directly against christian religious teaching

tunguska

Liturgist
Shooting young children in the groin with a high caliber firearm is possible in real life. So why not make it possible in the game? Bethesda/Zenimax makes me sick. Total dickwads who only care about money. I'd like to mod the game to include nuking kindergartens and nursery schools and grammar schools and blowing up school buses with grenades. Little children are a lot of fun to slaughter. I could almost never make it through Fallout without a "child killer" tag. It's just sooo delicious and irresistible to blow them away. I'm one of the few who would actually like to do this in real life as well. But the point of a game is to live out a fantasy that you cannot in real life. Like killing hundreds of people is okay, but a single child? No way! That's sick! Give me a break. That Chefe dude is an idiot. He should try to join Bethesda. He'd fit right in. I'd like to shoot Pete Hines in the groin with an elephant gun more than anything. Those guys need to be put into the game as well. Also, you should be able to eat the blown off heads and other appendages, but that would earn you a "cannibal" tag. An RPG that doesn't allow you to be evil? WTF?!

mondblut

Arcane
Jim Cojones said:
1. are considered as more likely to be innocent ones,

Innocent in what?

2. doesn't have a chance to defend themselves against player character,

Neither do adults :D

...anyway, is there a mod to turn off children invulnerability already? Somebody gave me a copy of failure 3, and I ponder whether to take a look at it. But I refuse to touch a game where some characters are deliberately made raping the rules of the game for the sole reason of morality/ratings.

Heh, next time they'll make all niggers invulnerable, 'cuz those damn natzee bastards would certainly kill them off, and that would make our game branded as racist media.

Morbe

Novice
1. So killing innocent adults isn't a bad thing?
2. Neither do frail unarmed adults or the elderly
3. What good can the children do for a better future before they grow up to be adults?

And still, I fail to see why one life is more important than another.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
I don't want to kill chidlren in game. I want the choice to avoid doing so.

Volourn is correct. The point of having children being killable is that you can't just spam burst fire everywhere in public if you don't want to kill the kids. If they can't be harmed, then you can spam all you want. That was the point of it in the first two games. If you killed a child, there were consequences of it. If you were a good guy who cared about those consequences, then you took a degree of care in to your targeting and what mode of fire you were using to avoid hitting the children.

It has less to do with, "Letz kil teh kiddz! LAWL!" and more to do with, "Aw, shit! I can't burst the evil gang because that kid is in the way!"

Pastel

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
There was a heavy point in killing children in Den. Those bastards pickpocketed you every time you went past them.
That's silly. There should most definitely have been an option to slap the fuckers around a couple of times and take the rocket launcher they keep hidden in their pockets. Having to kill them to get your stuff back is absurd.

But, of course, there should be an option to kill children, if need be. Especially since, supposedly, there are some kids in Fallout 3 that block your entrance to some area unless you do some stupid quest for them.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can kick them in the leg once and they'll run away every time they see you from then on. No one in the Den cares, either.

Fenril

Scholar
Killing Children unprovoked, killing molerats unprovoked...killing WTFEVER unprovoked.

Is that EVIL? Well its certainly one type of evil, murdering psychopaths are not very nice, but I think evil gets a bit more elaborate and conscious than that.

Its all bullshit imo. Instead of Evil and Good in this types of RPGs the descriptions should be kill almost everything or kill almost everything that you are supposed to.

Mediocre crap alignment bullshit.

Kthx

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Pastel said:
Dark Individual said:
There was a heavy point in killing children in Den. Those bastards pickpocketed you every time you went past them.
That's silly. There should most definitely have been an option to slap the fuckers around a couple of times and take the rocket launcher they keep hidden in their pockets. Having to kill them to get your stuff back is absurd.

Fun thing to do. Empty out all your inventory except one bomb. Arm the bomb for five minutes. Walk around the kids in The Den until one pickpockets the bomb. Stand back. Watch the little snot go BOOOOOOM!

If I recall correctly, you don't even get a karma hit for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom