Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Storm: Sentinels

potatojohn

Arcane
I liked H&S but I thought the time compression was kind of ridiculous. It's almost one minute per real second in tactical combat. There was no time to rest and reflect at all.

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There is an error if you are running a 64bit OS and have 4 gigs of ram or more, "Unsupported video card". Aside from being misleading there is very little information on forums or help sites about this error with newer computers.

Currently the best way to get around this error if you are running Vista or Windows 7 is do the following:

1. Click the start button and type "msconfig" in the run/search box.
2. Click on the "boot" tab.
3. Select the default boot setting (selected by default).
4. Click the "advanced options" button.
5. Check "maximum memory" and enter something below 4096. (3096 for example).
6. Click "ok" and click "ok" again.
7. Reboot your computer.

Please be aware this does affect your entire OS. When you are not playing Silent Storm go back and uncheck the "maximum memory" setting.

Haven't found any other way to make it work.
if that's your error.

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Have you tried the Large Address Aware tool? It's not just for NV and Skyrim, you know... or even just games.
I have tried it but couldn't get it to work for Silent Storm. Still suffers from the Unsupported video card error unless I do the "clumsy" solution above.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Oh, thanks Fafnir. I wanted to try H&S some time ago (I missed it at the time of release), but had some kind of error message. I think it was this one you are talking about. Might try again to see whether your solution works.

Modron

Arcane
These instructions work for silent storm, sentinels, and hammer and sickle as well so you wont have to fool around with boot options to run them on newer systems.

Open game.exe with a hex editor. Go to offset 0x9bae (or 39854). You should see this:
00009B90 00 FF D3 52 57 FF 15 38 22 8B 00 8B 45 A4 50 E8 ...RW..8"...E.P.
00009BA0 1C C4 3C 00 83 C4 04 E9 01 0D 00 00 3B C7 74 2E ..<.........;.t.
00009BB0 B9 F7 51 00 00 8D 75 A4 E8 53 FE FF FF 52 BA 6B ..Q...u..S...R.k

At position 0x9bae (39854 dec) there's the character 0x74. Change it to 0xEB. Save the file, done. The game should now work! The final executable should have a MD5SUM of 7883a81632fc707e3aa4a72072650a63.

From: http://www.johannes-bauer.com/software/silentstorm/

Bah you guys made me break my 10 years of lurking the dex; however, i do hate to see a good series go unappreciated.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is a better solution: open sickle.exe with a hex Editor and search for hex string "3B C7 74 2E", then change it to: "3B C7 EB 2E"

Hope this works for you.

Angthoron

Arcane
Brofists all around, now just to dig up my disks for all of 'em games.

potatojohn

Arcane
I have all three games working in Linux with wine without problems. It's funny to see you Wintendo fags have so many issues.

Modron

Arcane
I have all three games working in Linux with wine without problems. It's funny to see you Wintendo fags have so many issues.

It doesn't really have anything to do with windows, the games will not run if your system has more than 3 gigs of memory (w/o the aforementioned modification).

The games did not even come out that much before 64 bit operating systems became prevalent so it was a major oversight that I am surprised was never officially fixed given all the developers had to do was change one hex value. Must be another case of developer versus shitty publisher (here's looking at you jowood) and QA processes; still you would think Nival would be capable of releasing unofficial patches/exe's.

pipka

Savant
Q1: So which class is the most redundant (all skills covered by others)? I found that a sniper does everything a scout can.

Q2: Did anyone manage to run the editor on Win7 or Linux? Or you have to do a dual-boot/virt. machine winXP?

Angthoron

Arcane
Q1: So which class is the most redundant (all skills covered by others)? I found that a sniper does everything a scout can.

I've not tried myself, but a friend of mine more or less soloed the game as a scout with (almost) purely thrown weapons. Dunno if sniper can do that.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd say it is even easier with a sniper. With the right perks you can kill almost anything with one shot and stay hidden.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I've not tried myself, but a friend of mine more or less soloed the game as a scout with (almost) purely thrown weapons. Dunno if sniper can do that.
Sniper can't do that, but then again Sniper is the most overpowered class due to other reasons (hello auto-critical headshot from the other end of the map). Generally the rule is that you don't compare other classes to Sniper because Sniper is broken as fuck.

Otherwise the classes are decently balanced as far as I remember. Scout has tough noogies though, since sneaking and close combat (pistol-melee range) is much harder than just blowing shit up.

pipka

Savant
BTW, dudes who had "Unsupported video card" bug. Get modified d3d9.dll and drop it into game folder. And voila, no further tinkering required.

potatojohn

Arcane
Has anyone finished SS:S with a single character? There definitely seemed to be places in the game where you need at least two, like the timed bomb plot and the base defense.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's on the very first page you degenerate.

english-motherfucker-do-you-speak-it.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom