Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shivering Isles review

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Got the expansion yesterday Finished the main quest this morning. It's hard to review an expansion based solely on the merits of the expansion alone, but here we go. By the way, I beat it in 7 hours.

The tagline for the expansion should have been "If you liked Oblivion, you'll like Shivering Isles". The expansion offers a new land mass, approximately 1/4 the size of Cyrodil, and provides the player with a good variety of questing, exploring, and fighting, and you will do much of that during your stay at the Shivering Isles. First, let's talk about presentation. The Shivering Isles looks nothing short of spectacular, with a much more stylized presentation than the comparatively tolkien-esque landscaping and architecture of Cyrodil. Some players have commented that the Shivering Isles remind them of Morrowind, and for good reason. The local flora and fauna feel absolutely alien in comparison to Cyrodil's sublunary forests and terrestrial animals.

There are no deer in Shivering Isles.

The change in scenery is a refreshing one - and rewards players who are patient with exploring, despite the implemented fast travel. You'll never know what's around the next bend of the road. There are no horses in Shivering Isles, or any sort of mount, but you won't really find yourself wishing you had one, either, as the scenery is varied and stylized enough that you can travel on foot and still find yourself enjoying the scenery.

One of the greatest improvements over Oblivion are the quests. Okay, you're still stuck on a rail when it comes to the main mission, but there's a divergent fork in the rail a few quests down the line. Even though the fork eventually reconverges for the one possible ending, it's still a refresing change of pace and actually makes the player feel like he's more than just an interactive plot advancement device. Some quests even have multiple solutions! The quest narrative are also much improved, with much more detailed presentation of all the elements involved. Unfortunately, even the more potentially complex quests become watered down chug fests thanks to the infamous green arrow. The Shivering Isles makes the player think even LESS by providing an ingame represenative of gamefaq.com. Not to spoil the plot for you, but there's a certain someone you can summon to walk you through each quest in the main quest line, whenever you get stuck and can't seem to locate the green arrow on your compass. It's a nice touch, and it's always good to know that Bethesda took the time and money to implement something to help out those customers who suffer from severe mental retardation.

Another major roleplaying improvement provided in the expansion is to provide the player with some benefits and extra benefits and stuff to do after the completion of the main quest, pertaining to the rank the player achieves by the end of it. It gives the player a sense of accomplishment, and some additional gameplay elements regarding his newfound office. It's a nice touch, and is certainly a step towards the green arrow on the compass of questing for a better roleplaying experience. On the other hand, Shivering Isles has its own share of bad, bland, and sometimes downright horrid quests. There are more than a few instances, especially in the main quest line, where the entire quest is just about you going down to some dungeon, committing genocide, and finding something or some one at the dark end of it all. Sure, Oblivion was filled with those kinds of quests also, and they're fun once in a while, but sometimes it get repetitive. FAST. The expansion does come with a good dose of cool new weapons and armor, which all add quite a refreshing change of pace.

All and all, in the end, Shivering Isles feels like an extra large DLC. It really didn't change or even try to improve the core gameplay elements. It didn't add anything new in terms of new weapon types, mounted combat, or even less horrid looking elf chicks, but hey... If you like Oblivion, you'll like Shivering Isles, and that's that. If you were hoping for some new gameplay elements or an expansion that featured something MORE than just a new landmass, you're going to be disappointed. If you suffer severely from a case of stupidity and find yourself stuck despite the green compass arrow, then you'll be real glad Bethsoft will hold your hand through it all with Mr. summonable walkthrough, which, by the way, I still find damn hilarious.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't await to play it, it's taking so frikkin long to download. [by torrent, of course. I would never buy anything by Bethesda again.]

I suppose it's going to be hilarious. Not only because of the ingame-jokes, but also because of that ingame hint-dude. I expected much by Bethesda, but that is so fucking handholding... I'd never thought they'd seriously implement something like that. This is retardism².

denizsi

Arcane
Not to spoil the plot for you, but there's a certain someone you can summon to walk you through each quest in the main quest line, whenever you get stuck and can't seem to locate the green arrow on your compass

Holy fucking shit, Bethesda surprises and delivers each time! They certainly are capable of getting lower and cheaper, there is just no bottom to hit for them!

Texas Red

Whiner
hei ghuis how u sumon that helping dude i donno how to do it!!!1 and what does that arrov in teh buttom do?1/

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The Walkin' Dude said:
hei ghuis how u sumon that helping dude i donno how to do it!!!1 and what does that arrov in teh buttom do?1/

Don't know. I quit the game because it was too hard.

franc kaos

Liturgist
Well I 'got' it. Reinstalled Oblivion, patches, shivering and about 50 essential mods - it wouldn't load. checked the forums out and...

Shivering Isle isn't compatible with Vista - or most of my favourite mods it appears. Tried the XP compatible tick, and run as admin, still no go. Fucks sake, even Oblivion ran on Vista as is with all the mods.

Way to go Bethesda...

Lumpy

Arcane
franc kaos said:
Well I 'got' it. Reinstalled Oblivion, patches, shivering and about 50 essential mods - it wouldn't load. checked the forums out and...

Shivering Isle isn't compatible with Vista - or most of my favourite mods it appears. Tried the XP compatible tick, and run as admin, still no go. Fucks sake, even Oblivion ran on Vista as is with all the mods.

Way to go Bethesda...
Yeah, I agree. When you pay for a game, it'd better fucking work.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
So at least the quests got a little better, huh... That would be reason to be a little more optimistic for the future, except the Same thing happened with Tribunal and Bloodmoon, but then they did they fall below that level again with Oblivion.

Well, I don't feel compelled to get this, maybe later from the bargain bin.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Not to spoil the plot for you, but there's a certain someone you can summon to walk you through each quest in the main quest line, whenever you get stuck and can't seem to locate the green arrow on your compass

Please tell me that certain someone is a digital representation of Todd Howard. For some reason that seems the only choice that would fit the idiocy of that particular feature.

Balor

Arcane
"Please tell me that certain someone is a digital representation of Todd Howard. For some reason that seems the only choice that would fit the idiocy of that particular feature."
Don't get your hopes up - even if he IS one, I bet he's marked 'essential' and, therefore, immortal.
On the other hand, it means you can kill him again... and again... and again... mwahahahaha!

Krafter

Scholar
I always laugh at peple who don't think that when a game series moves to consoles that it won't be dumbed down. The quest arrow is so ridiculously bad, and even that wasn't stupid enough for the new console audience, heh. Elder Scrolls V will probably have a 'win' button, right next to a 'level up for free!' one.

As for the Shivering Isles, I'll probably wind up buying the inevitable Oblivion + expansions pack for $10 in a few years, when I'm bored and out of real games. It's sad, really. Daggerfall is one of my favourite games of all time, and the game responsible for getting me into RPGs in the first place.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Krafter said:
I always laugh at peple who don't think that when a game series moves to consoles that it won't be dumbed down. The quest arrow is so ridiculously bad, and even that wasn't stupid enough for the new console audience, heh. Elder Scrolls V will probably have a 'win' button, right next to a 'level up for free!' one.

As for the Shivering Isles, I'll probably wind up buying the inevitable Oblivion + expansions pack for $10 in a few years, when I'm bored and out of real games. It's sad, really. Daggerfall is one of my favourite games of all time, and the game responsible for getting me into RPGs in the first place.

And now I really think that the predictions made in the "predictions for FO3" thread, or whatever it was called, are going to become true. Like the auto-kill-enemy-after-dying-in-combat-twice-button and the auto-teleport-to-quest-location button. If they include a walking walkthrough in the game, we'll have to look forward to a lot of things that will insult the mind of all beings able to think for themselves.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Since there was some interest in Mr. Walkthrough, I guess I'll elaborate on him a little. Careful though, thar be spoilers ahead.

Well, it got pretty bad. There was one time, for this one quest, in which you play the role of an inquisitor trying to grill out a conspiracy that may or may not exist against a paranoid duchess. The quest is pretty nicely designed, where you go around talking to various court officials and trying to get them to talk by sweating them for info.

But anyway, at one point, you grill this one guy and he confesses that he's in league with a certain conspirator whom I'll call Jim, for spoiler's sake. The confession isn't really outright and the dialogue is actually kinda subtle. Is he lying? Who is this Jim fellow anyway? Is he trying to frame Jim? Maybe instead of going to Jim right away, you should consult the Duchess? All of this sets up for a nice mini-mystery. WRONG. Anyway, just in case you didn't know what to do next, the game has:

1. An entry in your quest journal that says "So and so has confessed that Jim knows more about the conspiracy at hand. Perhaps you should seek him out. He usually resides at <location>".

2. The green arrow on your compass pointing straight to Jim

and

3. Mr. Summonable Walkthrough, who suggests that you should talk to this Jim fellow and find out what he's up to.

GEE, I DON'T KNOW... It seems like the guy who wrote the dialogue has nothing to do with the guy who designed the quests. The dialogue tries to set things up for intrigue and mystery, but the green compass, the journal, and dumbass walkthrough man just blows all that potential away. Weird, huh?

The quest ends with you arresting this Jim guy and he/she gets executed after confessing. Quest over, r00fles.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Elwro said:

HEY, you :D now, but when you get to that one quest in Fallout 3 where you have a "teleport to quest location" button, a journal that tells you exactly where the GECK is, and a summonable Dogmeat (voiced by Patrick Stewart) who tells you exactly how to get there, oh you'll :(.

You'll fucking :(.

Starwars

Arcane
GEE, I DON'T KNOW... It seems like the guy who wrote the dialogue has nothing to do with the guy who designed the quests. The dialogue tries to set things up for intrigue and mystery, but the green compass, the journal, and dumbass walkthrough man just blows all that potential away. Weird, huh?

It really is a shame because the setups for some quests (and the intial idea of Mania and Dementia) are actually pretty nice sometimes, but it's always ruined by the quest arrow or the overclarification of the journal.

It's also a shame that they use Sheogoraths sidekick as a walkthrough, since I think he's without a doubt the NPC with the best voice/dialogue in the expansion. Sheogorath himself is incredibly annoying to listen to, and this dialogue is absolutely awful. The way it tries to be funny/witty in a confused and CRAAAAZY!!! way, it just completely fails to deliver.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Someone ought to mod Fallout to work like that, so everyone can see the difference.

You recieved a quest to save the town from ratscorpions.

I am at the entrance of the scorpion cave. The rock looks unstable here, I think I could easily bring down the cave with some dynamite.

This appears to be an abandoned mine. You notice an old chest near the wall. You ought to check it.

There was some dynamite in the chest. I should place it near the entrance to collapse the cave.

etc.

You get the idea.

Texas Red

Whiner
Hmmm. The summonable companion is actually a pretty good idea. It could be like Morte, who gives you information and some witty remarks. Whenever something happens he appears and you can have a chat with him. He could get you special rewards through the right conversation choises, because his ghostly form enables him to do what you cant.

But Heavens forbid actual dialogs in future games. Although NWN 2 OC exceeded my expectations for them.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Sounds very much along the lines of many things Bethesda do - have a good idea, and then totally screw it up in the most retarded implementation imaginable.
There was similar potential for the painting quest in OB but it too failed to deliver.

A summonable spirit could also be a useful feature - but not as a next step guide.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Claw said:
Someone ought to mod Fallout to work like that, so everyone can see the difference.

You recieved a quest to save the town from ratscorpions.

I am at the entrance of the scorpion cave. The rock looks unstable here, I think I could easily bring down the cave with some dynamite.

This appears to be an abandoned mine. You notice an old chest near the wall. You ought to check it.

There was some dynamite in the chest. I should place it near the entrance to collapse the cave.

etc.

You get the idea.

Cool, I didnt know you could close the cave with dynamite. Thanks :)

made

Arcane
So it's kinda like Oblivion, with added content and some minor tweaks? Who would have expected...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom