Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
PoE will forever be known as the game that made Avellone leave, what a legacy

:dance:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I wonder why the fuck he left.
Wasn't having fun anymore? He was a creative director of a company that couldn't really afford to be creative.

PoE is the biggest fucking mystary for me. It was Obsidian's chance to shine (and their strength was always storytelling and dialogues, not combat), yet Avellone - their best writer - was barely involved. I assumed that he was working on something that was more important to Obsidian (but not necessarily to Avellone), which suggested that unlike inXile, Obsidian wants (or have to due to their size) to remain a mainstream developer and whatever mainstream title Avellone was working on was more important than PoE.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My sources say he has joined the writing staff for a blobber from some Australia-based indie-dev.

He emailed Eurogamer, where's your email Codex? And Fargo tweeted:

Why not link here, THIS IS A NEWS SITE!

Luzur

Good Sir
M4a1Fhg.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't having fun anymore? He was a creative director of a company that couldn't really afford to be creative.

PoE is the biggest fucking mystary for me. It was Obsidian's chance to shine (and their strength was always storytelling and dialogues, not combat), yet Avellone - their best writer - was barely involved. I assumed that he was working on something that was more important to Obsidian (but not necessarily to Avellone), which suggested that unlike inXile, Obsidian wants (or have to due to their size) to remain a mainstream developer and whatever mainstream title Avellone was working on was more important than PoE.

Hmmm. Have you considered the possibility that he himself, feeling that he was on the way out, decided to scale down his involvement in any one project?

After all, he wasn't JUST working on PoE and mysterious publisher stuff. There was also his involvement in what seemed like a zillion indie projects, Grimrock, FTL, all that stuff. This is not the behavior of a man whose time is constrained.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I don't know if the others were joking but I will say this seriously:
Avellone will join Bethesda for F4llout.

BobtheTree

Savant
Fargo will hire him as lead for inXiles van Buren, mark my words, you have heard it here first

(first in potentially epic thread)
This was my first thought as well. Hope he still stays in the industry. One of a few people who can actually write worth a damn in gaming.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
That took me by surprise. I will be curious to see what he does next.

So that Arcanum LP is never happening, is it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

But F4llout can't be coming out too far from now. Creative writing work is already done.

Robert Jarzebina

peter.jpg
Todd we got a problem.

todd.jpg
What...

peter.jpg
The gamers are complain' about the shit graphics, animations and you know our game doesn't look as good as that damn polish game...

todd.jpg
Yea, fucking potatoes and their Witcher shit. But we got an open world and good story. Right?

peter.jpg
That's the problem man. Writing is not so good neither. Have you fucking read the "Where is my middle aged dog?" quest. Jesus.

todd.jpg
FUCK! I told you get fired that intern long ago. What we gonna do, man?

peter.jpg
Remember Obsidian? They are making these ancient dos looking games, you know, they made our New Vegas too.

todd.jpg
Right.. So what's the plan?

2d4ed3b30fbbe86b239601924f8d89d4.jpeg

howardheader.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Jesus Christ, Obsidian is bleeding talent since NWN 2... I mean, kudos for Feargus to keep the company alive but I dunno if in the name of keeping 100 people working on a tank MMO bleeding all your talent this way was a good idea... anyway, Feargus maybe only interested on making a good cushion for him to retire to make beer at this point.

DramaticPopcorn

I have just got off the phone with all world leaders. Everyone agreed to stop all ongoing warfare and direct all their resources into finding out the truth behind this tragedy that has befallen humanity.

Starting tomorrow, there will be a complete radio and TV silence, whole world will be in mourning over these grave news. This will last for 15 days, representing the 15 years that our lord and savior has dedicated to CRPGs. Every person on the planet will be required to play through PS:T in this time to repent their sins and contemplate what really could have been if only we had listened. Those caught on the street will be asked a question "What can change a nature of a man?" and if they won't give the right answer, they will be executed by Kodex Kurfew Kore.

There is no telling how many lives will be lost in this great mourning but no sacrifice is big enough to save our species from the coming decline. We didn't listen and now centuries of Sawyerism are upon us.

May Tim Cain have mercy on us all.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Hmmm. Have you considered the possibility that he himself, feeling that he was on the way out, decided to scale down his involvement in any one project?

After all, he wasn't JUST working on PoE and mysterious publisher stuff. There was also his involvement in what seemed like a zillion indie projects, Grimrock, FTL, all that stuff. This is not the behavior of a man whose time is constrained.
He was a co-founder. He wouldn't leave unless he really, really had to and the only reason for that would be working on titles he didn't really want to work on. In fact, that would explain working on the indie projects on the side - the only creative outlet he had? I'm just guessing, of course, but I don't think working on games like DS3 and Stick of Truth and a bunch of cancelled action titles was his dream come true.

InXile seems to be having all the fun these days, while Obsidian's constantly between layoffs and knee-deep in canceled projects. So what would make a truly creative Creative Director leave the company he co-founded? Assuming he isn't sick or anything of that sort, it would be an opportunity to do what he really wants.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Chris Avellone said:
Life’s too short to spend 40+ hours a week doing something that makes you uncomfortable, unhappy, or undervalued.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

This would not surprise me at all. One of the biggest things FO3 got hammered on was the garbage writing and garbage story. Bethsoft has to know they need to up their fucking game in these departments. The only thing that makes this unrealistic is the time frame -- FO4 is likely already in development, with a storyline already in place (supposedly). Bringing him on board now means what, scrapping the story in place and starting over? Stranger things have happened but, well . . . .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom