Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Management / Sim Sid Meier's Sim Golf (Impossibru Difficulty)

TheFjordFox

Novice
Anyone else got to play this game back in the days when it was new and fresh? In ye olde days of 2002? :)
For me personally, it's a game I like to come back to every now and then and just chillax with some digital golfing mixed with the the sims universe.

Never gets old for me, tho it does get tedious when your course gets to a certain point! :P

If I'm not mistaken, this should be abandonware by now. I have at least seen discussions of it where it has been linked to as such.
Pro tip to get it to work properly - I fiddled around a bit with it, well, a damn lot, actually... and finally I managed to make it work properly (somewhat, in a 800x600 window in the middle of my screen, but other than that all good) - it seems the trick is to run it in Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode, and "run as administrator" ticked on. There may or may not be other steps, but this worked for me on Windows 10!

I'm currently doing a playthrough of if on youtube, if anyone wants to follow along! Going through it on Impossible difficulty until I got 18 holes and a damn nice course, or the game eventually breaks down on me and spirals into an unrecoverable domino-effect of horrendousness, as it might, due to the difficulty level and certain game-mechanics.

Not much more to it than simple relaxed sim gaming, really! Hope it will be of some value to at least one other person out there!

kangaxx

Arbiter
What a great game this was... cannot find it anywhere for the life of me though.

The next best thing is Golftopia, in case you haven't heard of it. Highly recommended.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I always wanted to play this, since Sid Meier and Sim games were two of my favorite things growing up, unfortunately when I got around to playing it, I got the worst glitch where the whole game would turn funny colors. Sigh...
What a great game this was... cannot find it anywhere for the life of me though.
Really? You can probably pick up the game really cheap on Ebay, assuming you're talking about legitimately. I hope you're talking about legitimately, because it really is everywhere on the internet.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Talking legitimately. You have a point about ebay: when I last checked it I didn't have a CD drive rendering it a bit pointless. Now I have one again I may revisit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm currently doing a playthrough of if on youtube, if anyone wants to follow along! Going through it on Impossible difficulty until I got 18 holes and a damn nice course, or the game eventually breaks down on me and spirals into an unrecoverable domino-effect of horrendousness, as it might, due to the difficulty level and certain game-mechanics.
Hey, man.
You might want to turn that mic volume up a notch.
Even on 100% volume on YT (I usually set it to 70-80%), I find that your voice is a bit silent, definitely more silent than voices of other people on YouTube.

The game as well, but it might just be a pretty silent game.
It's golf, after all... then again, someone remember that kick-ass Sega Bass Fishing soundtrack? :lol:

TheFjordFox

Novice
thesheeep - you're absolutely right! I just got a new laptop, and listening to one of my videos on that, still struggling to hear myself at 600% volume... I realize that I need to not render my videos out so quietly xD But thanks for confirming that for me! I will definitely not go ASMR mode like that in the future.

Morpheus Kitami - I had the same issue with the game, but if you check my initial post here, what I wrote there might help with that issue! And if it doesn't, something that I think did help with it for me as well was running my desktop in the game's native resolution (800x600) before running it. That or what I wrote initially should work, it at least did for me, so worth giving it a shot if you wanna enjoy some relaxed golfing and other goodness! :)

TheFjordFox

Novice
kangaxx - Oh! I have indeed heard of it! :) It looks pretty damn amazing, but I'm kinda steering away from it for a while, to artificially create the sense I had for games as a kid in the 90s, when you couldn't just play anything as soon as the internet speed allows for you to download it. I'm building up anticipation for this one, I want that good old feeling when I finally can play a game I've been wanting to play for ages :)

Sorry for spam/bump, I wanted to edit my previous post, but it's been a few hours since I wrote it, so that's a no-go

Viata

Arcane
Holy shit, this game looks great as fuck. I have no idea how come I have never heard about this before. It reminds me those Tycoon games(Transport, RollerCoaster and Zoo, not those shit tycoon games that looks like mobile games).

TheFjordFox

Novice
Yeah, it's definitely a gem! I have no idea how many hours I've wasted on this over the years, but it's been many! I keep coming back to it every now and then. It's casual, but you can be hardcore with it too, and either way it's good fun for a few hours per sitting! :)

If you haven't tried it yet, although it is a bit dated by now - it's a dang classic, and I'd absolutely recommend you give it a go if you're so inclined!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom