Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Silent Storm heralded by CGNO

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Silent Storm

Yup, another <A href="http://www.cgno.com/reviews/357.html">postive review</a> for <a href="http://www.nival.com/eng/s2_info.html">Silent Storm</a>. The game gets high marks in every area but audio, which seems to be a central theme in what others have said about it thus far. Here's a bit of the love:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>From the various types of objectives to having the freedom to choose different ways to complete the mission, Silent Storm really delivers. This title provides an alternative gaming style to those of us fed up with the whole mindless blood and gore in the average everyday PC game. Silent Storm requires the user to use his mind more than his highly sensitive reflexes, which has both its ups and downs. There is no multiplayer mode so that obviously creates a big dent in SS’s longevity on the gaming shelf, but the campaign missions are so in depth that they compensate nicely.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I'm not too happy with the average PC games these days either.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gengamers.com">GenGamers</A>

triCritical

Erudite
undead dolphin hacker said:
Though SS isn't exactly an RPG, it still comes highly recommended from me. Quite a good game, really.

Well it has more combined stats, abilities and perks then most action oriented RPG's. And unlike most action oriented RPG's the stats determine just about everything you're character can do.

While there are no ROELPLAYINGE decisions to make so to speak, as well as not too much dialogue, I would not dismiss this as a non-roleplaying game. It all boils down to what kind of game you like. If you want a roleplaying game that emphasizes in good combat, then this is your game. Same with ToEE. However, if you want a Final Fantasy type game, then go with whatever tripe Bioware is putting out that month. If you want a roleplaying game ala Fallout, or Arcanum then you're just fucked!

EEVIAC

Erudite
There's three bits of advice I'd offer to Nival for their next release (after Sentinels) :

- include a dialogue system.

- don't use a "historical war" setting.

- try to steal Sir Tech's audio guys.

Greenskin13

Erudite
I like the historical war setting. X-Com nailed the Sci-Fi, JA2 had the modern, so I think it's fitting that SS dominate WWII.

triCritical

Erudite
I think the voice acting is pretty good. Furthermore, why do you need more dialogue? It just would not fit in this kind of game. And I agree with Greenskin, the fictional war setting makes it different, instead of JA2 with better graphics and a physics engine.

Silent Storm is easily my favorite big budget game in probably over a year. But then again I am critical over a games combat. Hence, why I hate Bioware games, they have a lot of combat and it sucks!

EEVIAC

Erudite
triCritical said:
I think the voice acting is pretty good.

But not as good as Sir Tech voices, admit it. There's hardly a voice in SS that's as good as Sparkle, let alone Grunty.

Furthermore, why do you need more dialogue?

Maybe because sometimes I like talking to NPC's instead of killing them? Sometimes I like to talk before killing them, and sometimes I like to talk after killing them (thank you Arcanum.) It adds variety. I did say "next release after Sentinels" - I'm just thinking of evolution beyond WW2.

triCritical

Erudite
EEVIAC said:
Furthermore, why do you need more dialogue?

Maybe because sometimes I like talking to NPC's instead of killing them? Sometimes I like to talk before killing them, and sometimes I like to talk after killing them (thank you Arcanum.) It adds variety. I did say "next release after Sentinels" - I'm just thinking of evolution beyond WW2.

Talk about quoting out of context.

Furthermore, why do you need more dialogue? It just would not fit in this kind of game.

The way you have it written makes the assumption that I believe all CRPG's should have very little dialogue. Anyhow, I don't see how more dialouge would have been better. Perhaps instead of giving you secret documents they could have designed the essential information to come from certain characters. But depeding on the way you play, you might have iced all those characters.

The point is that this game is a combat simulation, not a moral proving ground that explores society in a steam-punk world. They are different games. Not all games should be clones of each other. On the other hand if a game does have a lot of dialogue such as MW, or ToEE and it sucks, then I would suggest that it gets improved. Not in SS, however.

EEVIAC

Erudite
I should clarify what I meant, and perhaps offer some suggestions for speech skills.

Perhaps instead of giving you secret documents they could have designed the essential information to come from certain characters. But depeding on the way you play, you might have iced all those characters.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Instead of just finding documents, have them held by an enemy. If you kill them you can still get the documents, but there's also more diplomatic options. (I'm not talking about a dialogue system like Arcanum or Fallout.)

Case in point : your entire team is trying to mop up the last Allied soldier bunkered in a house at the northern end of the map - imagine yourself as that soldier. There's a soldier on the corner with a Browning waiting to duck out, another at the front door. The sniper has her sights at the window and you hear a thud in the backroom, which you asume is the scout, looking for a silent kill. You can do what that soldier does in the game, wait to take your killing. Or you can throw your weapon out the window and yell surrender.

A basic, rudimentary dialogue system would be usefull in this situation. Being able to reason and negotiate (even to just convince the guy he can go free, then blast him when he comes out the door.) I'm not talking about a dialogue system for dumb things like asking townsfolk if they have any laundry you can pick up for them, for totally worthless experience.

Maybe you thought I was trying to bust your chops with the "quote out of context." I wasn't, (well I was, but not in a malicious way.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom