Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware side scrolling / beat ‘em up / run and gun type of games?

kaizoku

Arcane
Any recommendations?

I know there a few of these games in the works, funded through KS, but none of them has seen the light of day yet.
Mercenary Kings is close though. Beta access is on for those who backed.

Destroid

Arcane
King Arthur's Gold.

(these are all animated, if they don't work right open them in a new window)
9Ye-MAjRxzDztWjgBtkRi58J_9Cy6ImrYy0kK3tjI6HLQm_xtMh6xBvlJtiQb1PYqjywpCAKe_NNxlnPXBMVRK4U1sakwnmNvJB5RdiAqBXD4OvlH6URk-ss

MkXSgE_vGru70um7bSHmtaP7C0VlEs19kr8tyQMCz_xbBXUYFNDufquepCdr4akyKWm5g-TlqtUbDKq81dUFn7hAIePOyue2dkzNVrs03KK7Gf5q9LvZhJor

H8ifczmqNo_vFwKb981t2gzfeCfsl5tS1HQHxuTTYxKyUIUZI8A7C2Ny-gK0F1wzGzTSLOvSzwmj4ccN_isexTA0ue55-YiU8mSi1biPrd_oHNZ6jPQj1K0x

The Punisher

This, not another beat'em up comes close to Capcom's masterpiece, the variety of weapons is outstanding, there are knives, gaspipes, baseball bats, hammers, Uzi's, M16's, chairs, desks ,tires, lances, axes, flowerpots, shurikens, explosive heads and much more, the same with moves: after grabing enemy u can jump'n'throw him, punch him, punch, stab him, do the 'fan' special move... even environment is highly destroyable, controls are fluent and precise, just so FUKKIN PERFECT and the game is really fair - easy to play, hard to master. It's possible to finish game on 1coin-challenge and that's the proper way the Punisher should be played.

Cadillacs'n'Dinosaurs is easily the second best b.e.u, far from P. quality but at least much longer.

Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero is forgotten mix of early MK and Prince of Persia games (with a little RPG touch, you gain exp. for killing people and doing combos, there's even C&C), IMHO one of the most underrated PSX / N64 titles, PS port is better coz of cutscenes with bad (so-bad-it's-avesum) voice-acting

Classic_Sub-Zero_%26_Sareena_vs._Quan_Chi.jpg

stage6-20.jpg
stage8-17.jpg

Die Hard Arcade (Saturn / MAME), too short and ugly but extremely dynamic and satysfying, exluding QTE's (yes, in '96!). BTW it's only good game of the whole franchise :/

748ac2829e.jpg

God Hand on PS2 (need more to say?)

Instead of mentiong tons of japanese stuff worth playing I'd rather recommend two pretty cool potato products:

Franko: The Crazy Revenge, cool setting (the beginning of capitalism in Poland), bloody and gory, with such bad ass enemies like hookers, hool's, commie-cops, Hitler (!), punk rock exhibionists, skates, metalheads etc. LOTS OF FUN but only with glorios PC port. The Amiga one has crippled one-button controls (fuck this retarded joystick enslavement of Amiga users since the dawn of time) and strange colour palette which makes mobs look like they have a jaundice.

franko-the-crazy-revenge_8.png

Doman: Grzechy Ardana (Doman: Sins of the Ardan) - Franko's spiritual successor, not as gut as his old pro but still enjoyable, Amiga exlusive. Coolest feature? U can decapitate people with sword, sweeeeet.

doman2.png
images

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Have you played Metal Slug? If not, go play it, best arcade sidescrolling "run and gun".

edit:

Franko: The Crazy Revenge
Kind of shitty gameplay compared to the hits from the arcades. This game is fun only when you are living in 1990's Poland.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Black Tiger/Dragon for sidescroller and Schock Troppers/Metal Slug series for Run and Gun.

A user named cat

Magic Sword or Alien vs Predator for MAME. Then of course Streets of Rage series or Final Fight (Sega CD version has awesomely cheesy 90's soundtrack). If you want PC only, then Streets of Rage remake (not sure if it was finished).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If you like platformer with combat ala Flashback, check out Deadlight.
Love the smooth animations and atmosphere.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Guardian Heroes was the best beat'em up ever. Alas, it is for a dead, poorly emulated console (the saturn.) But it had 5 main playable characters that play radically differently, had a level up/stats system, branching paths and multiple endings. Also it had a vs mode that let you play as anything you've encountered in the normal game, including all the awesome fucking bosses and the useless shit like civilians or mooks that have like 1 lame ass attack.

A user named cat

What's wrong with SSF? I've used it plenty and it works fine along with Daemon Tools, even less glitchy than N64 emulators now. I played a bit of Guardian Heroes on it and encounters no bugs or crashes.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What's wrong with SSF? I've used it plenty and it works fine along with Daemon Tools, even less glitchy than N64 emulators now. I played a bit of Guardian Heroes on it and encounters no bugs or crashes.
SSF.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This is without even opening the window entirely mind you. There's no menu at the top, just a squashed bar, and nothing below it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The codex: still stuck in 1989 even for genres that don't deserve it.

A user named cat

SSF.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This is without even opening the window entirely mind you. There's no menu at the top, just a squashed bar, and nothing below it.
Alright furry Hitler, try my version then. I even finished Castlevania: Rondo of Blood through this. So if it still crashes before you even get to open the window, then it must be some compatibility problem. Either that or delete SSF.ini in case my settings may cause a crash, hopefully it recreates the ini.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7004074/SSF Saturn.zip

A few obvious things to note:
My controls are set up to use a 360 controller for Windows so you'll probably need to change those. Yeah yeah, I got it for free and it works.
You'll also want to go up into options and set the CD drive to whatever you want to use.
Alt+enter fullscreen, derp. I usually run SSF through a frontend that goes auto-fullscreen though.

Edit: here's Guardian Heroes in action through SSF (with sidebars cropped).

GV3Aa5R.png

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Alien Shooter series. Finished AS2:Reloaded yesterday and liked it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom