Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Shit in RPGs that piss you off

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Like most the loot, everything's disposable nowadays.

The more you think about it, the more it's true.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Systems where the system designer didn't think about the marginal utility of stat increases, or it was at best an afterthought. I hate it when I have to either restart multiple times or savescum to determine what numbers will get me farther "cough" AoD "cough" or look up things online.
Part of the problem is developers not properly communicating what each stat does and part is making a large amount of skills and only thinking afterwards what to use them for, which leads to useless or gimmicky stuff like languages in Daggerfall or unarmed in Fallout that are incredibly frustrating if your metagaming ability isn't up to par yet.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Part of the problem is developers not properly communicating what each stat does and part is making a large amount of skills and only thinking afterwards what to use them for, which leads to useless or gimmicky stuff like languages in Daggerfall or unarmed in Fallout that are incredibly frustrating if your metagaming ability isn't up to par yet.

Some people will kill you for pointing that out.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Some people will kill you for pointing that out.

It's a problem most codexians will look past at since I think unwillingness to sink time to learn systems is seen as a sin (for a good reason you could argue).
If system designers could learn and apply some economics it might be a different story, because economics is all about incentives and in mathematical terms it's mostly what happens in the margin.
I always keep wondering why developers tend to have a primary stat in single player games that increases health, since it's usually the one that you never want to max first, or increase it over offensive or utility skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom