Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Storm: Sentinels

Paperclip

Liturgist
How long is it compared to its predecessor? Also is there any mod worth getting (I like PKs)?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Sorry for slight hijack, but didn't seem to be worth a thread of its own; just started playing the original (awesome game so far), are there any real must-have mods for it? I know about the PK removal one, probably won't use it. A widescreen one would be helpful.

Paperclip

Liturgist
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Sorry for slight hijack, but didn't seem to be worth a thread of its own; just started playing the original (awesome game so far), are there any real must-have mods for it? I know about the PK removal one, probably won't use it. A widescreen one would be helpful.

No problem, this thread has served its purpose anyway.

Yeah I installed that watchdog script too.

Speaking of S3, I find that I don't really like the added weapon durability feature because I become worrying too much about my weapons.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Systematically having everything repaired at base between each mission worked for me. In the rare instances when it wasn't enough, engineer could manage with the right tools.

The original SS without the SSS expansion screams for the FastMod. The animations get faster, halves the enemy turn. Look at StrategyCore.

Paperclip

Liturgist
@ Vazdru

Yeah I think it was introduced as a money sink to balance the game. BTW will your engineer be good enough at repairing so that it doesn't reduce the repaired weapon's max durability value?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Paperclip said:
BTW will your engineer be good enough at repairing so that it doesn't reduce the repaired weapon's max durability value?
No. It always reduces it, even at the base it removes 1 from the max. The engineer even with high skill and good tools removes more, but I didn't do it too much, so it was OK. Plus, weapon swapping, whether it be for a better weapon or the same weapon in better condition looted from an ennemy corpse, made it barely relevant anyway.

Paperclip

Liturgist
Lonely Vazdru said:
Plus, weapon swapping, whether it be for a better weapon or the same weapon in better condition looted from an ennemy corpse, made it barely relevant anyway.

Yeah but I like my weapons in tip top condition, especially those with sentimental value :roll:

Thanks for the answer BTW.

Norfleet

I found it baffling that an AK-47 degraded to worthless scrap over the course of a single battle. This is an AK-47! A gun that you can drop in the dirt and drag through the mud, bash a man's skull in with it, then pick it up and fire it, and IT WILL SHOOT. And in the game, it turned into unusable junk within the course of a single battle.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Norfleet said:
I found it baffling that an AK-47 degraded to worthless scrap over the course of a single battle.
It is baffling. You're sure it was in top condition at the start of the battle ?

Norfleet

Lonely Vazdru said:
It is baffling. You're sure it was in top condition at the start of the battle ?
Quite. I was alone, and so I shot an awful lot of people, though. By the time I had killed most of them, the thing was down to less than a third of its max health. This is an AK-47! The damn things are all but indestructible under any normal and many abnormal conditions! Shooting like 50 people to death should be nothing!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The very last robo-mech-thing in the final battle is giving me a software exception crash whenever I see it.

THE LAST FUCKING ENEMY IN THE GAME IS GIVING ME A FATAL CRASH THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE

Is this Russian humour at work?

edit: okay, won by a complicated arrangement (couldn't fit any PKs in the room since the other mechs were blocking the hall) that involved me killing it in one turn without it having a chance to react. Also, the high score table decided I was a cheater. I'm not. What?

Conclusion: Nival cannot into game climaxes

laclongquan

Arcane
Currently playing S2 original at the moment. Novik patch 152, which change a bit and add more encounter: meeting Horrigan (hohoho, russian humour at her best). 4 op are changed into 4 JA2 mercs: Spider? Roach (the drunk guy of MERCS) Ivan and one more guy. The only I got against that is L.A got changed with Spider. She got the best oneliner in tha game and Novik replace her.

On the subject of familiarity, S2's fami is to ONE particular piece of weapon, not a class. So the lack of durability doesnt hurt it.

No Sentinel female outfit, however. Dang!

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
The very last robo-mech-thing in the final battle is giving me a software exception crash whenever I see it.

THE LAST FUCKING ENEMY IN THE GAME IS GIVING ME A FATAL CRASH THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE

Is this Russian humour at work?

edit: okay, won by a complicated arrangement (couldn't fit any PKs in the room since the other mechs were blocking the hall) that involved me killing it in one turn without it having a chance to react. Also, the high score table decided I was a cheater. I'm not. What?

Conclusion: Nival cannot into game climaxes

I never had a problem like this.

As an aside, did you find the special sniper rifle from the random encounter? Breaks the game really.

Also, once you have finished Sentinels, the final test awaits: Hammer and Sickle. You enjoyed getting away with stopping a whole heap of bullets before? not anymore. And you will learn, the hard way, to act like a secret agent. Of course, you don't have to...but if you want to finish the game any other way than by starting WW3, you will learn.

Will just add that the commerical versions of SS, and perhaps the others too, contain Starforce. Don't forget to download your starforce removal tool for use after finishing the game.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Yeah, I only had it with that one enemy. Think his AI broke, he wouldn't move no matter what noise I made (was trying to lure him into a trap) and I don't think he fired on the few occasions he spotted me without a crash.

Is Hammer and Sickle definitely worth a go? Reviews were pretty bad - while I usually ignore scores and tend to find the "well, I was too dumb to like this, but if you really like good games you might get some fun out of it" area of scoring appealing more than anything else, the fact that it won several "worst game I've played this year" awards makes me slightly hesitant.

I'm good with higher damage/lower health, though, I generally prefer that approach to SS's walking tanks and multiple headshots.

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Yeah, I only had it with that one enemy. Think his AI broke, he wouldn't move no matter what noise I made (was trying to lure him into a trap) and I don't think he fired on the few occasions he spotted me without a crash.

Is Hammer and Sickle definitely worth a go? Reviews were pretty bad - while I usually ignore scores and tend to find the "well, I was too dumb to like this, but if you really like good games you might get some fun out of it" area of scoring appealing more than anything else, the fact that it won several "worst game I've played this year" awards makes me slightly hesitant.

I'm good with higher damage/lower health, though, I generally prefer that approach to SS's walking tanks and multiple headshots.

Yes, yes it is. Forget the reviews. Just forget them. If you enjoyed SS, then Hammer and Sickle is another one for you to enjoy. It is a LOT harder though, and you will need to think hard both inside and outside of battles. Let me know if you need any help with this game, but feel free to stuff up a little. The WW3 ending is fun the first time.

I will add another thing I noticed after playing Hammer and Sickle...I couldn't play SS again for a long time. I wanted to rip through the campaign again and experience some more brilliant battles, but Hammer and Sickle had spoiled me, and the weakness of the weapons in SS made me uninstall almost immediately. Had to wait for over a year before I could shake the feeling off and fire SS up again.

If only they made more Hammer and Sickles...If only. I had a great time with it, so ignore the reviewers (probably the same people that gave Oblivion Game Of The Year awards) and buy it. You will probably pick it up for a couple of quid these days.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, neither this nor it's predecessor ever popped in digital distribution. What's with jewwood not putting it in Steam?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Man, I love the mission where you defend the Sentinel Base. I always had a separate save for it so I could replay it. It was so much fun setting up an elaborate network of mines and bombs followed by having Nessie (gotta have a black dude in the squad with this kind of stuff) lobbing Light Mortars from his PK to somewhere around where shit exploded recently. One thing that really set Sentinels above the original was that it really improved the PKs so they no longer were "oh ffs" element to the gameplay (you could finally kill them on foot without lazorz, and they weren't barely mobile indestructible things anymore).

Angthoron

Arcane
So, neither this nor it's predecessor ever popped in digital distribution. What's with jewwood not putting it in Steam?
Or GOG at least. I've been hoping they'd end up on GOG with improved compatibility, but tough luck so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom