Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Siege of Avalon?

Jed

Cipher
Anyone ever play it? If so, what's the verdict: worth valuable time, or better off staying away? Also, I'm really happy with the picks of 2002, and I realize many might not be interested, but how about picks of 2001? Perhaps there's a gem I missed...

Jed

Michael_Wolf

Educated
I think it was a nice game. But you must not be afraid to read VERY long descriptions and dialogs. The maker of SoA call their game "interactive novel", when I am not mistaken. The graphics are ok, sounds and music not up to today's standards but ok.
The story and setting are very atmospheric. I haven't played all the episodes but I think it could be an interesting game. Perhaps you should download the free first episode first, before buying it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I tried it a while ago, when it first came out. I didn't really like it much, but I can't remember why I didn't like it. I may download it again to refresh my memory, maybe give it another go.

Jed

Cipher
I actually tried the first episode about a year or so ago, but I didn't really get very far into it. I think I starting playing Wizardry 8 or some other game and forgot about it until the other day.

I'm all for long descriptions and dialogue, though. What I'm curious about is the combat...

J

DrattedTin

Liturgist
I bought all the episodes way back when, so I know what its like.

Basically, the first episode is the most bland, and is still pretty damn interesting.

I loved Siege's authentic feel... and yes, there's lots of reading, but it's good reading.

Combat? It's similar to Diablo, but doesn't play even nearly as large a role. Of course, if you want to blow the hell out of some asha'oul (sp? been way too long) you can.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Well, opinions do differ, but...

By authentic I meant it truly feels like a castle under siege (especially in the later episodes).

The later episodes have you exiting from the keep to spy on the army outside the keep's walls, travelling to distant landscapes, exploring the Ether, and generally saving the fortress from the barbaric hordes.

The episodes have a different feel; 3 of them were designed for different character 'types', though they can be played easily enough by any character. The 'Mage' one, for example, has you travelling to a sort of hub plane, and then branching out into more desolate areas, on a quest to retrieve the mind of a possessed Queen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom