Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Storm's combat system(SSCS)vs Fallout's combat system

Little Donkey

Scholar
well, my friend told me SSCS as good as FCS, is he right? I dont play the game and i call him stupid ass when he said that...............

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
wat

Anyways, both systems have flaws in some ways, you could say Fallout is the more balanced of the two but generally not as fun.

Give everyone sniper rifles and snapshot your way out of a situation.

SS is definitely more in-depth though, and generally more fun to play.

Play Hammer & Sickle by the way, its without all the ridiculous nonsense of the gundam suits, and puts alot of focus on C&C and time. The best way to win the game is actually very hard and requires thinking way ahead of the game.

Gwendo

Augur
Re: Silent Storm's combat system(SSCS)vs Fallout's combat sy

Little Donkey said:
well, my friend told me SSCS as good as FCS, is he right? I dont play the game and i call him stupid ass when he said that...............

In Silent Storm, the enemies' turn could last forever. I remeber I've stopped playing Silent Storm in a level where my turn took about 40 seconds (I just wanted to get to a certain spot farway), and the enemies turn would last about 10 minutes (every enemy, even non visible ones, would move in each and every turn. I lost my patience.

But I hate real-time combat, so I guess we can only play SS, FO and JA.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Re: Silent Storm's combat system(SSCS)vs Fallout's combat sy

Gwendo said:
Little Donkey said:

In Silent Storm, the enemies' turn could last forever. I remeber I've stopped playing Silent Storm in a level where my turn took about 40 seconds (I just wanted to get to a certain spot farway), and the enemies turn would last about 10 minutes (every enemy, even non visible ones, would move in each and every turn. I lost my patience.

But I hate real-time combat, so I guess we can only play SS, FO and JA.
Lemme guess... The Switzerland factory level?

Anyway, the mission in Sentinels where you defend your HQ is one of the best battles in all video games. Last time I used the GIANT MINEFIELD OF DEATH approach and the results were epic.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Two different leagues of combat, SS is much more complex and better overall. The only thing that I would have against it is that it doesn't have the hex tile movement system so you know exactly where your character is going to end up.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Fallout has a very simple combat system that did a decent job back in 1997 but would be underwelming to play now compared to more modern turn based games like Hammer & Sickle and even Gears of War style third person shooters.

Destroid

Arcane
WTF why are you comparing a TB isometric rpg combat system to gears of war??

Anyway, FO combat system is pretty crap and simplistic but gets the job done mechanically. Where it shines is the amusing visuals and flavour text. If the combat system in FO beats the combat system from a turn based tactical game, it has some problems.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Combat in Fallout was simple back in 1997 compared to Xcom and Jagged alliance.

The same goes for the graphics really. People say that the combat and graphics of Fallout were good back in the 90's but are dated now. That is not true. Those features were mediocre in 1997, but the fix is not to make the game and FPS but to give it good turn based combat and good 3D isometric graphics.

@Wilco: JA2 and SS combat systems are very similar. I think the bigges real difference is that characters in SS gain selectable special abilities as they level up, which can have a huge effect on how they perform in combat.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wilco said:
How does JA2 and Silent Storm compare? Are they basically the same?

Basically, enemy turns take even longer in SS than in JA2. But generally, it feels a lot like a Second World War version of JA2, and has destructible terrain and generally looks pretty awesome.

Hammer and Sickle is even more awesome, it's basically like Silent Storm but has more RPG-elements and choice and consequence. HEAVAN.

Both SS and H&S were pleasant surprises for me and show that modern graphics and physics systems can be effectively combined with turnbased combat.

LCJr.

Erudite
Wilco said:
How does JA2 and Silent Storm compare? Are they basically the same?

Silent Storm has pretty graphics and a spiffy physics engine. The destructible terrain is way overdone but I think that was intentional and it can be entertaining. The panzerkleins you'll either love or hate. I've got the impression most people hate them. But other than looking purty it's pretty much inferior to JA2 IMHO. Besides the panzerkleins there's some other questionable design choices I could pick at but won't bother. For me the biggest flaw is that all the missions are "canned". A few of them have a minor random element but on the whole they are set in stone. Enemies and their placement don't change at all. Needless to say if you've got a good memory this cuts into the replay value.

The canned missions are also what bums me out about JA3 using the SS engine, if it ever gets finished that is. I absolutely hate canned missions.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
SS was pretty funny in that you could have people shoot smgs (or pistols) at close range, and if the game decided they should be missing they would spazz out all over the place shooting their outline, it was hilarious. Being able to snipe through floors if someone else could see the enemy was another good one, as well as going into real time mode in an empty area and running your people back and forth until their stats increased a bunch.

Destroid

Arcane
Fallout 1+2 have awesome graphics. They might not be technically very advanced, but they are used very effectively and the high quality art makes the game very visually appealing.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
LCJr. said:
The canned missions are also what bums me out about JA3 using the SS engine, if it ever gets finished that is. I absolutely hate canned missions.

i hope the levels/ maps won't appear as tiny as the ones in silent storm do. I mean the ranges at which you seemingly see and engage your opponents in SS seem just way too short.

canned missions are hopefully not engine limitations *crosses fingers*

Gwendo

Augur
I've recently started replaying SS, on the Axis side, and I've fallen in love again.

Great game.

Xard

Novice
retarted question, SS system is complex and one of the best combat systems out there.

Destructible enviroments <3<3<3<3

Fallout's one is ok, but nothing extraordinary.

Deacdo

Liturgist
I'd like to play H&S, but I can only find it on Amazon.com...and it is still $40 :|

I played hammer and sickle and thought the combat was a bit crap.

If you use a rifle and put all Action points into the shot you always hit. If you use any other type of gun you have about 5% chance to hit at the start of the game, very unbalanced.

ushdugery

Scholar
the fantasy wars demo is worth checking out if you like turn based strategy games with abilities and stats on your troops.

EDIT: also warlords 3 darklords rising is fun if much more simplistic and a bit more about larger combat strategies.

Gwendo

Augur
Slenkar said:
I played hammer and sickle and thought the combat was a bit crap.

If you use a rifle and put all Action points into the shot you always hit. If you use any other type of gun you have about 5% chance to hit at the start of the game, very unbalanced.

The only thing that is keeping me from buying H&S are the mediocre reviews about it's extremely unballanced combat system. Unfairly, frustatingly unballanced.

Are these exagerations from people that just don't dig TBS, or did Nival really mess it up with this game?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Deacdo said:
I'd like to play H&S, but I can only find it on Amazon.com...and it is still $40 :|

I got my copy on ebay for 1,99Euro +shipping....but failed the patience check ..and also got it from a garbage bin for 2,99..I ended up with 2 copies. Anyway the beginning is very promising, but i also managed to end the game just after the Prison... I'll certainly give it another go.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I have bought it and I would play it if it weren't for the DRM that comes with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom