Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

should i play arcanum

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hollywood: Do not listen to this man

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Trolling Arcanum at the Codex. These things were not done in the past :obviously:

Turjan

Arcane
I'm not wearing any rose-tinted glasses of RPGs long gone regarding Arcanum. I played the game for the first time last year, and I found it very enjoyable. Not sure how much the unofficial patch had to do with it. Highly recommended, despite the somewhat ugly looks. I think the strongest complaint I would field against it has to be the convoluted inventory management.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
but why ugly looks? i love arcanum's art. the hell is wrong with you people?

visions

Arcane

I think some things in Arcanum look quite good but it does look quite flat and somewhat ugly at times as well.

Example of quite good would be Quintarra, example of quite bad would be the ugly forest "walls" that look very artificial.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

I think some things in Arcanum look quite good but it does look quite flat and somewhat ugly at times as well.

Example of quite good would be Quintarra, example of quite bad would be the ugly forest "walls" that look very artificial.

Fair enough, fair enough, the palette was sometimes lacking and now that you remind me of those walls, yes, they did look quite shitty, but to the point of people saying “I tried to play this game and it looked like shit so I couldn’t” seems excessive. I loved Tarant, many wilderness areas and the overall feeling of the world, the cities, even the shitty ones, vedigroth and the northern snowy areas, etc… even if I hadn’t played the game before and only tried it today for the first time, I don’t think the graphics would put me off THAT much tbh…

Harold

Arcane
To think Drog could invest all this energy into a mod that rebalanced the combat system... And i mean everything from spells to weapons to stats. Why don't you make it happen, Drog Hollywood?

Turjan

Arcane
Fair enough, fair enough, the palette was sometimes lacking and now that you remind me of those walls, yes, they did look quite shitty, but to the point of people saying “I tried to play this game and it looked like shit so I couldn’t” seems excessive.
Who is excessive now? Your answer was to my post, where I mentioned ugly looks, and I characterized the game as "very enjoyable" in the same post. I liked and finished it.

The problem is that, for me, the starting area can be counted as ugly. Which is a bit of a problem for reviewers who only play 5 minutes.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ARCANUM BEST RPG EVA

Odd. I read the first post and figured that's where I got the phrase from, but I have some older.
3ht7L.jpg

And it's still true.

Kukulkan

Learned
I like Arcanum. I like the quests. I like the size of Tarant. I like the setting. Yadayada. This game is like some sort of Catcher in the Rye here. It gets so much hate and so many complaints that I seriously wonder why the game is considered some sort of universally beloved classic in the Codex by detractors. What I also don't get is how such a massive fan like Drog would create alt upon alt upon alt attacking this game after being criticized by VD.

attackfighter

Magister
the character models are ugly, but everything else looks good, or at the least passable

also I started replaying this game... and let me say that the combat is nowhere near as bad as the some of the combat systems the Codex praises. after attempting to replay DA:O, Arcanum's combat is a breath of fresh air - so if DA:O is considered "excellent" by Codex standards then Acanum should be considered Godly.

Misconnected

Savant
the character models are ugly, but everything else looks good, or at the least passable

also I started replaying this game... and let me say that the combat is nowhere near as bad as the some of the combat systems the Codex praises. after attempting to replay DA:O, Arcanum's combat is a breath of fresh air - so if DA:O is considered "excellent" by Codex standards then Acanum should be considered Godly.

Somehow the graphics were scaled to be a visual sort of soporific. There's rarely anything visually catching on screen at the game's original resolution. But apply the high resolution mod and double the res or more, and that changes drastically.

As for the combat... DA:O had several problems, but by far the most serious - in my opinion - was endlessly repetitive and utterly braindead combat encounter composition. Arcanum is at least as bad in that area, and worse in most others. For example, half the combat in the game can basically play itself while you go make a cup of tea, if your character and/or party build isn't complete shite. At least DA:O required you to do something. Hell, PS:T has better combat than Arcanum 90% of the time.

The really great thing about Arcanum is how it isn't just extremely open-ended in a much more genuine fashion than the term is usually employed. It's also more open-beginned, for lack of a better word. How you approach/initiate stuff often matters.

And then there's the highly original - in video game land - setting, and the humour. In a lot of ways, it's Fallout 3 with a different skin and piss poor combat. Not that it's all great. Everything from quest text and design to setting design and humour occasionally stray into painfully stupid land. Running around like an idiot reconciling a couple of elderly farts, for example, wasn't exactly one of the high points of CRPG quest design or flavour. Indeed, you'd be hard pressed to find something equally full of suck in the infamously dull town of Homlet in ToEE.

Varn

Educated
Played this through once as a Mage and I remember combat was broken with the harm spell being too uber. Had very memorable towns and c+c tho. Will replay with a technologist now and see if its any better.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Fair enough, fair enough, the palette was sometimes lacking and now that you remind me of those walls, yes, they did look quite shitty, but to the point of people saying “I tried to play this game and it looked like shit so I couldn’t” seems excessive.
Who is excessive now? Your answer was to my post, where I mentioned ugly looks, and I characterized the game as "very enjoyable" in the same post. I liked and finished it.

The problem is that, for me, the starting area can be counted as ugly. Which is a bit of a problem for reviewers who only play 5 minutes.

my bad, i actually meant OP, third post and fifth, i just used your reply to refer to them, stuff like "At first I couldn't get into Arcanum because of the crap graphics".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom