Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Shin Megami Tensei V:Vengeance leaked Full Famitsu Developer Interview (reddit)
- With game director Shigeo Komori and character designer Masayuki Doi
Source: http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/73407

- The new character Yoko was considered for an appearance in the previous game, but was ultimately passed over. She will be an important character in the revenge story of this game, so her appearance is long overdue.

- The new character will allow the existing characters to show a different side from that of the Canon of Creation.

- The relationship between the characters may change significantly.

- The main character running in the sky in the PV/trailer is a new element of field exploration. Finding them will bring shortcuts, new demons, quests, and other fun.

- All demons will be equipped with some kind of characteristics, so that demons that were weak in the previous game may become stronger through new usages and combinations.

- Level compensation has been revised so that even low-level players can defeat strong enemies with a little ingenuity. (level balancing)

please don't be too easy :negative:
It already has a super easy journalist mode or catering to people that don't play games or buy this game mode on Switch

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Shin Megami Tensei V:Vengeance leaked Full Famitsu Developer Interview (reddit)
- With game director Shigeo Komori and character designer Masayuki Doi
Source: http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/73407

- The new character Yoko was considered for an appearance in the previous game, but was ultimately passed over. She will be an important character in the revenge story of this game, so her appearance is long overdue.

- The new character will allow the existing characters to show a different side from that of the Canon of Creation.

- The relationship between the characters may change significantly.

- The main character running in the sky in the PV/trailer is a new element of field exploration. Finding them will bring shortcuts, new demons, quests, and other fun.

- All demons will be equipped with some kind of characteristics, so that demons that were weak in the previous game may become stronger through new usages and combinations.

- Level compensation has been revised so that even low-level players can defeat strong enemies with a little ingenuity. (level balancing)

please don't be too easy :negative:
This would actually be good, because the level scaling was absolute shit in SMT5.
Are you sure? Seems to me another instance of their recent difficulty "adjusting" trend that, creating player-side extra mechanics that trivialize the game. See P5 Royal and P3 Reload.
SMT5 scaling was shit because you had to be in a certain level range to do appropriate dmg. Having had a demon with good stats but a LVL ten-fifteen levels beneath the demon you're fighting gimped him heavily in every aspect.

Ivan

Arcane
Expansion pack like Nocturne was to SMT3.

Also, I probably will be buying like 20 copies of this game. Anyone here who is genuinely interested in it who never got to play it on the switch, or has a friend who wants to try out the genre?
I've only played Atals' Persona titles (the recent ones at that, 4G, 5R, 3R). I'd like to get my feet wet with a SMT title if you're still offering. Kind thanks.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Full Famitsu Interview

we’ve revisited level scaling (where enemy strength varies depending on the party’s level), allowing for lower-level parties to defeat stronger enemies with strategy. We’ve adjusted various elements to accommodate different play styles.

the scenario of the “Canon of Creation” arc has not been changed, however systems have been updated to be similar to the “Canon of Vengeance” arc.

In the previous title, there were many comments expressing how they wished the relationships between characters would have been explored more in depth, so we addressed that in the two main scenarios and additional quests in this game. Through each scenario, you should be able to gain a deeper understanding of each character’s inner workings and motivations

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Good on the SMT V team to address the worst aspects of that game. Characters don't need to go full Persona but a bit more meat to their bones will help a lot, considering they became irrelevant by the midway point or had very abrupt developments.

I assume the evolution of mechanics and new elements will be gradually revealed in future updates, but could you give us a few examples? For instance, in the PV, the protagonist is seen running through the air…?

Komori:
That’s the “Magatsu Road,” a feature that makes field exploration more convenient. By finding these locations, you can create shortcuts in your journey and discover new demons, quests, and other enjoyable surprises
Could be VERY useful in Chiyoda. That place was a nightmare to navigate.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Full Famitsu Interview

the scenario of the “Canon of Creation” arc has not been changed, however systems have been updated to be similar to the “Canon of Vengeance” arc.
In the previous title, there were many comments expressing how they wished the relationships between characters would have been explored more in depth, so we addressed that in the two main scenarios and additional quests in this game. Through each scenario, you should be able to gain a deeper understanding of each character’s inner workings and motivations
Alright, good to know. I was feeling like replaying SMT5 but I guess it might be worth putting on hold for now.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Expansion pack like Nocturne was to SMT3.

Also, I probably will be buying like 20 copies of this game. Anyone here who is genuinely interested in it who never got to play it on the switch, or has a friend who wants to try out the genre?
Heh. I was insulting the game for ages despite never having played it.

Sentinel

Arcane
Full Famitsu Interview

we’ve revisited level scaling (where enemy strength varies depending on the party’s level), allowing for lower-level parties to defeat stronger enemies with strategy. We’ve adjusted various elements to accommodate different play styles.

So is the original campaign being changed or not? They say nope but then imply they did change it to address complaints about characters.

d1r

Patron
Five copies for the Dex bought so far. Might do more depending on how much news we get in the future!

Vorark

Erudite
Wonder if Strenght will still be the way to go or if Magic will be throw a bone this time. Boosted Murakumo absolutely slayed late game.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Good on the SMT V team to address the worst aspects of that game. Characters don't need to go full Persona but a bit more meat to their bones will help a lot, considering they became irrelevant by the midway point or had very abrupt developments.
The worst aspect is how bland the open world is and how little you can do to traverse it or navigate it. Hopefully the new sky travel is designed to fix that. It was annoying to play a lot of the levels because they didn't flow well for exploration and adding SMT grind on top of that made late game so tedious. SMT has a problem with games being so draining you never finish them and V did that so much worse with it's open world design. At least in the previous titles you were on a mostly linear path and knew what you were heading towards.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wonder if Strenght will still be the way to go or if Magic will be throw a bone this time. Boosted Murakumo absolutely slayed late game.
I doubt it will change. Magic is relatively OK in SMT5 compared to the older titles, but the Almighty Strength attacks with crit hits just scale better. I don't see them changing that unless magic gets the opportunity to crit now outside of Omagatoki: Critical. My guess is that Atlus will add skills that makes Strength even better.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
dunno about compared to older titles

smt3 magic is better early-middle game
smt4 and smt4a magic was probably better but been a while since last time I played those
strange journey hard to say since you don't have much control of your build but for demons magic is better because of weakness all-out attack and not too many demons are weak to gun/phys. but then all-out dmg was probably tied to str

Hobo Elf

Arcane
SMT3 magic is marginally better than physical in the early game (though once you get Focus at level 23 it's over). But due to the game's calculations you don't even need to invest in the Mag stat to make use of it. You can pump Str, Vit and Agi and you'll still do more than enough with spells if you have their booster passive.

Guns are "OP" in SMT4 but the game is so easy that it doesn't really matter. Spells do less damage in 4A. Some can pierce with smirk, which is useless at the point in which you get access to those spells. Physical all the way.

Strange Journey is a different beast since it's not Press Turn and suffers less from its problems. Overall its damage types feel more balanced.

Edit: it's been years since I last played DDS1&2 so I don't remember how well magic and physical damage was balanced there.

dukeLess

Barely Literate
SMT3 magic is marginally better than physical in the early game (though once you get Focus at level 23 it's over). But due to the game's calculations you don't even need to invest in the Mag stat to make use of it. You can pump Str, Vit and Agi and you'll still do more than enough with spells if you have their booster passive.

Guns are "OP" in SMT4 but the game is so easy that it doesn't really matter. Spells do less damage in 4A. Some can pierce with smirk, which is useless at the point in which you get access to those spells. Physical all the way.

Strange Journey is a different beast since it's not Press Turn and suffers less from its problems. Overall its damage types feel more balanced.

Edit: it's been years since I last played DDS1&2 so I don't remember how well magic and physical damage was balanced there.
In DDS, both physical and magic builds are viable for the game if I'm remembering correctly

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Will I enjoy this if I like Persona? I'm not a fan of the auto-generated dungeons in P3 and P4, so I'm a bit worried that SMT might not be for me.

Anonona

Learned
Will I enjoy this if I like Persona? I'm not a fan of the auto-generated dungeons in P3 and P4, so I'm a bit worried that SMT might not be for me.
SMT's dungeons aren't random generated. But SMTV is kind of open-world, so no dungeons. It depends on how much you enjoy Persona's combat and demon fusion. If those are the main elements you enjoy from Persona, then SMT will be right up your alley. If you want an extensive plot, time management and social links, then there is nothing like that. I'll recommend starting from SMT III Nocturne or SMT Strange Journey, SMT III I think is a good entry point and a good Jrpg in on itself. It stablished the Press-Turn combat system, which was the inspiration for Persona's one-more system. It also has a good balance between plot, ambient and gameplay. SMT Strange Journey is considered one of the strongest entries of the saga. If you like those then you can go either to IV and IV Apocalypse, which have questionable plot and writting, but good combat systems or V, which changes the formula up by being open world with no dungeons and has a lot of QoL improvements compared to past games.

If you enjoy collecting and fusing Personas, play Nocturne or SMTV.

If you want a more story focused traditional JRPG with party members and what not, play the digital devil saga games.

If you like dungeon crawlers, try Strange Journey or Soul Hackers.

d1r

Patron
They pulled the release date forward! It's 14 July now. Elden Ring Expansion pack got them a little bit scared.

Also new page with new info is up!

Law's eating good
yaoIg2w.jpeg

Adolf is back
WIHOMeU.jpeg

jrnIs09.jpeg

N9LXhy9.jpeg

That shit is going to be GOTY. For sure!
Whoever reads this and sends me a message will get a free copy of this game!

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Really excited. I like the bonus for same alignment heroes. Also digging the inherent skills for every demon.

Just wish the protagonist got a redesign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom