Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Sid Meiers Starships

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Let's find out why turn-based is a superior life form.

Everyone with IQ above 90 knows that.

Marobug

Interesting video. Still it doesn't change my mind, this game will be one massive bucket of shit. One that will make beyond earth seem like a ok game.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Sid Meier interview: 'Learning is part of any good video game' The Civilization creator talks about galactic exploration, childhood inspirations, why he’s happy to avoid freemium – and dinosaurs

He says the only reason Firaxis made Starships for the iPad was that tablet technology has reached the point where he could make the same game with no compromises: it uses the same engine, the graphics are “almost” identical, and the game is well-suited to touchscreen controls.

we want to reassure all our players that we’ve not abandoned the PC.

“There’s a bit of fear that we’ll abandon the PC and move from this platform to that platform, but PC remains our core platform. It’s where our fans tend to play our games. There are several times when people have been predicting that the PC is on its last legs, but it’s a great gaming platform.”

Taking Starships to iPad doesn’t mean ditching PC-style pricing, either: it will be $14.99 on all platforms. That means no freemium model, timers, pay-gates, or virtual gems being sold to rocket-charge your fleet’s progress.

“We want to emphasise that there are no micro-transactions: none of that in the game,” he says. “It’s a single price, and you get he whole game for that.” He talks about the “concern and suspicion” around badly-implemented freemium mechanics in mobile games, as well as Apple’s recent ‘Pay Once and Play’ promotion of non-freemium games.

“That model works very well for us. We can focus on making the best game that we can, rather than trying to figure out the whole paywalls and all the other aspects you have to stick in there. We’re happy to make games that don’t include microtransactions,” says Meier.

Last edited:

Gozma

Arcane
I feel like I've tried to watch 4-5 previews of this and it's always Sid Meier yakking about general game design bullshit and not saying anything that would make me interested in this specific game. I hardly even know what genre it is besides it being a hexturn

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Released!

From metacritic snippets:

"If you normally struggle with the multiple complexities of a 4x strategy game, Starships is a great introduction to the genre."
"Sid Meier's Starships is a light strategy games imagined for the tablet gamers audience. It's a good game, but not a memorable one."
:dead:

Sounds like something that desperatly fills my filthy casual need of playing something when commuting to work. At least they priced it at 14,99 ,being honest about what the game is.

m_s0

Arcane
is there a joeless version? He makes me want to punch the monitor.
He basically concludes that Starships is shit because you can't rename stuff.

Also, if you understand the mechanics it's more fun to play than if you don't. Apparently. Watch the video, guys, it's totally worth it for the brilliant insight.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So i'm playing it and it is similar to 'the last federation', the combat is better and it feels that it will take longer to finish than 2 hours like it did with TLF, so if you liked TLF you will probably like this also.
Oh and unlike TLF you actualy play the game and not watch AI play most of the time.

Executr

Cipher
So this was taken from a comment on the Steam forums:
No full screen (windowed full screen is NOT full screen, taskbar hidden or not)
No re-map of keybindings
No scrolling map with mouse on side of screen
No ADSW scrolling
No resolution changing
Can't edit movement speed of units
Can't edit combat animations

Is it really true, Makabb?

Also, many are saying they're having lots of crashes and that you can choose your game victory condition, but it only applies to you while the AI has all the victory conditions available... ffs.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So this was taken from a comment on the Steam forums:
No full screen (windowed full screen is NOT full screen, taskbar hidden or not)
No re-map of keybindings
No scrolling map with mouse on side of screen
No ADSW scrolling
No resolution changing
Can't edit movement speed of units
Can't edit combat animations

Is it really true, Makabb?

Also, many are saying they're having lots of crashes and that you can choose your game victory condition, but it only applies to you while the AI has all the victory conditions available... ffs.

I pirated it just to see what it was about, horrible piece of crap ipad game. It doesnt even have full screen or mouse scrolling for gods sake.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Apparently there is mouse scrolling, need to use left mouse button.

But this doesn't even have fullscreen or exit button in the main menu.. Whoever says this was "simultaneously developed for PC" needs to eat a truckload of dick. It is a ported tablet game, nothing more, nothing less.

Game in itself is mildly amusing, but has no lasting appeal or really, anything. It is a very definition of a "meh" game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At the $15 pricepoint it's obvious this is similar to the WWI airplane game he put out. Mildly entertaining for a bit but nothing you'd want outside of a bundle.

Drakron

Arcane
At the $15 pricepoint it's obvious this is similar to the WWI airplane game he put out. Mildly entertaining for a bit but nothing you'd want outside of a bundle.

And the bundle is with Beyond Crap so ....

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, I meant in some kind of Humble Bundle. They sold the WWI airplane game for $1.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No mouse scrolling? press the left mouse button for christ sake :lol: , wow

exit button in the main menu

yes there is

Like it said it's for those that like the last federation by arcen, the price was also same.

Norfleet

Verdict: Pretty shovelware. Playing on the largest map is still a game that ends in about an hour or two, taking it slowly. Just build a super-ship and roll some face. So what if they think you only have a 20% chance of surviving the fight?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
super ship? get stealth + shotguns. + the fun wonder that makes you always in stealth, no need to activate.
For bonus lulz stealth torpedos.

Stealth is so broken in this game :D

DraQ

Arcane
Released!

From metacritic snippets:

"If you normally struggle with the multiple complexities of a 4x strategy game, Starships is a great introduction to the genre."
"Sid Meier's Starships is a light strategy games imagined for the tablet gamers audience. It's a good game, but not a memorable one."
:dead:
Sounds a bit like that Fallen Haven game I played back on p133.
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom