Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shenmue 3

Lemming42

Arcane
I played this recently and I really liked going to an island to play games and fight chumps before floating away to find Lan Di. Only issues with the game were the fucking terrible changes to combat and the completely harebrained stamina mechanic.

That said, Shenmue 4 better pick up the pace significantly. I think they can get away with having one game act as a sort of breather entry where not much happens, but two in a row would fuck the whole flow of the series up.

Vatnik Wumao
I played this recently and I really liked going to an island to play games and fight chumps before floating away to find Lan Di. Only issues with the game were the fucking terrible changes to combat and the completely harebrained stamina mechanic.

That said, Shenmue 4 better pick up the pace significantly. I think they can get away with having one game act as a sort of breather entry where not much happens, but two in a row would fuck the whole flow of the series up.

On breather sums up the whole series. Suzuki originally wanted an entire game set on the boat carrying Ryo to Hong Kong. Sega canned that retarded idea.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
If you never played a Shenmue game and you have access to this one because it is dirt cheap on gog for 5 hours; is it worth a try?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you never played a Shenmue game and you have access to this one because it is dirt cheap on gog for 5 hours; is it worth a try?
It's honestly not fun. The game is designed to be as tedious as possible and the plot has no payoff.

I like how theaun character sees two giant constructs and a magical floating thing in the second game, spends the entirety of the third game looking for the one man who might have the answer to this, and forgets to ask him about it once he has found it.

911 Jumper

Educated
First trailer for Shenmue fan game Shenmue: Reclaiming the Path

It's set after the events of Shenmue 2. Zongquan, Wei Zhen from Shenmue 3 and others explore Guilin and the mysteries around PRS and the Chiyoumen. Release date: 16 September 2024 (TBC)

Bit more info (skip to 5:30)

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Shenmue Dojo youtube channel is all kind of autism at once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom